Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D page

DFord is offline Member

Vitamin D

Primal Fuel
    So I went to the Dr for the yearly physical this was the first year on primal. Overall the report is good. One thing I was short on is vitamin D. Which confuses me. The Dr said the Vitamin D # should be between 30-100 and mine was at 21.

I was reading Mark's blog:
    Vitamin D: Sun Exposure, Supplementation and Doses | Mark's Daily Apple

and

Deconstructing Vitamin D | Mark's Daily Apple

I see he mentions about 20-30 minutes of natural sunlight per day for light skinned people. Part of this weight loss journey I have been walking outside 3 times a day for roughly 20-40 minutes each time(total of 60-120 minutes per day). Two weekends a month I go hiking for roughly 5 or 6 hours at a time. I do work an indoor office job so there are large points where I am inside.

So I am a little perplexed why my Vit D is pretty low. Granted we have stretches of limited sun in the winter months here and it can be cloudy. So maybe it takes time for the body to "catch up" I dunno. Any thoughts.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

DFord is offline Member
    Forgot to say I started taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D supplement about a week ago.

DFord is offline Member
    Thanks for the link will check it out. Yeah I am fair skinned, generally I wear shorts and a t shirt when I am out an about on my walking no sun screen or hats. On the hiking trips I usually wear a brimmed had as I burn pretty quick when I am out in the sun for 5 or 6 hours at a time.

Hopefully it will be fine now that I started the supplement and continue getting outdoors time.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    2,000 is pretty low if your are at 21 ng/ml.

If you want to get your level up faster, try 8,000 IUs and have your doc retest in 3 months.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    when i was tested i was at about your level. it took 6 months of 10,000 ius daily to get up to "normal". i live in new england.

mark's recs are maintenance dosage for people already at a healthy level.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

quikky is online now Senior Member
    I was at 32. I took 10,000IUs for 3 months, got retested, and my level was 76. I am currently taking 5,000-8,000IUs per day for maintenance, and will retest periodically to see if I need an adjustment.

Just another data point for you.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    When I was found to be low on D I was walking outside 3+ hours a day... I thought the last person in the world who would be low would be me. And remember, good skin exposure at noon is WAY different, like 6x's different depending on latitude, from the same exposure at 5PM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

DFord is offline Member
    Thanks everyone going to continue taking the supplement and getting outside as much as possible to get it back into the good range.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    when i was tested i was at about your level. it took 6 months of 10,000 ius daily to get up to "normal". i live in new england.

mark's recs are maintenance dosage for people already at a healthy level.
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I was at 32. I took 10,000IUs for 3 months, got retested, and my level was 76. I am currently taking 5,000-8,000IUs per day for maintenance, and will retest periodically to see if I need an adjustment.

Just another data point for you.
    What brand did you take? Pills or liquid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast