View Poll Results: How much Grass fed vs CAFO do you eat?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • All CAFO - it's what I can afford.

14 20.29%
  • All CAFO - grassfed is a scam.

1 1.45%
  • No CAFO - I'd rather do without than eat CAFO.

3 4.35%
  • 80+% Grassfed/Wild

29 42.03%
  • 60+% Grassfed/Wild

16 23.19%
  • 40+% Grassfed/Wild

3 4.35%
  • 20+% Grassfed/Wild

3 4.35%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grassfed vs CAFO poll page 3

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    From this guest post in the blog: What You Should Know About Beef Production Claims | Mark's Daily Apple (about a third way down the page)

Just an FYI. I thought there was a difference also.
    According to Whole Paycheck there is a difference. Grass fed beef is often fed grain at the end either because of weather or because of the desire to put weight/fat on the animal. Grass finished is 100% grass fed and never given grain. Have you not noticed a difference in price?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    According to Whole Paycheck there is a difference. Grass fed beef is often fed grain at the end either because of weather or because of the desire to put weight/fat on the animal. Grass finished is 100% grass fed and never given grain. Have you not noticed a difference in price?

Well, I guess someone is wrong - either the guest poster, or Whole Foods. I'll go see if I can find the definition on the USDA website.
    ------------------------------------

Thank you for the barf bag, Doc.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Well, I guess someone is wrong - either the guest poster, or Whole Foods. I'll go see if I can find the definition on the USDA website.
    ------------------------------------

Thank you for the barf bag, Doc.
    Guest poster? Yes..we all respect USDA. Not

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: Agricultural Marketing Service - Grass Fed Marketing Claim Standards

Grass Fed Marketing Claim Standards
    Claim and Standard:

Grass (Forage) Fed – Grass and forage shall be the feed source consumed for the lifetime of the ruminant animal, with the exception of milk consumed prior to weaning. The diet shall be derived solely from forage consisting of grass (annual and perennial), forbs (e.g., legumes, Brassica), browse, or cereal grain crops in the vegetative (pre-grain) state. Animals cannot be fed grain or grain byproducts and must have continuous access to pasture during the growing season. Hay, haylage, baleage, silage, crop residue without grain, and other roughage sources may also be included as acceptable feed sources. Routine mineral and vitamin supplementation may also be included in the feeding regimen. If incidental supplementation occurs due to inadvertent exposure to non-forage feedstuffs or to ensure the animal’s well being at all times during adverse environmental or physical conditions, the producer must fully document (e.g., receipts, ingredients, and tear tags) the supplementation that occurs including the amount, the frequency, and the supplements provided.

Grass (Forage) Fed Marketing Claim Standard (October 16, 2007, Federal Register Notice (72 FR 58631)) - PDF
    Which looks to me like Wholefoods may be playing fast and loose with marketing terms. Or maybe one Wholefoods is. Each store is only as good as its weakest link. There was that small fuffle when WF was training its employees by telling them there were no GMOs in anything they carry.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 07-16-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Chicken - Gerber brand, a local Amish country company
    Fish - whole frozen (not skinned or definned or anything) from an Asian grocery in the city, because I can't otherwise find fish with the skins/bones anywhere in three counties down here unless I go fishing and actually manage to catch anything (hah! Exercise in futility, that)
    Pork - probably CAFO, as it isn't marked as anything else, but from a small-town grocery known for getting in nice meats. I have to admit, they do. No wetness, no plastic bags or trays - butcher paper.
    Beef - CAFO

Working on awareness with the family on food issues, like why in the hell would I want beef imported from a foreign country when the locals raise their own, albeit grain-fed?! So my first issue is "local". Then I will worry about grass-fed, although I do splurge and buy a pound or two here and there from a huge health food store way up by Cleveland (not Whole Foods, it is a family-owned local thing) when I am up that way, just to keep that taste alive.

I have the land and location for animals, but I guess I am a lazy snot - after a long day with my special-needs kid, commuting to therapy, and the three others, I just don't want to hafta go wrangle goats and pigs when all I want is a quiet night. The thought of building all that fencing on our only-hilly, all-wooded acres in itself just sounds exhausting. My SIL got two pigs a couple of years back, and all they did was escape and shit in their water. She really worked for that pork that year!

Excuses, excuses.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I rarely eat out anymore, and when I do, it's usually seafood or vegetarian. No restaurant makes a tastier burger than I do.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i buy local half cow and only eat that unless i am on vacation...

I went to Rioz in Myrtle beach for the all you could eat Beef Buffet... about 50$ a plate but well worth it...
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Being in the wasteland that is Las Vegas, here is what I do:

Beef- We get grass-fed brought down from a farm in Utah about once every quarter or so, cost is ~$5/lb. Also, my local Sprouts has a small section of grass-fed beef that I will buy when the price is good. Occasionally get CAFO, but making a serious effort to cut that out entirely. I'm fortunate that our household is just me and my SO, so the costs are kept reasonable.

Pork- Just found a different farm in Utah that will be bringing a delivery of pastured pork down next week, yay! A friend and I are splitting the cost of a half-pig. Should be about $5/lb. Excited to see how the flavor is.

Chicken- This is the toughest. Pastured chicken is so expensive. Sprouts has organic chicken that I try to get when it is on sale, other than that we mostly use boneless/skinless breasts.

Fish- I will get wild salmon when it is on sale, we don't eat much other fish. Shrimp I look for bagged and frozen, that is usually the best deal.

We do eat out more than we should, but c'est la vie.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    My around the corner grocery store now offers 100% grass-fed ground lean beef from some ranch in Colorado as well as ground buffalo, both very affordable especially considering I don't eat much meat these days.
    For grilling steak or when dining out I usually get lean cut of beef. Fish - wild caught.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Shrimp, I don't care. Farmed is the same as wild.
    Really?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast