Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New (vegan) member with some questions! page 4

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just want to applaud LibbyLou AND all those who have responded here for being civil and open minded!

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Thanks, Goldie. I appreciate that as well!

Also, beautiful dog in your avatar!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    Thanks, Goldie. I appreciate that as well!

Also, beautiful dog in your avatar!
    Thanks, LL! He's one of the Goldens we rescued, and he's an absolute love bug! Is yours a lab? I love the retrievers! (Although our other Golden is a "receiver", not a retriever. He likes to play keep-away!)

My older daughter tried vegetarian for about a year when she was a teen. I agreed to accomodate her dietary needs, as long as she thoroughly researched what nutrition she'd need, which she did. At the end, she gave it up because she "felt tired all the time" (even though we made sure she got the supplements she was missing from meat products). She also made sure not to wear any leather products or clothing made by killing animals, which in some ways was more difficult to figure out than the nutrition. She was a fashion plate in high school and loved those high heels...

I'm lucky to be able to see the cows, pigs, lambs, and chickens on the farms where I buy my meat. I know the farmers, and know that the animals are treated humanely and fed what they're supposed to eat naturally. It makes a difference for my mental health as well as my physical health!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Thanks, LL! He's one of the Goldens we rescued, and he's an absolute love bug! Is yours a lab? I love the retrievers! (Although our other Golden is a "receiver", not a retriever. He likes to play keep-away!)

My older daughter tried vegetarian for about a year when she was a teen. I agreed to accomodate her dietary needs, as long as she thoroughly researched what nutrition she'd need, which she did. At the end, she gave it up because she "felt tired all the time" (even though we made sure she got the supplements she was missing from meat products). She also made sure not to wear any leather products or clothing made by killing animals, which in some ways was more difficult to figure out than the nutrition. She was a fashion plate in high school and loved those high heels...

I'm lucky to be able to see the cows, pigs, lambs, and chickens on the farms where I buy my meat. I know the farmers, and know that the animals are treated humanely and fed what they're supposed to eat naturally. It makes a difference for my mental health as well as my physical health!
    Yes, he's a lab - and also tends to be more of a "receiver" than retriever. LOL! But he's like another kid to us, we adore him. He's 3 but still acts like a little pup.

I am also tired all the time. Actually no, I'm downright exhausted all the time. From the time I wake up in the morning until the time I fall into bed. And doesn't matter how much sleep I get. Not fun. Of course this may not be from my diet, I may just be dying (my husband doesn't think that's all that funny).

I am planning on maybe visiting the farms I've found online that are nearby to see for myself how the animals are treated, fed, etc. We'll see how that goes!

Finnegans Wake, thank you so much for your reply. Believe it or not, I totally get everything you are saying.

EVERY DIETARY CHOICE HAS ITS OWN RELATIVE IMPACT. Veg*n choices are not necesaarily better, and are usually worse in terms of number of animals killed and even enviro impact (at least when compared to pasture-based livestock). And focusing on diet to the exclusion of all other lifestyle choices is both hypocritical and myopic.

Let's treat animals well. But also humans, and the environment. Eat meat if it's to your taste, or not, who really cares. The false sanctimony of veg*ns over how much more noble and harmonious their choices are as they eat soyburgers and bananas irks me just a tad.

Not saying the OP is guilty of all bad veg*n lifestyle hypocrisy, just saying that people ignore the bigger picture, almost always. You can go slightly mad from all the potential impacts of these choices, so do the best you can.
    I hope I haven't been sanctimonious and a hypocrite over the past few years over my choices (because even before I went totally vegan, I was mainly concerned about the animals), but I have a fear that maybe I have been. And I am truly seeing the error of my ways, much to my own dismay. I think I have been very myopic when it comes to it all, but at least I am seeing that now.

Going slightly mad from all the potential impacts of dietary and other choices in life is certainly not an understatement, that's for sure. I don't really follow any religion per se, but I have been very interested in and studying/reading about Buddhism for quite a while now and I think maybe that has clouded my judgement a tad bit as well. (no harm, etc.)

I am loving all the input and opinions I am getting here, so please keep them coming!

Oh, and why "veg*n" - is it like, a dirty word?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    Oh, and why "veg*n" - is it like, a dirty word?
    the * can be "a" or "etaria." Just an all-encompassing term for meat shunners.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    the * can be "a" or "etaria." Just an all-encompassing term for meat shunners.
    OH, now I get it. Why thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Some of my best friends are veg*ns! Seriously!

There's a difference between veg*ns and veg*ngelicals, and I must say, veg*ngelicals are some of the nastiest, most ill-informed people I've come across. I chalk it up to B-12 deficiency.

"Tibetans are not, as a rule, vegetarians, because in Tibet vegetables are scarce and meat forms a large part of the staple diet. However, it is considered more ethical to eat the meat of larger animals such as yaks, than small ones, because fewer large animals would have to be killed." -- the Dalai Lama
    You may very well be correct about the B12 deficiency and the veg*ngelicals!

Thanks for the Dalai Lama quote. I am investigating all that now as well. Gah, too much going on in my brains lately!

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Your avatar is the second cutest...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast