Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question regarding the Dead lift page 3

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, both. But I agree about not letting one limit the other. But why resort to straps when you can batter your thumbs into oblivion?
    Well... if you batter your thumbs in to oblivion, you won't be able to hitchhike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Good info; I'll work on the hook grip some more. I own lifting straps, but never use them. I dunno, I think I'm a purist or something.
    I hear that. You could always get some CoC grippers, and maybe work on plate pinches and other grip stuff. That always helps
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Well... if you batter your thumbs in to oblivion, you won't be able to hitchhike
    Hitchhiking is illegal, Sir. And as you know, I'm a law-abiding citizen.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Good points on the hook grip. As a side note a football player from Montreal tore his bicep this weekend and is out for the season. Figure at least 3-4 months recuperation if we do this to ourselves. Comes back to the risk vs. reward comments.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Hitchhiking is illegal, Sir. And as you know, I'm a law-abiding citizen.
    What about your koala smuggling operation?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Are the koalas grass-fed? I want to buy some to deep fry.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    What about your koala smuggling operation?
    My lawyer has advised me not to comment. But it's alleged koala smuggling operation, tyvm.

sandstone is offline Member
    how about trap bar DL's? Aren't they meant to be among the safest variety.

Quote Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
    how about trap bar DL's? Aren't they meant to be among the safest variety.
    They take a lot of musculature out of the movement and incorporate other musculature that's better addressed with other exercises (namely, the squat). The safest thing is never to get off the couch, because it's extremely difficult to pull a muscle pushing buttons on a remote control.

sandstone is offline Member
    They take a lot of musculature out of the movement and incorporate other musculature that's better addressed with other exercises (namely, the squat). The safest thing is never to get off the couch, because it's extremely difficult to pull a muscle pushing buttons on a remote control.
    Thanks for the patronising reply.

Let me re-phrase, isn't the trap bar DL less technical and don't many people who have issues from old injuries or who lack the technical knowledge to correctly perform either a squat or DL using a straight bar benefit from using a trap bar. Applying Paretto's law as a guide that 80% of the benefit comes from 20% of the effort don't you think that if people have problems with an aligned grip either then a parallel might be worth considering?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the patronising reply.
    Calm down there, Snowflake. No need to get your panties in a wad. (Now that's patronizing!)

Let me re-phrase, isn't the trap bar DL less technical and don't many people who have issues from old injuries or who lack the technical knowledge to correctly perform either a squat or DL using a straight bar benefit from using a trap bar.
    If someone lacks the technical knowledge to perform a squat or deadlift, the remedy is to obtain the technical knowledge and proceed to squat and deadlift. If someone has a back problem that precludes squats completely (although many people who believe they do actually don't), either deficit trap bar deadlifts or hip belt squats might be the best they can do. Lack of easily attainable knowledge isn't a valid excuse not to take the most effective course of action. A legitimate disability is.

Applying Paretto's law as a guide that 80% of the benefit comes from 20% of the effort don't you think that if people have problems with an aligned grip either then a parallel might be worth considering?
    Pareto. And that's an example of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The real deadlift is important for reasons I've already elucidated. Sure, trap bar squeadlifts are better than nothing. So are Nautilus and Hammer Strength machines, for that matter.

That doesn't justify abandoning the movements that have produced all the strong people in the history of ever just because they're hard. The fact that they're hard is largely what makes them work so well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast