Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Muscle Mass Without Weights? page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Building Muscle Mass Without Weights?

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys,

I've got a new article up on bodybuilding.com about building muscle mass with bodyweight training. I thought some of you might enjoy it, so here it is!

Bodybuilding.com - Bodyweight Bodybuilder: The Mass-Building Calisthenic Workout
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Your vids are pretty awesome. I think I'm going to start emulating them to the best of my ability.

M.

Thanks!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

yoder is offline Member
    Al, thanks for all your efforts. I've been doing "You are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren, using the structured program, but I am thinking of doing something that may be more focused into gaining muscle mass soon, like you suggest here. And also, really focusing on progressing at the key skills/exercises put forth by you and in CC. I am wondering if you are familiar with Lauren's book and program, and if so, what you see as the differences in his approach and yours?

My situation is that I went Primal a few years ago and lost 100 pounds. Toward the last half of that weight loss period (a little over a year), I was doing bodyweight stuff, culminating in using Lauren's system. Although I was 40 years old, I was in about as good shape as I have ever been, which isn't all that great. And my body composition was not good. It is perhaps no surprise that I didn't put on much muscle when I was losing so much weight, even after I stabilized for a period, and was trying to put on muscle, it didn't really happen. That wasn't for a very long period though. The truth is I've never been able to put on muscle (although my efforts haven't been too great either) and now I'm over 40, and it probably is even harder. I fell off the wagon in terms of my healthier lifestyle for a year and a half, and gained 40 pounds of fat right back. In the last few months, I've lost most of that, but I still have too much fat on the body although I may look "skinny" with my shirt on. I've been doing Lauren's program the last couple months, and I am getting stronger again, but not gaining much mass. But the problem is I still need to lose some fat. You are the same height and weight as I am, but I don't have the muscle.

I am wondering if there is a good personal trainer in my area that follows your type of progressive calisthenics philosophy and understands muscle building/fat loss? I'm in the Washington DC area. The other thing that I've been thinking about is community-type fitness groups for progressive calisthenics. I'm not crazy about some of the direction Crossfit seems to be going, but one thing they seem to have is this supportive/accountable community structure. I was thinking that it would be great if there were groups all over that met regularly at parks with bars, where folks helped each other with their progressions. The more experienced folks could mentor the less experienced, etc. Anything like that going on?

Thanks for the comment, Yoder! Have you heard of Jim Bathurst? I haven't met him personally, but he's got a great reputation in the bodyweight community and he's in the DC area: Change Your Body. Change Your Life.

If you're looking for a group experience in progressive calisthenics, my PCC program might be up your alley:

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!
    Very interesting and inspiring!

yoder is offline Member
    Thanks, Al. Very Helpful. I'm not sure the PCC, which is about certification and workshops from what I can tell, is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a local fitness community right now, but I think I could do the 100 rep thing. (But I can't do any of the more advanced stuff).

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Al

Love your writing and had a question for you regarding your article. You list eg 3x15 for pressups. After completion if this would you increase reps until you can do 3x25-30 before moving onto the next movement in the progression?

Also, how many times a week would you do this ideally? Lastly, what are your face pull up progressions?

Thanks Ak

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff man.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

little vase is offline Senior Member
    This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to start doing some of these today.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast