Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Journal Nick Ball page 3

NickBall is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Oh it has been a difficult couple of weeks since I wrote last. I had a dentist appointment that resulted in a filling. The dentist put the filling too close to the nerve which made it uncomfortable. To make matters worse the filling material broke off and got lodged between the tooth and the nerve...that was very painful. I went back to the dentist to see what the problem was. He suggested a root canal. At the time my upper mouth started to hurt just a little so I told the endodontist to have a look. When he did he noticed a huge abcess above my upper back three teeth on the left side. Hurray another root canal. So going to the dentist to have a regular check up has cost me 100.00 for the filling, 125.00 for the root canal, 125.00 for the upcoming root canal and 600.00 for the two crowns that I will need done. That's 950.00 dollars. Anyway the hassle, pain, and stress of all of this derailed my fitness plan a bit. And to add to that I strained my back helping a neighbor move. Now I'm feeling good and ready to work. Can't wait to get to the gym this afternoon for some squats, deadlift, and shoulder press. I'm at 195 lbs.
    Primal Since September 2010
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb
    Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

The penicillin use is no doubt the cause of a slight decrease in weight over the last couple of weeks. I've got a full batch of sauerkraut ready to go for when I'm done with the stuff to repopulate some good bacteria. I'm also going to get some prebiotics and some good yogurt to help out.
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb
    Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

Nice workout last night. Squat 5X5 @ 125lbs; Shoulder Press 5X5 @ 75lbs; and Deadlift 5X5 @ 175lbs. It took me about 40 minutes from warm up to cool down. I've been shocked at how weak my shoulders are. I really struggled to get this done. On the final rep I had to add a slight "hip-bounce" to get it up over my head. I'm excited to get back in the gym tomorrow to lift more weight. I noticed some stretch marks developing right where my quads meet up with my hip. I can't pinch an inch anywhere on my chicken legs so this is a good sign of some relatively serious muscle growth. I like this. I have my %body fat update to make at the end of this week. Hopefully I've lost some fat as part of the overall weight loss. My clothes seem to be fitting better but who knows?!? Weight 195lbs. Modd is good, less jovial than yesterday but overall pretty good. Hopefully I can squeeze in a long walk tonight. I need to fix my bike tire (flat on Tuesday) so I can ride tomorrow.
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb

I can't wait for John Durrant's new book, the Paleo Manifesto. I'm not sure if it is in stores now but I will give Barnes and Noble a call today. I should be able to finish Ishi in Two Worlds tonight. This is a painful book. The information and story is very valuable but it has been very hard to read. Excited for my lifting session in the Gym today too. I think I will add some abs work to what I do.
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb

Started the 21 day challenge...Oh the low carb flu. After four days of eating junk while fishing and relaxing in Yellowstone i'm really missing those carbs. The 21 day challenge will be a great reset to eating habits and set me firmly back on the primal path. I played a fun game of BBall last night even though I didn't feel 100% I used it as my sprinting session for the week. I'll get another chance next Monday. Hopefully our team will win our next game. Tomorrow will be my lift day along with Friday. I am looking forward to lifting it has been about a week since I've done any lifting. I am very tired despite 9 hours of sleep last night. I'm not as sore as I thought I would be which is a good sign. Allright enough from me for now!
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb

It has been a long time since I posted last. I've been going back to crossfit. I missed the group atmosphere that you have at Crossfit. It isn't the same working out alone in the gym surrounded by people. I've lost a couple of pounds in the two weeks I've been going but I really think my body composition is improving. After two tough weeks (2-3 times per week) plus a basketball game on Monday nights I've decided to do a carb refeed. I've been dragging the last couple of days. We shall see how this pays off. Finished The Paleo Manifesto since I last wrote. I loved that book. It is the best paleo book I've read. I believe the Primal Blueprint was more life changing (because it is set up to be that way...action items, etc.) I liked the TPM better. The writing was more beautiful and clever than other paleo books I've read.
    Current weight 194lbs
    Body fat % two points lower on the scale that doesn't measure correctly...adjusted I'm at about 16%...the abs are coming in baby!!!
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    At 6'2" it seems like you're nearing your goal weight. So exciting! And 16% is fantastic. I think most guys look good between 10-15%. Some guys always think the leaner the better, but I think you look a bit healthier with a bit more lol.

Congratulations. Now that you're going very low carb, you're probably going to see the weight fly off. If you haven't read carb nite or carb backloading, I think you're a prime candidate for those methods.

PM me if you want more info on those things. Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123