Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still feeling weak and fatigued after 3 weeks

Still feeling weak and fatigued after 3 weeks

Shop Now
    Hi! My husband and I started eating Paleo/Primal 3 weeks ago. The first 9 - 10 were pretty rough - headaches, fatigue and aches/pains. I started feeling pretty good after that. My husband on the other hand has consistently been feeling weak and very fatigued.

I thought that maybe he wasn't getting enough carbs, so he's added a little fruit, but it's not helping. My other thought is that possible he needs more food, but he always eats to almost fullness and doesn't leave a meal hungry.

Could this just be him taking a long time to adapt? He's getting really frustrated with this since he's not feeling 'better' yet. Thanks!

This is a snap shot of what he eats typically:

Breakfast:
    2 - 3 eggs cooked in EVOO or Bacon Fat
    Breakfast Sausage, or smoked sausage or leftover meat from dinner
    Fruit (peach, grapes or banana)

Lunch:
    Chicken Thighs w/ skin
    Steak
    Left overs from dinner
    ((sometimes w/ salad but not always - too much veggies give him stomach issues now))

Dinner:
    stir fry w/ chicken (broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms)
    or
    roasted chicken w/ gravy (joices from chicken blended with veggies)
    or
    Nom Nom Palo lettuce wraps
    - See more at: Robb Wolf | Performance, Health & Longevity Forum • View topic - Feeling Weak and Fatigued after 3 weeks
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Hunger is easily manipulated... we have great big brains to manipulate it to do what we want. :-)

If he upped his starches (sweet potatoes and potatoes) and fruits, he would likely be more hungry. Especially at breakfast as that will set him up to be hungrier throughout the day. Less fat, more carbs.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

It's almost certainly a result of not enough calories. On low carb diets it's very easy to accidentally starve yourself---I did it myself when I first went low carb. Felt tired and just generally pretty awful.

To fix it, you can either increase carbs (and not from green vegetables: I am talking about more fruit, tubers, squashes, rice, even molasses/honey/maple syrup) or stay lower carb but start counting calories to make sure you aren't starving yourself. Once I started eating higher carb I found I pretty naturally started eating the right amounts and didn't need to count calories. Your experience may be different. I would recommend higher carb personally, but do what FEELS right to you---not what someone tells you to do or what theoretically seems best.

In any case, you don't necessarily need to eat low carb to be healthy----even if you're sedentary. This is a point Mark Sisson does not really emphasize enough and it has lead to countless people ending up in this situation.

Thanks. That's a good idea - adding more carbs to breakfast to increase hunger. I have been kind of wondering if we're eating too little but really, really don't want to count calories.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Quote Originally Posted by mommyrunmommy View Post
    Thanks. That's a good idea - adding more carbs to breakfast to increase hunger. I have been kind of wondering if we're eating too little but really, really don't want to count calories.
    Yeah I hate counting calories, and for most people it's just not something they should need to burden themselves with. There's already plenty of things to stress out about in life without that.

Give higher carbs from healthy sources a try and adjust as needed.

Definitely refeed.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

You might want to think twice about eating a lot of carbs for breakfast.

I've had a lot of success by back loading carbs. I completely avoid carbs until the evening and start every morning with bulletproof coffee to prime my body's fat burning metabolism with coconut or MCT oil. At dinner I usually throw in some sweet potatoes or such. I also do a smoothie about every other evening that has bananas and berries.

You have a nice steady energy level when you burn fat throughout the day. For me eating carbs in the evening improves my sleep and workout recovery.

Anna Kurz Guest
    Have you both been losing weight steadily? or are you doing okay and he isn't?

Add more starch in the form of sweet potatoes, white potatoes or white rice.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Kurz View Post
    Have you both been losing weight steadily? or are you doing okay and he isn't?

I lost about 10lbs the first 2 weeks and like 0.5 - 1lb the 3rd week. My energy level has been good - except for the day after drinking some tequila. His energy has consistently been low. He's not tracking weight loss - he's mostly concerned with energy and health. He does have weight to lose, but he understands that it'll happen whether he tracks it or not.

I had him eat some more carbs with dinner last night after his strength workout and he felt better this morning. I made him some sweet potatoes for his lunch today and some rice to add to his breakfast. Hopefully that helps.

I should've added before also that he's has an extremely active job - on his feet for more than 9 hours, walking up and down stairs most of the day.