Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 6

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here are some random links to ex-vegans who traveled a road similar to yours. Hopefully they will give you some insight or comfort? Good luck on your journey.

http://letthemeatmeat.com/tagged/ExVegan_Interviews
    A Vegan No More - The Story of a Recovering Vegan at Diet & Nutrition Support Forum crossposted to News forum, extra content: embedded image, threadID=1728051
    Vegan no more
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Thank you so much, FW for your wonderfully thought out (beautiful, really!) reply - that makes so much sense. It truly does. And thanks to everyone else who is replying as well. It's helping me a lot in coming to terms with the fact that I just may need to eat some meat every now and then. I think I'm totally back on board with eggs, but the meat may take some more time.

I'm really not sure how I might transition back into it yet. I do know that I won't go back to eating any and all, like I did before I became vegan (pepperoni, sausage, bacon, etc.). My whole goal here is to just be the healthiest I can be while still respecting and giving thanks for any animals I do eat. I am just so tired of being exhausted from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed, having zero energy, being depressed, and so on. My problem may not be my diet, like I've said before, but I just have a nagging feeling that it could be and that this way of eating (and lifestyle in general) makes so much sense that it's what I need.

I have to say though, I think it's consuming me a little too much this past week or so. I had a dental appointment that took longer than what I anticipated today and by the time I was done I was famished. I had to pick my son up at my sister-in-law's and as soon as I walked in I was offered these donuts she had made - my son insisted because they were SO delicious and wouldn't you know, she made them with no eggs and almond milk, just so I could try. I didn't even think twice, I downed one in a split second. Then remembered, oh yeah, I'm trying to cut out sugar (sprinkled on top), flour, etc. Then I got a little mad at myself and THEN I started thinking that this whole business of being SO mindful of what I eat is just crazy and I had a moment where I wanted to eat ALL THE THINGS, not caring what they were. Gah! My semi-Paleo friend says that's normal and it gets better.......I sure hope so.

I also feel like I'm just plain tired of being the odd one when I go to other people's houses, restaurants, etc. It's been a real PITA at times since I've been vegan, and from what I'm reading and finding out, it may not be much better on this type of plan.
    Any insight, tips, advice? I know that in the grand scheme of things, if my goal is to be the healthiest I can be and to be able to really LIVE my life, it shouldn't bother me if I have to be the odd one, make special request, etc. But it just gets irritating.

Please everyone, keep posting! I need all the support and advice I can get here!

Quote Originally Posted by JoreyTK View Post
    Here are some random links to ex-vegans who traveled a road similar to yours. Hopefully they will give you some insight or comfort? Good luck on your journey.

Let Them Eat Meat
    A Vegan No More - The Story of a Recovering Vegan at Diet & Nutrition Support Forum crossposted to News forum, extra content: embedded image, threadID=1728051
    Vegan no more
    Thank you so much! These are the kinds of things I've been reading about and I am always open to reading more.

And tell me, anyone - am I making this WAY too harder than it needs to be?!! Just be brutally honest.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    yeah
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Thanks, bloodorchid, I kinda figured as much.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    just remember the 80/20 rule. there are gonna be times you'll be around less than optimal food

just do what you can, try not to become a perfectionist because you'll have a bad time
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Just had to post and say that I also like your avatar

And good for you for being so open-minded about possibly switching from being vegan, I think many aren't, and their health suffers for it. Primal really is pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it, so don't stress yourself out too much

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps ease in to it a bit. Buy bones from the market and make chicken stock. The animals were not killed for those parts - they really are just leftovers that would otherwise go to waste. Chicken stock is very nutritious and you can pack it full of whatever veggies you want and some sea salt.

-You could also try easing in with a bit of seafood here and there. Salmon or shrimp would be a great addition to your diet. I believe I had read that the wife of Mark Sisson is actually a primal pescatarian.

-Cook your veggies in rendered beef tallow or lard. Again, this is a product that would otherwise go to waste. So you are just making the best use of an animal that was already killed.

-Finally, if there is any way to add some chicken liver to your diet, you could get a LOT of vitamins and mineral that you are missing from a very tiny amount of food. These are often thrown out in the US. I hate liver and it is tough to eat, but so nutritious and prevents the waste. I make Julia Child's Liver Mousse recipe with a half an apple added in to the recipe. It is actually good.

While not all of us came from veganism, at some point or another most of us that are here had to look at our way of eating and honestly say this isn't working for me. Low fat/high carb, veganism, SAD..... the important part is that you are not following anyone blindly. Find what works for you, both physically and emotionally.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    And tell me, anyone - am I making this WAY too harder than it needs to be?!! Just be brutally honest.
    Yes and no.

Yes because you've surrounded yourself with the vegan idealism for the last two and a half years that eating any sort of animal product is the equivalent to some sort of genocide mass murder. Mentally it's very difficult to shift from such a polarizing thought process. The mind is a powerful thing and trying to overcome that is very difficult. It truly is a journey from veganism to omnivorism (is that even a word?). Don't rush it, let it take its course and find out what works best for you. You don't have to start eating rare ribeye steaks right away. You're on the right path by incorporating some eggs first. Keep that up, eventually when you have the courage try some meat, then work your way from there. Just listen to your body, trust it.

Now that you have eating some eggs over the last couple days, how have you been feeling?
    Last edited by JoreyTK; 07-19-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast