Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 5

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't doubt that you will make a conscientious choice whichever path you choose; I'm sure you will be considering the well being of others as well as animals and the planet. We are living in a very flawed system, one that by simply living we are forced to be accomplices in actions that cause harm and suffering so as conscientious beings we do the best we can. I want to encourage you as you consider the options to keep in mind your own health. Remember to nourish yourself.

I say this because I have a friend who really believed being a vegetarian was the most ethical choice and yet her health suffered, so she attempted eating primal but always struggled with it. She would often skip eating because she didn't have access to the right kind of primal foods (humanely raised proteins) or didn't take the time to prepare foods. She told me she actually felt better eating primally but she could't stick to it. She set the bar too high for what she felt was okay to eat. I often reminded her not to let perfect be the enemy of the good. She lives a chaotic life and she tells me that when her life is more settled she will eat more primally because her body feels much better when she does. It was not easy for her to accept the fact that she her body does better on a diet that she feels is not the most ethical.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Your avatar is the second cutest...
    Aw, love yours too!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I say this because I have a friend who really believed being a vegetarian was the most ethical choice and yet her health suffered, so she attempted eating primal but always struggled with it. She would often skip eating because she didn't have access to the right kind of primal foods (humanely raised proteins) or didn't take the time to prepare foods. She told me she actually felt better eating primally but she could't stick to it. She set the bar too high for what she felt was okay to eat. I often reminded her not to let perfect be the enemy of the good. She lives a chaotic life and she tells me that when her life is more settled she will eat more primally because her body feels much better when she does. It was not easy for her to accept the fact that she her body does better on a diet that she feels is not the most ethical.
    Oh my, this sounds like me already! I feel like my head is spinning with my inability to figure out just what I should eat and worrying about finding the right kind of primal foods. I feel like if I can't do that, then I will end up barely eating at all. I am already driving my poor DH insane, I'm afraid. *sigh*

[QUOTE=LibbyLou;1254327

Oh my, this sounds like me already! I feel like my head is spinning with my inability to figure out just what I should eat and worrying about finding the right kind of primal foods. I feel like if I can't do that, then I will end up barely eating at all. I am already driving my poor DH insane, I'm afraid. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

In that case this should be your mantra:
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Intention matters, you will not intend to do harm, do the best you can with what you can reasonably acquire. Please be easy on yourself! Try not to stress out about being perfectly primal.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In the end, worms will eat us. Depending on our chosen method of disposal, maybe even small animals and some birds. They scavenge instead of kill, but most of the creatures on earth are food for some other animal.

There are some very respectful producers of animal products. Here are two - one is local to me and the other is from up north, but both deliver a quality product:

Chappapeela Farms | coolest little duck farm in the south with the prettiest pigs around

U.S. Wellness Meats Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Also, Organic Valley, which has products even in mainstream grocery stores has a pretty heavy duty commitment to quality and animal welfare.

Welcome - good health to you!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    In that case this should be your mantra:
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Intention matters, you will not intend to do harm, do the best you can with what you can reasonably acquire. Please be easy on yourself! Try not to stress out about being perfectly primal.
    Thanks, Urban Forager. This is what I will work on!

JoanieL, thanks! I have a few farms that are local to me that I am going to check out. DH bought some eggs last night from the grocery store, but I made sure he got the ones that I felt were the best option as far as humanely raised, etc. I had two for breakfast, woot!

I do have a confession to make, that will more than likely make me the laughingstock of this whole thread so far - just thinking about those pigs and cows being butchered (still can't watch that happen) is literally making me want to cry. Ugh. I am going to HAVE to get over this, I know. But it's hard for me, as silly as it may be.

Okay, slinking into the corner now.......

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    I do have a confession to make, that will more than likely make me the laughingstock of this whole thread so far - just thinking about those pigs and cows being butchered (still can't watch that happen) is literally making me want to cry. Ugh. I am going to HAVE to get over this, I know. But it's hard for me, as silly as it may be.
    Accept that death is necessary to life. Nothing lives except at the expense of other life. This is what it means to be part of the world. Today, the pig must die so that you can live. Tomorrow, you must die to feed the worms. This is taking your place. Denying it (veganism) is blasphemy. Acknowledging it sacred. Not easy, but honest.

I love what FW wrote. We too give thanks when we eat, even though we are not religious. Most of the meals we eat are comprised of foods we've either grown/raised ourselves or are from farmers we know, when we eat we think of them. When my husband raised our pigs he took care to make sure their needs were met, when it was time to kill them it was done respectfully w/o unnecessary stress. Taking a life is not something that should be done lightly and it follows that the food that comes from doing so should not be wasted.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Very well said, Finnegans Wake.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    JoanieL, thanks! I have a few farms that are local to me that I am going to check out. DH bought some eggs last night from the grocery store, but I made sure he got the ones that I felt were the best option as far as humanely raised, etc. I had two for breakfast, woot!

Okay, slinking into the corner now.......
    i don't like the thought of animals being killed either, it's okay. i'd have to be in some kind of starvation trouble to make myself kill a deer

wrapped-up-in-packages-meat is delicious, but i don't intentionally correlate it to the animal having to die before i can eat the delicious steak

conversely i can handle a carcass someone else killed with ease, and it's therapeutic to section it down into parts. first time i man-handled a duck body? total meditation
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast