Okay, yes I AM vegan but I have been doing some research lately and am thoroughly confused now. More confused than I have ever been about my health.

To make a long story a lot shorter, I am 37 and decided to start eating a vegan diet almost 2 1/2 years ago. I came to that decision after a lot of research and admittedly after viewing a lot of pro-vegan "propaganda" (I have never felt it to be that, but I know lots of people do). I decided to make the change based on a mixture of health and ethics reasons, and after more than one failed attempt at going vegan over the years. I watched Forks Over Knives, read The China Study and other books and have truly believed that eating animal products is horrible for not only our bodies, but also the planet. I also struggle with the fact that I truly believe we don't really have the right to kill animals for our pleasure.

I found this site about a week or so ago when I started Googling around trying to find some arguments for "the other side", just to see what was being said. And when I started reading a couple journals on here (one by a former vegan), I was horrified (really!) to find myself starting to question my way of eating, especially because I have felt my health going way downhill over the past year or so. I think I have just been trying to deny that it could possibly be my diet, because I feel so strongly about not eating animal products. *sigh*

I have no idea if any of my issues truly do have to do with my diet yet, and hope to get some bloodwork and a physical soon. I had bloodwork done about a year and a half ago and there were a couple things that were marked low on my results, but the doctor didn't feel that anything was abnormal enough to warrant investigating so I dropped it and went on my way. Now I'm doubting even those results. I do believe that a vegan diet can be made to work (at least I think I do....or is it just wishful thinking??) but that maybe I'm just not doing it right. I dunno.

One of the biggest things that is keeping me from having a totally open mind about the PB diet (well, apart from the ethical issues I still have about eating animals) is that it seems to be awfully similar to Atkins, which I always thought was the devil, basically. LOL! I mean, from what I have read over the years.

Any former vegans here who would like to chime in? Or even anyone else who feels they can help me figure some things out? It may sound silly to some, but it's really upsetting to me to even be considering a different way of eating than I've convinced myself is the *right* and *good* way.