Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Martial Arts/Self-Defense DIY Sources/Advice? page 6

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hi, thank you.

Well I did my first month of aikido, and I really like both classes, but I do suck in both (sometimes instructors just laugh helplessly). I am learning at about 1/4 of a rate of anyone else (that may be generous). I am still doing 2x aikido and 1x hapkido for Sept-Oct.

I am about just as pathetic at running as well, and I have been running for a few years now. I can do slow and steady, I can't do fast (knees start give out/wobble, scary).

The only thing I could be a little bit above average in (or at least average?) is swimming, but I doubt that will be a great asset in a MA class. Sometimes I ask myself why I bother with all the stuff I can't do well, and just go and swim.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Off Duty is offline Member
    That's awesome Leida!!
    Congratulations.

Stay with it and you'll be fine.
    You will get better as you train, and things will make more sense as you go along.

I've always found in Aikido especially, that the other Aikidoka are usually more than willing to help you out.

As for running, I have a knee that hates me thanks to the Military.
    I still do it, just never fast, and I'd never consider doing anything close to a marathon or anything like that. Maybe a mud run next year or the warrior challenge, but that's about it. Instead, I do it for me. Slow and steady will get you there. Again, when the proverbial SHTF, you'll be surprised how strong and steady your legs will be If they get you out of harms way, then they've done their job!

Hang in there lady and keep me updated on your progress if you don't mind.

OD

Primal Kas is offline Member
    I know I'm a bit late, but just my little two cents...look into Muay Thai (Thai Boxing). A good source of self-defense as it tries to keep the aggressor at a distance and it teaches close quarters strikes via elbows and knees.

It also helps with balance and strength as well as cardio all in one. This is also something easily done at home with a bag if you're alone, or focus mitts/large kick bags if you have a person with you. Mix up the striking locations so as to develop all your limbs for defense/offense.

Primal Kas is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hi, thank you.

Well I did my first month of aikido, and I really like both classes, but I do suck in both (sometimes instructors just laugh helplessly). I am learning at about 1/4 of a rate of anyone else (that may be generous). I am still doing 2x aikido and 1x hapkido for Sept-Oct.

I am about just as pathetic at running as well, and I have been running for a few years now. I can do slow and steady, I can't do fast (knees start give out/wobble, scary).

The only thing I could be a little bit above average in (or at least average?) is swimming, but I doubt that will be a great asset in a MA class. Sometimes I ask myself why I bother with all the stuff I can't do well, and just go and swim.
    First let me start by saying congratulations on starting...Martial Arts is an awesome workout and a great philosophy also.

Don't let your rate of learning deter you though (which it seems that it is not)...martial arts practitioners take YEARS to hone their craft and still after all that can stand to learn more.

As for the running, just think of the tortoise and the hair (slow and steady beats fast and clumsy any day)...and if you can't do that, any cardio (including swimming) is good for stamina in Martial Arts. Also, you can try running the width of the pool with the water at about your sternum line, that way you get the resistance you need against your feet and arm swings (and as a bonus when your tired you can just float there).

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I walk the 'lazy river' feature in our pool against the current when lanes are too busy to swim. I used to do my personal Valkyrie workout a couple of years back, swinging kettlebells, rowing, then walking against the current, but takes a lot of time to get through. Was fun, though.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456