Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 8

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Give them a few years. They'll probably decide that gluten sensitivity is actually Round-Up poisoning.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Give them a few years. They'll probably decide that gluten sensitivity is actually Round-Up poisoning.
    My, aren't we being cynical today! :P Though, we really have messed up our grains--especially wheat--during the past 100-200 years, breeding and modifying them to have more glucose and different proteins. It's really not astounding so many people are having problems with them recently!

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Seriously would not doubt it.

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Hey Libbyou, I was wondering how you've been doing over the last few weeks?
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

Hi JoreyTK, thanks for checking in!

To be perfectly honest, I have gone a little off the deep end here the past couple of weeks. LOL! I finally reached a point of being tired of being so stressed over food and having it basically rule my life that I ate a slice of pizza. Ham and pineapple, cheese and all. So not vegan and not primal, either! I felt bad about it afterwards but put it out of my mind (and then had leftovers later - but only cheese). But the scary part is that I have found myself eating just plain horribly since then - eating anything and everything, which is something I haven't done for years. And as liberating as it may briefly be, I also know it's just not good and that there is no way I would ever go back to eating like that full-time. But just this past weekend we were at a birthday party and for the first time in years, I just picked up a slice of pizza and ate it (again with the pizza!). No making a scene about scraping off the toppings (it was only cheese at least), no having people in my business about my diet, etc. And then I had a piece of cake (but which actually made me feel horrible, as it tasted like nothing but sugar). As much as I haven't really wanted to just be "like everyone else" these past few years as far as diet is concerned, I will admit to it feeling kinda good to be able to be in those moments. So that's still kinda conflicting for me.

My DH made some chili over the weekend also and wanted to put meat in it, so since we have yet to visit the farm I wanted to visit for meat, he got grass-fed from the grocery store (which from what I can find on the internet, I think is okay as far as quality, honesty about the free-range, etc.). I have also had veggie soup with meat in it. And I have continued to eat the best eggs we have found at the grocery store.

I will say that despite eating pretty poorly recently though, I have felt a slight (teeny tiny, but there) difference in my feeling of well-being. Now, that could be just due to not giving a flying eff what I've been shoving in my pie hole (LOL) as opposed to the stress I had been putting myself through, I dunno. But I feel a slight difference. I still don't really have tons of energy or anything, but really, why would I? I've been eating a crap ton of crap.

Okay, this has gotten really long-winded. But THAT is how I've been! Need to get to a place of moderation with it all......but I think I just may be okay.......at some point.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    Any former vegans here who would like to chime in? Or even anyone else who feels they can help me figure some things out? It may sound silly to some, but it's really upsetting to me to even be considering a different way of eating than I've convinced myself is the *right* and *good* way.
    I was vegetarian for 20+ years for the same ethical reasons, and only changed my mind when I saw my lovely dog come down with cancer, and realised through seeing that that NO animal in the wild dies a nice, humane, fear-free death, they either fall sick and starve/dehydrate to death, in pain and fear (animals don't have the same philosophical and abstract-thought based coping mechanisms for fear when ill as we do - I've seen it in my dogs' eyes when they fell sick, even when just an injury from which they recovered), or are eaten by predators when they've become too sick to defend themselves, or they're torn apart anyway just because they're the weakest in the herd, pack, or whatever.

I'm sure you'd agree with me that any pet owner who doesn't have their cat, dog, whatever put down humanely once they can't move about, eat & drink etc, and instead lets them die of the disease (or, worse, shoves them into some wilderness to let predators, including rats and insects, tuck into the still living, sick, frightened animal) is some kind of monster - well, that's nature. The best most animals can hope for is a quick clean kill by a predator.

That's where I now place us, as humans, and why I eat meat, though I do as vigilantly and meticulously challenge myself to buy from sellers with high animal welfare standards (and support charities like Compassion In World Farming) so it doesn't need to be all or nothing, love animals or not give a damn.

For me, eating meat now isn't about pleasure, per se, it's about health, and when you think of the millions of animals per year that die truly miserable and usually pointless deaths in testing labs as companies seek to come up with new medications to treat obesity-related illnesses, the best animal-welfare act of all is to help move society towards greater health via sound nutrition.

But nature's a cruel thing in itself and a non-botched slaughter in a western slaughterhouse is always still going to be kinder than anything natural life, eg, if humans ceased farming, could deliver.

You might want to look up slaughterhouse protocols yourself, I did, they're not THAT bad, it's the botched slaughters and cruelty that usually stem from an underpaid workforce we still very much need to be active stamping out - ironically, that won't happen if it's just hardcore vegans versus meat freaks who don't give a damn, so if you become a consumer of meat products, you'll be very well placed to REALLY make a differece, through what you buy, and what you discuss with other people.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Lady D; 08-08-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Nice to meet you, LadyD - and thank you for such an insightful post! I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything you wrote - even if I don't want to believe or agree with all of it.

..so it doesn't need to be all or nothing, love animals or not give a damn.
    THIS is one of the biggest things I am working on truly understanding. I think I am getting it...slowly but surely.

Quick update for any who are interested, because I got the results of a ton of labwork back today.

Apparently the doctor thinks I DID have strep a few months ago that was never treated, which could be causing some issues still. I'm also pretty low on Vitamin D and "borderline" for lupus.

So....yeah. About all I know! Will probably be seeing a rheumatologist. And still don't really know what the heck I should be eating.

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hi LibbyLou,

I was raw high carb vegan for 3 years. Gotta say I felt pretty good and my blood work was outstanding. My biggest problem was that first, it seemed like I was hungry all the time. I would literally eat up to 15 lbs of food a day. Also, it was tough in social situations. Living in the mid-west, people look at you like you have a 3rd eye or something. So, after researching primal/ paleo. Decided to try it about 2 months ago.
    My advise to you is don't over think it. Eat primarily whole foods, supplement with vitamin D (I also take magnesium), stay away from grains. On occasion eat your slice of pizza or piece of cake guilt free.
    Enjoy life!

I'm an ex vegan, nearly 5 years; at least 3 of those were a raw vegan. The science and nutrition led me here. And the ethics. Veganism is detached from life and causes more suffering and damage to the environment and animals, than properly sourced (good farms, pastured, etc) animal foods. I eased into paleo/primal on instinct basically. First vegetarian, then I removed the dairy and started on only fish and beef/bison/lamb, and worked in from there. Now I'm even eating bacon lol

I understand the confusion, conflicts and how this seems to run contrary to everything we know.... But all I can say is be willing to study - and you seem to be - and be willing to shift your paradigms.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast