Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Results of 1/2 Year Strict Experiment page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    isn't cholesterol necessary for testosterone production?

Shh. Don't say that. Then people won't have a reason to take low-T meds.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

dillpgw is offline Junior Member
    I agree that it appears that they know less about cholesterol than they think they do if raising your cholesterol comes along with a whole lot of other good changes to your body.

otzi Guest
    Good job! It's tough to stick to healthy eating while traveling a lot and especially living abroad. What is in store for your next 6 months? Whenever I try something new, I like to do it hardcore for a minimum of six months then make some slight tweaks.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Shh. Don't say that. Then people won't have a reason to take low-T meds.
    i doubt anybody from big pharma is on this board.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Good job! It's tough to stick to healthy eating while traveling a lot and especially living abroad. What is in store for your next 6 months? Whenever I try something new, I like to do it hardcore for a minimum of six months then make some slight tweaks.
    Exactly. My theory was if I didn't do it hardcore I'd never be able to pinpoint what drove the change, if there was a change.

The plan was a 1yr trial ("not a single grain of rice in 2013") with a 6mo measurement. Since it is working I'm not going to make any major tweaks. But I have increased fish, all the evidence points to our ancestors eating a lot of it. I was butter only, but now am adding in some olive oil. May do some ketosis / IF to get down to 12% BF.

Paleo is so simple, not much to tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    isn't cholesterol necessary for testosterone production? too little would mean lower production of this hormone, yes? elevated testosterone would help burn body fat and build muscle too.
    Exactly. The problem with these doctors is they don't seem to synthesize and see the whole. Just fixate on a single (worthless) number. The cholesterol and testosterone increases could indeed be related.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am a physician....and I can tell you that I relate to your story professionally.

A really common thing I have to do (did this with 2 patients today) is to send blood panels back to their PCP's after I have counseled them on nutrition and an endocrinologist has likely changed or removed meds....I almost never see a non-diabetic, so often we are dealing with VERY sick people. I have to give the "there is no maybe. It's change or die." speech a few times a week.

So I get a patient referred because they have eye disease, usually a lot of peripheral neuropathy all over, and after the endo sees them me and a dietician sort out their new diet regimens.....what we end up prescribing most of the time is an abbreviated primal approach, with some big caveats to maintain their blood glucose levels. (Straight primal from severe NIDDM could cause glucose crashes that will kill people in their condition) Over time, I am hopefully able to get them on a normal primal diet. It has been life-saving for some, not an exaggeration.

But that's after I send a 3mo blood panel to their PCP done by the hospital lab. In short, it often looks a lot like yours....with people that 90% of the time are hypertensive....see where this may be a problem?

The VAP saves me a lot of times though, and I never order a whole-LP panel (the old fashioned kind). Usually I am not recommending the kind of fat intake of a young buck on primal, but I still get big pumps in all the LP's.

My main rationale to the PCP's is always the Pattern A to Pattern B ratio. Using this along with often crashing trigly levels, I am almost never having to send them back to the PCP for a different diet consult. So, here goes.

All you need to know about your blood panel, it's ONLY worth when concerning LP's, trigly, or blood glucose is to answer one question: Do you have metabolic syndrome, and how advanced is it?

That's all. The rest is window dressing and cool to track, but I don't count it otherwise....in my case, I am dealing with SEVERE metabolic syndrome, and that is what kills you. Blood sugar, high LDL, low HDL, obesity, that isn't what kills you. Metabolic syndrome kills you, surefire as they come.

In your case, there is NOTHING in that panel that suggests any hint of that. A lot of the other stuff you see on there is a mix of genes and diet, and matters little toward your health, in my humble opinion. Any doctor that sees it as an indicator for much anything else is not keeping up with the research....

Thanks, it's really helpful, and very interesting, to hear from people working in the field!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Excellent post, thanks. Do you plan any changes / tweaks?

Also was wondering, what was your reaction to a lot of heavy cream? I've been almost as strict primal as you, and have also indulged in high fat dairy from time to time (cream or yoghurt) but I find I wake up the next day fairly stiff in muscles and joints so I am trying to avoid.

On heavy cream it is tough to say, I'm still asking myself is it beneficial? And in what ways?

Wheat, potatoes, beer, fruit and milk make me fat, tired and hungry all the time. That much I know for sure.

On cream I went about 3 months strict paleo before adding it so I could judge the effect. Had to go slow drinking it at first, had a "whoh that's a lot of fat your drinking" reaction from my body. But now I'm used to it and it feels great. And I'm guessing it played a role in my high HDL, and perhaps testosterone.

But I wonder about fat gain. There's no insulin response, but a ton of calories. I've maintained at a given BF%, but never managed to decrease BF% while drinking cream. So I've made the rule to only do it when in bulk-up mode. Added good muscle this year doing 12 eggs + cream post workout. It works great for that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast