Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medtation to lower insulin levels (!) page

Davidil is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Medtation to lower insulin levels (!)

Shop Now
    I just read an article in Hebrew but then searched in Google for it and found a few articles - it appears that meditation lowers your insulin levels (I guess by making you more relaxed). There are tons of research about the benefits of meditation, I guess this is just one more.

So basically, if you want to lose more weight - meditate.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Word.

I agree.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    makes sense but d you have references?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Lower insulin does not always equal weight loss.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

dnj1965 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    makes sense but d you have references?
    Not the OP, but a few for fun:
    TM in particular:
    Paul-Labrador, M., Polk, D., Dwyer, J., Velasquez, I., Nidich, S., Rainforth, M., & ... Merz, C. (2006). Effects of a randomized controlled trial of transcendental meditation on components of the metabolic syndrome in subjects with coronary heart disease. Archives Of Internal Medicine, 166(11), 1218-1224.

Relaxation in general:
    Bhasin, M., Dusek, J., Chang, B., Joseph, M., Denninger, J., Fricchione, G., & ... Libermann, T. (2013). Relaxation response induces temporal transcriptome changes in energy metabolism, insulin secretion and inflammatory pathways. Plos One, 8(5), e62817. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0062817
    SW = 280, PSW = 224, CW = 204, UGW = 194
    6'2" Male, Late 40's

Cool studies. I've always enjoyed meditating sort of intuitively, I just can't stay consistent with it.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Lower insulin does not always equal weight loss.
    I don't get what lowering insulin levels have to do with anything at all. Are we trying to increase insulin resistance? Insulin sensitivity is all about spiking it and increasing the rate at which it returns to baseline. If we never spike it, we become insulin resistant.

I'm sure there are many benefits to meditation. Anything that reduces stress is surely beneficial to the body. But if fat loss is the goal, why not take that time sitting on your butt and just go for a walk? Not only is it going to burn far more fat than sitting on your butt meditating, but I'm sure fresh air and light exercise through nature will do a great job clearing your mind and reduce stress, too.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't get what lowering insulin levels have to do with anything at all. Are we trying to increase insulin resistance? Insulin sensitivity is all about spiking it and increasing the rate at which it returns to baseline. If we never spike it, we become insulin resistant.

I'm sure there are many benefits to meditation. Anything that reduces stress is surely beneficial to the body. But if fat loss is the goal, why not take that time sitting on your butt and just go for a walk? Not only is it going to burn far more fat than sitting on your butt meditating, but I'm sure fresh air and light exercise through nature will do a great job clearing your mind and reduce stress, too.
    Agreed. I think people get confused: lower insulin doesn't = weight loss, but the opposite is true (weight loss = lower insulin levels).

EggGirl is offline Member
    I believe it. I know meditation helps me be more connected with my physical body which in turn makes me more connected to my true hunger. I end up eating less and healthier food when I meditate regularly.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Agreed. I think people get confused: lower insulin doesn't = weight loss, but the opposite is true (weight loss = lower insulin levels).
    My fasting BG when I ate <80g of carbs every day for a 6 month period was 85. Now that I eat more carbs than fat it's about 75. I tested it yesterday after a 23 hour fast. 76. Not bad. Just saying. High carb = insulin sensitivity. I'm also very careful to make my fats high SFA. I really only eat fat from steak, dairy and coconut these days. And I'm always hot. After I cold shower and my A/C blasting at 65 (ah the benefits of electricity included in rent!) I was sweating my balls off. Hurrah, thyroid...
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast