Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts/Self-Defense DIY Sources/Advice? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Martial Arts/Self-Defense DIY Sources/Advice?

I am taking a hap ki do class once a week, and love it. I can try to repeat what was done in the class on my own during the rest of the week. Sort of. Or just box & kick against the boxing bag (love it). But the self defense portion, it absolutely scrambles my brain.

I was wondering if someone can recommend a book or a website source that will have simple stuff I can do on my own to keep from forgetting from one week to next WTF we did.

Or should I sign up for additional Aikido lessons? Will Aikido make it more, uhm, comprehensive where to turn what and be complimentary or will it only mess up my brain even further?

Or is it better to stick to the same teacher/style and try for 2 classes of Hkd a week?

And, for a final idiotic question - one of my wrists is very weak (capral t), and all those grabs and twists really hurt. Should I even bother with worrying about trying to get SD, and just suffer these 15 min session?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    If you're serious about learning self-defense, you should find a gym/instructor whose style fits your needs. I'm not familiar with hapkido, but I took martial arts classes for a while. It wasn't one of the traditional schools--my instructor made up his own by mixing different schools. Most of the focus was on self-defense; less focus on the sporting aspect. I loved it. But you're right. You're liable to forget things, and that's why repetition and long-term training is important. I don't think going once a week is enough. I think I made the most progress when I went three times a week. When things got busy at school and I only managed twice a week, my progress slowed.

Thank you, that helps. I feel that the instructor is good. But I might look into another MA school in my neighborhood to see if they offer better # of classes a week and at a better time. The aikido (that will add 2x a week to my 1x a week hkd) is available through my rec centre is at 7-8:30 pm on weekdays, and I usually get up at 4 am. While I can give it a shot in the summer, I won't be able to keep it up come fall

How is MA usually organized? I wish it was more like yoga studio with kindda drop in when you want if you paid join in fee.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    See if you can find any Western Martial Arts groups in your area that study ringen or dagger. That was my hand-to-hand gateway to self defense.

Remember the elbow as a good target, should anyone ever accost you. Note the way it wants to bend and help theirs bend the other way.

Running is a good tactic. I can't do that, so I try my best to harden up.

Shoot me a PM, I have some literature I can share with you for idle reading.

M.

Sounds good, thank you! I don't really expect to get into any street fights, but I like the idea of improving my balance and coordination & sparring against another human being, it is really something different. It would be great to be able to practice on my own so I am a bit more receptive in the class!

In my neighborhood we have hap ki do, aikido (rec centre) and taekwando (separate studio, 99$ month intro for up to 3x a week).

I think I will try the Aikido for the month of August to see if I like that or hap ki do more. Three classes a week sounds a bit intimidating, but I think I can manage for 4 weeks.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Aikido is quite nice. And yeah, in spite of being a "fight student guy", I never want to get into any kind of struggle. I'm not some kind of bravo. I would -much- rather convince the guy to go home and rethink his life. Haircut, suit, tie, girlfriend. That kind of thing. However, I can't run for crap, so I try and harden up best I can. There isn't anything in my wallet to take, no promises he'll buy that excuse. I knew someone who got beat the piss out of -after- he handed over his wallet. Rather not be that guy.

M.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Look for a school that does sparring. What you "learn" is useless without trying to apply it against a thinking, non-compliant opponent.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Look for a school that does sparring. What you "learn" is useless without trying to apply it against a thinking, non-compliant opponent.
    Shhhh. They like their flowery dance forms. They like their punches in the air in front of a mirror with their hands at their sides. Let them have it. Some day, they'll realize what you're saying and they'll show up at a Thai boxing place or a Judo club or Jiu Jitsu academy. Until then, let it go.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sir please take one half step to the left and reach like you wanna grab my wrist.... but like not too fast.... haha! Gotcha! Now I shall unleash my 5 palm death strike combo!

That was me suggesting that you find something practical. I agree with RM and weldinghawk. Learning technique is excellent (as long as it translates to real situations). But, unless you just want this to be a way to get a bit more exercise you gotta spar. At the very least you have to find someone that will give you 50% resistance.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but is there a difference between sparring and practicing with a partner? That's what we do in hap ki do, but it is only 1x a week.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast