Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question regarding the Dead lift page

Vick is offline Senior Member

Dumb Question regarding the Dead lift

We all know it is a great exercise. I do the dead lift to get stronger, not to compete in a deadlift competition.

What catches my attention is, I have never seen anyone suggest you do it with both palms facing forward.

However in most real life situations like pushing a car stuck in the snow or lifting part of a large object such as a frig or freezer to get a grip, our palms are facing out.

I'm thinking I should be doing the exercise that way, but I'm interested in other people's thoughts.

I am thinking about muscle memory vs. potential injury

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    IMO the risk of a ruptured biceps is to great to consider this technique.

In fact this is why I don't use the alternate grip. I do double overhand pulls. Better for grip strength anyhow.

I think what you would be better off doing for muscle memory in this situation would be tire flips.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, like Neckhammer said, you're asking for a torn biceps if you go double underhand. Weigh the risk vs. reward.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    IMO the risk of a ruptured biceps is to great to consider this technique.

In fact this is why I don't use the alternate grip. I do double overhand pulls. Better for grip strength anyhow.

I think what you would be better off doing for muscle memory in this situation would be tire flips.
    Exactly. Double overhand is the way to go. And if you do have to go alternate for your last rep or two, use a hook grip.

As for tire flips, your arms are just a contact point. They shouldn't bear the weight of the tire while bent. The most common injury for tire flips is a torn biceps

Vick is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing double overhand. Thanks for the answers.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I am trying to get comfortable enough with the hook to use it for all my heavy deadlifts. My last set went hook grip, hook grip, alternating (right hand supinated), alternating (left hand supinated), hook grip. Maybe I can go for all 5 with a hook next time, for the reasons elucidated above. I've seen Koklyaev pull 915 hook grip on the YewToobz. Also, if you're not using chalk, start.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think you bring up a really interesting point here, Vick. It would in fact seem to be more "functional" to deadlift with an underhand grip.

As for the risk of injury, you may just need to lower the weight in order to allow your biceps tendons to adapt to this new technique. Though the potential to lift the heaviest weight possible is probably greater for most folks with an overhand grip, training underhand deads could be a nice way to build bicep tendon strength and develop more carryover for everyday object lifting.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    I think you bring up a really interesting point here, Vick. It would in fact seem to be more "functional" to deadlift with an underhand grip.

As for the risk of injury, you may just need to lower the weight in order to allow your biceps tendons to adapt to this new technique. Though the potential to lift the heaviest weight possible is probably greater for most folks with an overhand grip, training underhand deads could be a nice way to build bicep tendon strength and develop more carryover for everyday object lifting.
    You're all wrong. There's only 2 muscle groups that matter. Biceps and calves, Brah!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're all wrong. There's only 2 muscle groups that matter. Biceps and calves, Brah!
    What about abz?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    What about abz?
    We will worry about those when our biceps break the 20" mark.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast