Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn hormonal acne and worsened inflammation :( page

Aingealag is offline Member

Question Stubborn hormonal acne and worsened inflammation :(

Primal Fuel
    I've been Primal for 4 weeks now (with a few unintentional cheats in the grains area and I had a few bits of milk chocolate as well) and I was really hoping that would clear up some inflammatory issues I have. Mainly they're acne and sinusitis/tonsillitis (the doctors can't seem to agree). Oh and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in January this year, but that's been fairly uneventful.

I can't imagine the few tiny cheats have stood in the way of recovery in the acne area, because I've had this bloody acne for a long time now. The only time I don't get it is when I'm on a really high dose birth control pill. When my body is left to its own devices, my hormones are all messed up. I want to regulate them but I don't know what else to try. I stopped taking that birth control crap in January and have suffered with the acne (around ovulation and pre-menstrual). It's not too bad, but I've been 99.9% off dairy -which I thought was the inflammatory agent- and am disappointed to see yet another cystic lump forming on my chin.

So, how those of you that managed to cure their hormonal acne; what did you do and how long did it take to see results?

I'm tired of the constant state of inflammation I seem to be in. In the second week of going Primal, my sinusitis/tonsillitis came back to stay -after a long absence and 3 courses of antibiotics- and acne has now also spread to my back. Sigh. And although I feel good and sleep better, I do have dark circles under my eyes and people are telling me I look tired. Oh and my bowel movements (sorry if it's TMI) are really slow -only come around every few days whereas before they were daily- and slightly constipated these days. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, or maybe this Primal stuff just doesn't work for me... I guess I was hoping for improvement after 4 weeks... or at least not getting worse! I know about low-carb flu, but it's been a month... I eat plenty of vegetables, all fresh foods, why am I so darn inflamed?

p.s. My zinc levels are ok, I get them tested, I take an occasional quality probiotic and Vitamin D, all is within range.

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Feeling a bit down in the dumps atm.

Thanks,

Wendy
    Last edited by Aingealag; 07-15-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: edited to add p.s.

Anna Kurz Guest
    Hi Wendy, more often than not, once we start feeding our body with real food to aid in it's ability to heal, we will get 'sick' before we get better, before we begin to heal. Sometimes this can show in acne getting worse before it gets better, others can experience extreme rashes which is related to toxins being released, others can experience bouts of candida, and others colds and flu symptons. This will pass as we continue to eat those foods that are good for us.
    In most cases also, someone who has suffered severe acne more than likely has consumed soy products for many years - soy is responsible for much of our distorted hormonal problems including irregular monthly cyles, PCOS, cysts etc.
    Eliminating all suspect foods will aid the body to recover and heal faster by reducing inflammation and bad fat cells that cause our leptin receptors to run crazy.
    Oh and another hint for you, all bulbs foods such as onions, garlic, leeks and fennel are a major cause of siinus issues. Once eliminated from ones diet, the relief that people find is simply amazing.
    Hope this helps.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to say the same thing, you just have to wait it out a bit more and keep up the excellent efforts with the diet.

I've been focussing heavily on anti-inflammatory foods to try and reduce scoliosis pain, but I have only had relatively moderate results. I also have hormonal acne, worse pre-menstral.

Things that have helped are: 2+ cups of green tea per day, including ground linseed and kelp powder and lots of berries in my diet. Fish oil supplements. I've also switched to honey for facial cleansing daily - makes things better but hasn't solved my acne issues.

Aingealag is offline Member
    Thank you for the replies Anna and Lizzie, I appreciate it. I'll hang in there and keep going, keeping in mind that hormonal acne might be too stubborn for even a clean diet to fix... Darnit, there goes the miracle cure It's not even the sight of the acne that I mind so much, it's more that my body is telling me that there is something wrong and I can't seem to fix it! My GP says it's not about the hormone levels in my body, it's the way my body responds to these hormones. But when I asked how to fix that, she had nothing more to offer than just medicate the issue with antibiotic creams :s

And Anna, wow I didn't know garlic was such an issue for sinuses, I love it and consume heaps! I'll try cutting it out and see how I go. How long did it take for you to start noticing results?

Any other tips concerning hormonal acne are welcome, I'll probably apply them all haha

Cheers from a very rainy Perth

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Rats. Three months of low dose BC pills solved it for me. When I turned 40 I developed huge cystic acne along the chin/hairline. NEVER had that even as a teen. Low dose estrogen did it for me. I stopped after 3 months because I always felt nauseous on them. I *did* continue to get the acne to a lesser degree before my period for nearly a year, but after that it has gone away. I'll add that I got close to menopause, too. I don't know how old you are but you look young.

Any chance you can visit an MD or naturopath who specializes in hormonal issues instead of seeing the GP?

Doing a Whole30 has made my skin look fantastic! I think it was eliminating all sugars. You might try it.

Very, very frustrating! I'm sorry. Do you also have occasional 'flight or fight' responses coming out of the blue? Another sign hormones are being reckless. I also dabbled in some homeopathy of sorts which might have helped.

This was all done several years ago: Pre Paleo. The final skin improvement was going Whole30 for 60 days.

Good luck!

Oh, you might be able to find some home testing on Canaryclub.org

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I'm going to say the same thing, you just have to wait it out a bit more and keep up the excellent efforts with the diet.

I've been focussing heavily on anti-inflammatory foods to try and reduce scoliosis pain, but I have only had relatively moderate results. I also have hormonal acne, worse pre-menstral.

Things that have helped are: 2+ cups of green tea per day, including ground linseed and kelp powder and lots of berries in my diet. Fish oil supplements. I've also switched to honey for facial cleansing daily - makes things better but hasn't solved my acne issues.
    Scoliosis pain? I wish I wasn't headed out the door at 2:25am for a vacation or else I'd be asking you tons of questions. I am in the same boat. I do like Turmeric capsules.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Anna Kurz Guest
    Oh Wendy, you are from Perth - gosh sorry, didn't notice but so glad I now know!! You heard of Cyndi O'Meara from Changing Habits Changing Lives by any chance?
    You should notice a clearing of sinuses within 24hours of eliminating all bulb foods
    And please know also that your skin will clear as you begin to fuel your body with the correct foods it requires to move from living in leptin resistance to living in leptin sensitivity. Leptin is our master hormone controller and whilst we continue to carry inflammation within our body, more bad fats will continue and the more rampant our leptin receptors, causing all sorts of grief.
    It might really help you to understand more if you pop over to tribalspice.com.au and checkout their three youtube videos on leptin.
    Hope this helps.

Sharon is offline Member
    hang in there! give your body the time it needs.
    i would try and support the liver as much as possible. eat foods that are good for the liver, stimulate and help it.
    often hormonal issues are worse because of the liver.
    things you could do is put some fresh lemon juice in your water whenever you're having some. plenty of ginger and turmeric in your food. eat lots of bitter veg like chicory, endive, chard, dandelion leaves ,... maybe some leafy green juice every now and then. tea of burdock could be helpful. or tea of dandelion or artichoke leaf. these things will help with your digestion too. just make sure you keep drinking lots of water for good elimination.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I hope this isn't one of those situations where hormones were working well for you and you quit hormone a because they are "bad." I take hormones because I am high risk female cancer and hormones of course lower the risk, so this thing about them being "bad" just makes me shake my head.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I hope this isn't one of those situations where hormones were working well for you and you quit hormone a because they are "bad." I take hormones because I am high risk female cancer and hormones of course lower the risk, so this thing about them being "bad" just makes me shake my head.
    I thought hormones were bad for women predisposed to cancer. Either way..I love my hormones. Hot flashes and mood swings sucked for me, my friends and family.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast