Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep yourself motivated? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

How do you keep yourself motivated?

Shop Now
    When I eat primal I do ok, but then some SAD stuff creeps in and my weight increases again. Then it's a vicious cycle of gaining weight, feeling bad or guilty, not eating properly and more weight gain.
    The past two weeks I've been camping and on holidays and I've eaten plenty of marshmallows and hot dogs.
    Just weighed myself and I've gained 5lbs, and I can feel it with the love handles.
    I'm at the beginning of my primal journey and originally lost 5lbs when I completely cut out sugar and fruit.
    I don't feel motivated anymore and those negative voices are telling me that I'm doomed to be fat and unhealthy. (
    I've never been able to stick to anything, whether it's diet, exercise, school, etc. I have no discipline.

So, how do YOU stay motivated?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    it isnt about motivation for me. it is about options.

What do you want? that is the simple thing to ask

I want my health over all other options

therefore you never see me make a choice that would compromise or override that.

motivation indicates a need to entice you to an action you would otherwise not choose...

what motivates you currently to be less than primal/paleo how can you get to wanting to choose it...

as for me it is purely about health, i cant speak for anyone else...

when you have the why to the how to comes of itself.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    What you include is as important as what you exclude. Marshmallows and white bread shouldn't register as food to a fully nourished person so maybe take a second look at your menu and make sure it's nutrient-dense and not just "legal". e.g. I see a few low-carb folks try to survive on generic pepperoni and cream cheese and wonder why they still have cravings. Continue adding good stuff until there's no storage/budget/mental space left for bad stuff.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I am prone to depression, and I used to be on medication. When I eat a SAD, my mood swings are terrible, and my depression can be extremely bleak. When I eat primally -- especially when I avoid wheat and other items that promote inflammation -- that levels out my mood and helps me not only stave off depression but also have a more positive outlook overall. Staying off of medication is extremely motivating!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    today I am really struggling myself. I'm trying to remind myself I've chosen this and the reasons why. It usually works
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I'm prone to depression too and I think traditional SAD food makes depression symptoms worse.
    Today I am weepy, want to crawl in bed with the covers over my head and eat gallons of ice cream. I don't know f I'm sad bc my DH is back to work after 8 months off or if its bc of all the SAD food from the last two weeks.
    I hate days like these but I've never made the connection between food and depression/emotions before.

I'll cheer you on CarbDodger!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I know just how you feel tonight. I could sob my soul out. I'm currently debating whether to take a selection of opiates and just going to bed and sleep it off; which actually isn't a much better choice but at least I wont be this miserable
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't need to motivate myself because I don't give myself any other option, to be honest. I absolutely refuse to eat proxessed foods so this is the only way I can eat. I work out because it is a part of my routine. Even if it's a little workout, it's been a roitiñe for so long that it is unspeakable to break habit.

I'm more than a little OCD...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, the food part is easy for me. I eat tons of awesome stuff all the time, so marshmallows and other crap don't really have any appeal.

I don't have any real difficulty working out, either, since I'm driven to be awesome and working out makes you awesome.

Maybe try looking at the alternative. Get a little scared of going through life being average. Or below average. Believe you deserve more.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I don't need to motivate myself because I don't give myself any other option, to be honest. I absolutely refuse to eat processed foods so this is the only way I can eat. I work out because it is a part of my routine. Even if it's a little workout, it's been a routine for so long that it is unspeakable to break habit.

I'm more than a little OCD...
    You are NOT alone!

The thing that keeps me in line is thinking of all the terrible things that seem to run in my family like cancer, heart disease, etc. I think living the way I do will allow me to stay healthier longer and possibly avoid the things that run in my family altogether.
    Last edited by Huarache Gal; 07-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast