Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 7

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    just remember the 80/20 rule. there are gonna be times you'll be around less than optimal food

just do what you can, try not to become a perfectionist because you'll have a bad time
    Yes, I am seeing that! I tend to get a little......obsessive about things, if you couldn't tell. But I am going to try my hardest to relax about it all. I think that I have just been feeling crappy for so long now that I am desperate for something to be the magic bullet that cures it all and once I latch onto something I get obsessive, like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Stina1115 View Post
    Just had to post and say that I also like your avatar

And good for you for being so open-minded about possibly switching from being vegan, I think many aren't, and their health suffers for it. Primal really is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it, so don't stress yourself out too much
    Hi and thanks! I like yours as well!

Jammies, wonderful tips, I truly appreciate your reply. The not following anyone blindly is another thing I need to work on, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JoreyTK View Post
    Yes and no.

Yes because you've surrounded yourself with the vegan idealism for the last two and a half years that eating any sort of animal product is the equivalent to some sort of genocide mass murder. Mentally it's very difficult to shift from such a polarizing thought process. The mind is a powerful thing and trying to overcome that is very difficult. It truly is a journey from veganism to omnivorism (is that even a word?). Don't rush it, let it take its course and find out what works best for you. You don't have to start eating rare ribeye steaks right away. You're on the right path by incorporating some eggs first. Keep that up, eventually when you have the courage try some meat, then work your way from there. Just listen to your body, trust it.

Now that you have eating some eggs over the last couple days, how have you been feeling?
    I think you are absolutely correct about the vegan idealism I've been following. It has truly warped my brain, I think. LOL! But I am definitely going to keep easing into omnivorism (I'm calling it a word!) slowly and am going to TRY TRY TRY to relax, like I said. I think now would be a great time to really ramp up my meditation practice maybe?

As for how I'm feeling eating eggs, I definitely don't feel any worse after I eat them, so that's a plus! I have noticed that I don't feel as full and bloated as I normally would after I would eat say, a piece of toasted Ezekiel bread or English muffin with almond butter and banana. I woke up feeling pretty much as cruddy as usual this morning, but I have to wonder if it's because last night I really kinda pigged out on some fried crap at family's house. Plus had a Straw-Ber-Ita (my sister-in-law offered it to me and I couldn't turn it down! Need to work on that, maybe? ).

I dunno, I need to figure it all out, but I am going to try and do that rationally and sanely and slooooowly.

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    As for how I'm feeling eating eggs, I definitely don't feel any worse after I eat them, so that's a plus! I have noticed that I don't feel as full and bloated as I normally would after I would eat say, a piece of toasted Ezekiel bread or English muffin with almond butter and banana. I woke up feeling pretty much as cruddy as usual this morning, but I have to wonder if it's because last night I really kinda pigged out on some fried crap at family's house. Plus had a Straw-Ber-Ita (my sister-in-law offered it to me and I couldn't turn it down! Need to work on that, maybe? ).

I dunno, I need to figure it all out, but I am going to try and do that rationally and sanely and slooooowly.
    Good to hear you're not feeling worse eating eggs. To my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong, that many vegans think that if they eat any animal products they will automatically feel sick. It's good to know you didn't, that a plus.

You mentioned you don't feel well, can you elaborate?
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

Good to hear you're not feeling worse eating eggs. To my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong, that many vegans think that if they eat any animal products they will automatically feel sick. It's good to know you didn't, that a plus.

You mentioned you don't feel well, can you elaborate?
    Yeah, I was honestly a little scared before I ate the first eggs, but I ended up devouring them and felt perfectly fine after.

As to not feeling well, I know that what I really should be doing ASAP is having bloodwork and a physical, just haven't done it yet. Basically, I can't really remember what it feels like to feel "good", or wake up feeling refreshed in the mornings, or to just have enough energy to feel "alive" and to get through the day happily. But it seems that over the past oh, year or so, it's gotten progressively worse. That along with just feeling.....blah.....most of the time. And for the past month or so, issues with what feels like constant sinus drainage, leading to an almost constant throat tickle, leading to an annoying dry cough. Right before that was a weird sore throat that lasted like 4-5 days and knocked me down big time. Those are the main things.

Oh and I just ran across this blog post that I thought was really nice, and to my surprise, the photos didn't make me cringe as much as I thought they would!

where our meat comes from

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    I had the sinus problem, the mucus in the back of my throat and coughing for 30 years. Last year I discovered it was because of an intolerance to cow milk, including yogurt and cheese. I can tolerate goat and sheep milk products, real butter and heavy cream.
    You might try going without dairy for 21 days to check if this causes your problem, I noticed improvements after 4 Days

Edit. Sorry, Just noticed it is a recent probleem.

Yeah, paleodutch - I've had slight issues for probably years, but obviously for the past 2 1/2 or so, I haven't had any kind of dairy. So I've been trying to research and find out if other things can cause that as well. One of my tonsils has been just a tad bigger than the other one lately too, so naturally I've Googled the crap out of that and have determined that it's most likely just tonsil cancer.

Seriously, I get a little nuts with Dr. Google at times. Huge downfall!

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    Yeah, I was honestly a little scared before I ate the first eggs, but I ended up devouring them and felt perfectly fine after.

As to not feeling well, I know that what I really should be doing ASAP is having bloodwork and a physical, just haven't done it yet. Basically, I can't really remember what it feels like to feel "good", or wake up feeling refreshed in the mornings, or to just have enough energy to feel "alive" and to get through the day happily. But it seems that over the past oh, year or so, it's gotten progressively worse. That along with just feeling.....blah.....most of the time. And for the past month or so, issues with what feels like constant sinus drainage, leading to an almost constant throat tickle, leading to an annoying dry cough. Right before that was a weird sore throat that lasted like 4-5 days and knocked me down big time. Those are the main things.
    Understood, returning to whole foods both animal and plant in unrefined forms will help you sort out some of those maladies you are experiencing. It's hard to know what exactly is causing all the issues your facing but it's probably reasonable to assume it's a combination of too much of soy & grains and not enough of animal products in their natural form. Sure you may be taking supplements, B12 shots, etc but it just isn't the same as the real thing. The body needs the raw building blocks to do what it needs to do.

It's a journey though cause we've all been told all our lives how bad animal products are for us but once you start to eat clean whole foods you will discover just how damn good you can feel. It's just getting past the "animal products are bad" part that's tough but you're obviously open to it. I commend you for the courage to look beyond the vegan world for answers. You should be very proud of yourself.

A previous posted, someone mentioned The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith. I've read it and recommend it as well. It will be a hard read for someone who's still very much in the vegan world but it will at least give you a new perspective. Being someone who was never a vegetarian or vegan it was interesting to read about someone who struggled for over twenty years and was very much an extremist and where she got to today. It is however a very negatively viewed book in the veg*n world so don't expect to discuss it with other veg*ns!
    Last edited by JoreyTK; 07-19-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: poor wording
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

Understood, returning to whole foods both animal and plant in unrefined forms will help you sort out some of those maladies you are experiencing. It's hard to know what exactly is causing all the issues your facing but it's probably reasonable to assume it's a combination of too much of soy & grains and not enough of animal products in their natural form. Sure you may be taking supplements, B12 shots, etc but it just isn't the same as the real thing. The body needs the raw building blocks to do what it needs to do.
    That's what I'm wondering, if too much soy, grains, etc. for this long is all taking its toll on my body. And I am not taking ANY supplements of any kind......not smart, I know. My problem has been that I have been so dead set on being vegan, but am also against taking a bunch of meds, supplements, etc. I am afraid that I may find out that I have really screwed myself up because of that - but if so, hopefully it's all reversible now that I'm coming to my senses!

It's a journey though cause we've all been told all our lives how bad animal products are for us but once you start to eat clean whole foods you will discover just how damn good you can feel. It's just getting past the "animal products are bad" part that's tough but you're obviously open to it. I commend you for the courage to look beyond the vegan world for answers. You should be very proud of yourself.
    Thank you! And you're right. While I was growing up I was never told anything except to eat by the food pyramid. It wasn't until I got into my 20's that I hopped aboard the "animal products are bad" train, and then it took a while still before I took the plunge into veganism. Now to find out that I may have been misled is kind of annoying, to say the least. And of course, as open minded as I am trying to be and as much as it truly is making sense to me, I still have that nagging doubt lurking in the back of my mind telling me that I will never know the correct way to eat!

I have The Vegetarian Myth on my to-read list. Hopefully I can get to it soon.

Bonnie_Liesel is offline Junior Member
    Me again!

Oh my goodness - what an absolutely amazing thread. It's so lovely to read such compassionate responses when this is such an emotive topic. I feel surprised but I shouldn't be.

LibbyLou - I could've written 99% of what you've written in this entire post myself. Every single word. Every emotion. Every mindset. Except I made my own scrambled eggs! ...because my son won't eat them as he says they taste like meat. Not that he'd know. I watched that video of the pigs going to 'heaven' and it really upset me. I'm 37 too, I think perhaps we've been separated at birth, lol.

Thank you to all who've replied here. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was vegan for 18 months & intended for it to be for life. I have similar health issues. Tests show nothing is wrong but there seriously is. Adrenal fatigue. Anxiety. Depression. Major fatigue - not connected to having a young child as I was fine when he was a baby!! Excess weight particularly roundly middle...all sorts.

LibbyLou - gluten sensitivity? The throat and tonsil issues point towards it and it's a sign of Pyroluria (again!). Soy is also a big iffy food.

An earlier post mentioned what you'd said about killing animals for pleasure - if I can explain how it was for me until now. As far as I was concerned eating a plant based diet was the only way to gain real health. I was convinced that animal products were the devil. After months of deliberation I now believe that I was wrong (I never say this) and that it's a very individual thing. Some people thrive on plants only and some on omnivorous foods (if they aren't inflammatory factory farmed horrors). This is why I would have said that eating animals was purely for pleasure or appetite. I wouldn't say this now.

I really appreciate this thread.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bonnie_Liesel, I do think we may have been separated at birth! Even just a month ago, I would never have even entertained the idea that some people just plain need animal products to thrive.

I have been wondering about a gluten sensitivity, but have yet to truly try to cut it out completely to see (but I guess that will be part of trying this way of eating out). I also tend to carry extra flab/weight around the middle, where I never used to, not even right after I had my son. Granted, I haven't been exercising like I should be lately, just because I honestly do not have the energy. It's very discouraging.

I am so glad you are finding this thread helpful. I am as well - I appreciate everyone who is participating. Keep it up!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast