Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Runners: Are you fat? page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Runners: Are you fat?

Primal Fuel
    I understand that chronic cardio can lead to fat gain, esp in women. And yes, I often see overweight people jogging for 45 min on the treadmill, day in and day out.

BUT: I also know personally a lot of runners- people that run 5 or so days a week, include some interval workouts, maybe a longer run on the weekend..... and they look fit! I can't help but wonder if those who tout that running is useless for fitness and weight control are maybe being a bit too narrow minded. Are the joggers who don't see results still fat b/c they eat the wrong foods in excess quantities and don't include enough strength training?

So, runners, I know you are out there..... and I'm looking for some n=1's. Are you fat?

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    perhaps some of the 'fit' runners could do it by running less if they ate right.

You can probably eat all manner of things if you're going to train the hell out of your body

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a runner, and ran a marathon at an obese weight while dieting.

I saw no results ever with weight control thru running even when coupled diet. I did have great cardiovascular fitness. I feel like there are all sorts of body types running and your ability to change your body with running depends on your genetics. I did a Galloway Group and there were plenty of fit types and just as many people who looked the same Week 1 as Week 13.

I stopped running and now do Cross Fit and weight training. Cross Fit has done AMAZING things for my body in not much time. I've seen massive changes in 12 weeks. Down a dress size with no weight loss. My waist is visibly smaller, legs leaning out, broader shoulders, harder ass.

My advice- if you take up running for weight loss or body improvement and don't see the changes you want in say, a year... move onto something new as adding mileage and intervals probably won't make it better.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I never did just running, so I can't isolate the precise effect it has on me. My level of body fat depends primarily on the restricted food intake, not the activity. My appetite increases with activity, and I eat most of what I burn unless I don't eat through will-power and then I burn out in a couple of weeks.

For fitness, I feel that I benefit from muscle building more than from cardio, but cardio is still essential (for cardio-vasicular). Optimal seems to be 2-3 x a week in 20-30 min relatively intense sessions. I prefer swimming and boxing to running due to foot and knee problems. Knee injury was old one, but bunion pain was induced by my running. I believe that stepping is actually better than running for me as well.

Running is fun, but on the balance, for me it is detrimental to health and well-being.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-15-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    perhaps some of the 'fit' runners could do it by running less if they ate right.

You can probably eat all manner of things if you're going to train the hell out of your body
    Training the hell out of your body can be fun, especially when eating enough! I am not a fan of steady state cardio though...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I went through several periods when I jogged a lot. Running had no effect on my body's leanness.

I think a person who strictly controls their diet can lose fat when they run. But burning up calories like that makes you hungrier. And besides, if you've read running makes you thin, you probably think you shouldn't need to be on a diet, so you may be eating "healthy carbs" to the extent of your appetite.

I think a lot of the thin runners we see were always thin, or never had much weight to lose.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I lost a lot of weight running at one point. 17 pounds (went from 142 to 125, and I'm 5'4", just to give you an idea). I kept it off for years too, running. I ate a SAD diet at the time and didn't restrict calories at all. Then I went primal and gained a bunch of weight. It could be because of the primal food or because I stopped running as much after going primal. (Actually, I don't really think it has to do with either primal or running volume. Pretty sure it's something else. I just don't know what.) I'm now 137 and haven't really been able to lose the extra weight. Even when I upped my running volume while training for a race a few months ago, I didn't lose weight. (Upping my running volume ALWAYS worked in the past.) I run significantly less now than I used to and crossfit a lot more instead. No difference. I gained muscle but didn't lose much fat. Anyway, it's all stupid.

But, no, I don't think running makes you fat.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    My experience is the same as Magnolia. I ran/long-walked (12+ miles per day 6 days/week) through most of my most recent re-gain.

My experience in weight loss forums is that some people swear by high exercise and some people don't use it at all. Same on the National Weight Loss Registry (people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off 1+ years)- about 50% of their people exercise a lot- if I remember correctly more than an hour per day. Since there is a gene that is about 50/50 in the population relating exercise to weight, that seems reasonable.

For me I think being able to run/long-walk is more motivational than effective. In fact, it just makes my eating more complicated because it makes managing my hypoglycemia more difficult (this really drove one section of my most recent re-gain).
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    My experience in weight loss forums is that some people swear by high exercise and some people don't use it at all.
    My recent experience in weight loss forums is that it is taken as gospel that you have to exercise a lot to lose weight, and the more exercise you get, the more weight you lose.

Same on the National Weight Loss Registry (people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off 1+ years)- about 50% of their people exercise a lot- if I remember correctly more than an hour per day. Since there is a gene that is about 50/50 in the population relating exercise to weight, that seems reasonable.
    I had not seen this. It seems to me that a lot more guys are able to lose weight just by exercise than women can.

For me I think being able to run/long-walk is more motivational than effective. In fact, it just makes my eating more complicated because it makes managing my hypoglycemia more difficult (this really drove one section of my most recent re-gain).
    I think one of the major advantages of long walks is that it keeps people away from the refrigerator when they are bored. So it can be an effective tool for weight loss in that sense.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Since there is a gene that is about 50/50 in the population relating exercise to weight, that seems reasonable.
    It's interesting that there's a gene like that. I never knew. That's cool. I'm sure I have that gene, but it's expression is being downregulated.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast