Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question regarding the Dead lift page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The risk of a ruptured biceps tendon is real enough when using supinated grip, especially when using very heavy weights and on a calorie deficit diet. Persons using drugs such as anabolic steroids are also in danger with respect to risk of tendon rupture... Personally I always use an alternate grip that I change.

Al_Kavadlo has a valid point though about also using supinated grip to strengthen the biceps tendon...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 07-16-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    We will worry about those when our biceps break the 20" mark.
    Dammit! After I blasted my pecs I was going to shred my abz. Looks like I need a new workout plan
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Dammit! After I blasted my pecs I was going to shred my abz. Looks like I need a new workout plan
    Bangin' arms every day is the workout plan.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I struggle with overhand grip above about 300 pounds or so and usually switch to alternate grip, and then alternate that grip every rep. I never put any real thought into the possibility that I could get injured doing so. Might reevaluate this week.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well you could probably make a case that the alternate grip is the most dangerous for the bicep tendon just based one both mechanical disadvantage of the tendon and then tack on assymetrical load. Take a look at Arnold here: Prevent Biceps Tendon Tears From Deadlifts By Using The Hook Grip

That pic looks like a recipe for disaster.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I was a bit of a grip freak for a while, so I never used straps while deadlifting. But I suppose one could always use a double overhand and use straps for the heaviest reps. I mean, theoretically your posterior chain should be stronger than your grip, so at some point in time the grip will fail. At the end of the day, are you deadlifting for posterior chain strength or for grip strength?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I was a bit of a grip freak for a while, so I never used straps while deadlifting. But I suppose one could always use a double overhand and use straps for the heaviest reps. I mean, theoretically your posterior chain should be stronger than your grip, so at some point in time the grip will fail. At the end of the day, are you deadlifting for posterior chain strength or for grip strength?
    Well, both. But I agree about not letting one limit the other. But why resort to straps when you can batter your thumbs into oblivion?

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Good info; I'll work on the hook grip some more. I own lifting straps, but never use them. I dunno, I think I'm a purist or something.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget that biceps tendons can rupture also with pronated overhand grips as well, especially when using straps! Tendons in general are getting more fragile when people stay on a diet for long time or are using drugs. I don't find the alternate grip especially dangerous myself, but the grip should be done on both sides to avoid imbalances that can happen after long time of one-sided lifting...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Good info; I'll work on the hook grip some more. I own lifting straps, but never use them. I dunno, I think I'm a purist or something.
    Squeeze every damn muscle in your hand as tight as you can. So all the weight isn't sandwiching your thumb between the bar and the middle finger, only what you can't hold with the other fingers. It's still unpleasant, but not as overwhelmingly so (from my wussy 405-lb deadlifting experience, anyway).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast