Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 9

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    Will probably be seeing a rheumatologist. And still don't really know what the heck I should be eating.
    If you end up being diagnosed with lupus, you might want to look into the paleo auto-immune protocol (lots of info on thepaleomom.com and robbwolf.com).

Good luck.

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    My advise to you is don't over think it. Eat primarily whole foods, supplement with vitamin D (I also take magnesium), stay away from grains. On occasion eat your slice of pizza or piece of cake guilt free.
    Enjoy life!
    Thank you - this is what I am going to try to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Shield_Maiden View Post
    I understand the confusion, conflicts and how this seems to run contrary to everything we know.... But all I can say is be willing to study - and you seem to be - and be willing to shift your paradigms.
    Thanks for your feedback. It is hard, but I AM willing to learn and grow, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    If you end up being diagnosed with lupus, you might want to look into the paleo auto-immune protocol (lots of info on thepaleomom.com and robbwolf.com).

Good luck.
    Thank you so much! Will check those links out. My doctor has just called in my Vitamin D prescription today and also antibiotics (yuck, but I think they are actually necessary this time) for the lingering strep antibodies. She wasn't going to do anything about that, but I started getting a slight sore throat last night and now today it just feels kinda icky, so I spoke to her and she's treating it.

Thanks again to everyone for your input and helpful feedback.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Hey there, please make sure that you are getting Vitamin D3 in your prescription. Doctors often prescribe D2 and it doesn't really do anything. You can get liquid D3 supplements from supplement stores or from sites like Amazon or Vitacost.com. Just make sure the oil it's suspended in is olive oil, not soybean!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hey there, please make sure that you are getting Vitamin D3 in your prescription. Doctors often prescribe D2 and it doesn't really do anything. You can get liquid D3 supplements from supplement stores or from sites like Amazon or Vitacost.com. Just make sure the oil it's suspended in is olive oil, not soybean!
    Funny you should say that - my doctor did originally prescribe D2 and it took 3 days for me to get it changed to D3. BUT now I am again confused because she had me taking 50,000 IU of the D2 for 7 weeks but when my DH finally brought the D3 from the pharmacy this evening, it was just an OTC bottle with an Rx label slapped on it. Each pill is 5,000 IU and she prescribed 2 a week for like 10 weeks. But on the bottle for just normal usage it says take one a day! SO frustrated and confused!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Funny you should say that - my doctor did originally prescribe D2 and it took 3 days for me to get it changed to D3. BUT now I am again confused because she had me taking 50,000 IU of the D2 for 7 weeks but when my DH finally brought the D3 from the pharmacy this evening, it was just an OTC bottle with an Rx label slapped on it. Each pill is 5,000 IU and she prescribed 2 a week for like 10 weeks. But on the bottle for just normal usage it says take one a day! SO frustrated and confused!
    So your doctor thinks you only need 1.3k IU a day. That doesn't seem like much at all. It should be 5k IU a day shouldn't it? (of course, the RDA is 0.4k IU, so maybe your doc things they are being generous)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    I do have a confession to make, that will more than likely make me the laughingstock of this whole thread so far - just thinking about those pigs and cows being butchered (still can't watch that happen) is literally making me want to cry. Ugh. I am going to HAVE to get over this, I know. But it's hard for me, as silly as it may be.

Okay, slinking into the corner now.......
    Roadkill? No, seriously - wild animals, eating a wild diet killed by accident just going to waste .........
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIstressKiki View Post
    Roadkill? No, seriously - wild animals, eating a wild diet killed by accident just going to waste .........
    +1

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I hope I haven't been sanctimonious and a hypocrite over the past few years over my choices (because even before I went totally vegan, I was mainly concerned about the animals), but I have a fear that maybe I have been. And I am truly seeing the error of my ways, much to my own dismay. I think I have been very myopic when it comes to it all, but at least I am seeing that now.
    LibbyLou I congratulate you on seeing the light after a mere 2 1/2 years.

For myself I followed CW for more than 20 years, continually feeling more and more blah as I continued to dilute the nutritional value of my meals (and those of my husband and growing children) with more and more bread pasta and rice and potatoes, less and less meat and eggs, more and more vegetable oil, less and less butter and cream etc etc. All the while believing that my blood pressure, weight gain, sluggishness bloating even insomnia and achy finger joints couldn't possibly have anything to do with my wholesome-as-I-saw-it diet. I was adamant that I was doing the best for my health and that of my family, though the results were not what I had been led to believe they would be.

Embracing the primal foods - and rejecting the grains and oils that had seemed so desirable before - took a change of mindset as well as a change of habit. But it really wasn't long before the results proved I was on track. Now I'm just mad and disbelieving that I stayed with that path for so long! It seems obvious now, I can't see how it wasn't at the time.

Good luck on your primal journey.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    I don't have links right now, but basically, that's not nearly enough to deal with a deficiency. At least 5000 IU per day would be good, for several months, but you can safely take up to 20,000 IU per day. I never listen to doctors when it comes to dealing with Vitamin D and I rarely listen to labels when it comes with how to take my supplements.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I recently went to a local green party meeting and afterwards three of us were having drinks - one person assumed that because I was interested in the green party I would be a vegetarian. I explained that I feel strongly against factory farming but am not a vegetarian, but she wasn't impressed. She has been a vegan for 25 years.

It turns out that there are plenty of people in the green party who are not vegetarians, but they all pay lip service to vegetarianism, in other words, you are accepted so long as you recognize the moral superiority of vegetarianism and when questioned on it, nod in agreement about how everyone should be veggie.

The irony is that I probably eat more vegetables and fruit than the average vegan who also eats bread and pasta etc. I also fully agree that raw veganism , and especially fruitarianism, has massive benefits, I believe that the ideal diet is probably as much raw fruit and veg as possible, plus fish, organ meats, some starches and bone broth.

There seems to be a debate between the raw vegan/fruitarian on one hand and the low carb paleo on the other hand. In fact the best diet, as far as I can see, is to combine the two - they are sides of the same coin as far as I can see.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast