Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D page 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    What brand did you take? Pills or liquid?
    Pills - Nutrigold 5,000IU in olive oil. I was skeptical of the brand, since they are for sale at Amazon only, but it clearly worked.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Pills - Nutrigold 5,000IU in olive oil. I was skeptical of the brand, since they are for sale at Amazon only, but it clearly worked.
    same here. now that it's summer i don't take them everyday, but i do if not outside much. (like these last days that have been a millionity humid degrees.)
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I used to be down in the 30's. My doc wants me above 70. I take 5000IU D3 a day plus try to get a little sun (at least in summer).
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

exotec is offline Junior Member
    Our endocrinologist put us on Vit-D supplementation about 2 years ago. We started at 5000 IU/day. That was sufficient for my husband... but mine was still low. So we increased it. Then doubled it to twice a day. Still low. I sit out in the sun to read an hour or so every day (I'm in FL!!). Finally, I ended up taking 20000 IU per day, and now, at last, my Vit-D level is within the reference range for our lab (46ng/ml; RR >30). Outrageous.
    The problem with people these days is they've forgotten we're really just animals.

We did not create the web of life; we are but a strand in it.
    ~ Chief Seattle

We do not have souls. We ARE souls. We have bodies.
    ~ C. S. Lewis

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Same issue here. No matter how much sun exposure I get, I am deficient. With diligent supplementation (with an oil based D3 which is the only one that works for me) I got up to 65. I have been a bit lazy with the supplements lately, but good about the sun, and I am back down to 18.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JBHBird is offline Junior Member
    Yes, if you have a low vitamin D level just getting sun on your skin the recommended amount wont be enough probably to make up for being so low so long. The general advice is to take a decent amount of a D3 supp, and retest your vitamin D levels every 3 months to see where you are at with it. Too low is no good and nor is too high.

My first test was around 10 ng/ml (very low!) and now my latest tests shows I made it to around 60 ng/ml. Nice I'm now taking 10 000 IU a day, with some of that from fermneted cod liver oil. This is one of the very best D3 sources as it is minimally processed. It's also important that vitamin A and D be in balance. You need to take some A with your D. (Beta carotene is not vitamin A.)

FWIW, not a good idea to take high amounts of calcium if you have gotten your vitamin D to a healthy range did you know? Vitamin D affects how all minerals are used by the body. According to The vitamin D cure book when vitamin D levels are very low (under 20 ng/ml), a dosage of 1000 to 1200 mg of calcium daily is appropriate as the body will only be able to absorb a very small amount of this calcium (25%). While vitamin D levels are slowly being raised, a dosage of 500 - 600 mg is appropriate. (At a vitamin D level of 35 ng/ml, calcium absorption increases to 30 - 40%.) When vitamin D levels are optimal, calcium supplements may not be necessary at all but this depends to some extent on your diet.

Musings

Toddler is offline Junior Member
    I've been taking it in drop form. Each drop is 2000 IU and I take two drops a day. I highly recommend drops over pills because they are absorbed more easily and the pills used to cause stomach cramps and I feel like I wasn't using all of the vitamin d. Here's a good article about it: What is the Best Vitamin D Supplement? | Eat | Live | Exercise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12