Thread: Primal Rage - Losing it for Good! page

Contrariety is offline Junior Member

Primal Rage - Losing it for Good!

Primal Fuel
    I began eating primally last summer after MDA kept popping up in all of my health related google searches. I have a BA in Anthropology and the lifestyle makes sense to me on many levels. I found great success and lost 20 lbs last summer. I was in the middle of a Whole 30 when I recieved news that I was going to be laid off, and just stopped caring that second. I didn't step on the scale again for 4 months, through which I was laid off, had to move my family in with my parents, my husband had to quit his job to finish his last semester of school and I generally ate whatever the hell I pleased... all this resulting in gaining that 20 lbs back and then some. Since January, I have been attempting to re-primalize about once a month with about one good week and then three bad ones right after.

Living with my parents has not been good for my diet. They do not eat well. They are both diabetic. My mom makes spaghetti with breadsticks once a week which speaks to my inner 12 yr old like nothing else. It has not been good.

So I finally convinced enough family members and friends to do a weight loss competition that I think I can do it this time... even my husband has committed to it. I am pretty competitive and I am hoping this will be the accountability I need to get past the first few weeks and really get burning fat again! So I am hoping over the next 12 weeks to lose 30+ lbs of weight, and maybe gain $500 of winnings!

My plan is to eat VLC during the week, with higher carb days on the weekend. I am hoping to incorporate IF, as I found that very effective last summer. For exercise, I will be walking a lot at first, and hopefully working through an EDL injury and barefoot running again before too long. I will be trying to do some heavy lifting 3 days a week using primal blueprint moves, jilian michaeals, and crossfit type workouts at home. I am hoping that once a week I can get the whole fam out for a hike, which can be challenging with a stubborn 3yo in tow!

We are in between jobs right now, and thereafter will be massively saving for a downpayment on a house, so we're mostly going to have to make do with conventional grocery store / costco fare. Though I have a backyard flock, so fresh, high quality eggs are something we always have. I also have a good sized garden that is producing pretty well. Farmer's Market time is just around the corner. It's a good time of year to eat well, that's for sure!

Beginning weight 7/15/13: 182.3

Most recent weight 7/16/13: 179.2
    Last edited by Contrariety; 07-16-2013 at 10:10 AM.

7/15/13

B: Chocholate Zucchini Muffin

L: Leftover Zucchini Lasagna and few bites of Spicy Mango Sausage with a cran-raspberry La Croix

S: Few grapes and a square of dark mint chocolate and a coconut La croix

D: Scrambled eggs (from my backyard hens!), 1 link of chicken sausage, and 1/4 a red pepper

S: Had to sample my homemade jerky fresh from the dehyrator, another coconut La Croix

Supplements: Magnesium, Kelp, Vit C, Fish Oil x 2, biotin, garlic

Exercise: Walked just under 2 miles, mowed the lawn, practiced grok squat throughout the day (really need to break through my ankle tightness!)

Yesterday was not so much a vegetable day. I'll work on getting more veg today. Last week before the competetition started, I let myself pick up a bit of a Dr. Pepper habit... so the bubbly of the La Croix was most necessary! Lol!

My hubby reports he had a pretty good day and even declined an ice cream bar at work... that's HUGE for him. So proud!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

And good luck with your super duper competition. That would get
    me going for SURE.

Hey, with regard to your 2yo - I don't know your surroundings, neighborhood
    wise, and this isn't really for hiking, but, this thing saved my life with my
    ULTRA LAZY SECOND CHILD:
    Push Around Ride On Buggy II - Walmart.com

He was in it CONSTANTLY.

I got to walk so much that I'm surprised my legs didn't fall off.

A wagon is okay too, but awkward to always have one arm behind you... throws
    off your gait, and they get "bored" in that too because it's "not fast enough".

Please.

With the buggy, you can even do quick sprints to make it more fun for them and
    challenging for you!

Just don't do it too much, or they'll want that 8mph speed all the time. Hahahahaha!

Anyway, good luck to you. I know exercise is a mighty challenge when you have kids.

Mine are 8 and 11 now, but I still remember the days!

Welcome again,

Julia

Thanks for the reply! We actually had that exact buggy for my first when he was little! My youngest is actually 3, almost 4 and fiercely independent, so she's not getting pushed or pulled in anything, thankyouverymuch! Lol! She is a firecracker. We got her brother moved up to a bigger bike which he is awesome on, and moved her up to the one with training wheels, but she's still learning and can't go as fast as I'd like. As far as weekend hikes, we'll really have to think of it as training for her future career in entemololgy, as any bug that crosses her path must be fully explored before moving on.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    HA!!!

I hear you.

My eldest started walking at 9 months, running at 10 months and rode a bike
    a day after his 3rd birthday.

I swear he was trying to kill me.

The only thing that saved me with Lazy Bones, was that damn buggy and
    a gym membership that had child care.

Both of them hated it, but yanno, do you want your mother to be a bitch all
    day because she doesn't get ONE HOUR TO HERSELF, or do you both want
    to man up, grow a pair, and stick out the hour in child care so your mother
    won't have to smother you both with a pillow?

Reluctantly, they chose the child care. Snort.

Good idea with the training in entemology - it could pay for your golden years!

Lately, with us, Lazy stays home with his father while Hyper #1 and I go hiking.

It's perplexing though, since Lazy, at school, there is a program called "mileage club".

Every M,W,F, when you're done eating your lunch, you can run laps around the field.

He was so competitive with THAT, that he got himself a trophy for it for 103 miles in
    first grade, and this year, 2nd grade, another trophy for a total of 108 miles.

But at home, he's "tired". Sigh.

Annoying to say the least! Ha!

7/16/13

Weight: 179.2 (down three lbs, i'll take it!)

B: Skipped
    L: Smoothie (beet w/greens, kale, cucumber, mixed berries, almond milk, and celery) and some homemade jerky
    S: Chocolate zucchini muffin w/ coconut La Croix
    D: Carnitas salad w/ guac and cheese and sour cream.... it was yum!
    S: Two squares dark mint chocolate

I haven't exercised yet as it's pouring cats and dogs, but hopefully will get a walk in, and am planning to make my husband do some PBF basic four movements here pretty quick. Good day.

Beachbrat is offline Junior Member
    I am right there with you. Started PB last year, lots and lots of stressors came along, just gave up. Been trying to get back and am pretty much been having the same kinds of months! Every time I get back to doing what I know is the right thing to do- WHAM- life strikes with another crisis! I am really going to try this time. My main problem is that when I go sideways it is with high carb food which feeds my addiction and takes me 3-7 days to get it under control and get straight again!
    Good luck and great job so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbrat View Post
    I am right there with you. Started PB last year, lots and lots of stressors came along, just gave up. Been trying to get back and am pretty much been having the same kinds of months! Every time I get back to doing what I know is the right thing to do- WHAM- life strikes with another crisis! I am really going to try this time. My main problem is that when I go sideways it is with high carb food which feeds my addiction and takes me 3-7 days to get it under control and get straight again!
    Good luck and great job so far!
    It is really hard to start again! I keep waiting for it to get to the easy part, where I don't have to fight it all the time... where it is just what I do and how I eat. I am really happy I was finally able to get some family and friends to do a competition, because I'm really optimistic this will keep me on track long enough for it to be effortless again.

... have been craving a Mocha, though.. maybe I can fudge it for a weekend treat!

7/17/13

B: 2 zucchini muffins
    L: yellow squash with feta and garlic, homemade jerky
    S: fresh raspberries in the garden and some cheese
    D: omlette with carnitas, peppers, and onions with some cheese

Decent day today. i stepped on the scale tornight and was 178, so hopefully I'll have a good number tomorrow.

7/18/13

Weight today: 176.8 down 6 lbs this week already!

B: Smoothie with beet, kale, cucumber, celery, mixed berries, almond milk, and avocado

L: chicken salad lettus wrap with apple, mayo, walnut, celery, and onion (on the fly, it was yummy!)

S: Chocolate sqaures

D: In and Out double Double, protien style

Exercise, ran just under two miles. so far so good!