Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can my son and hubby get the most out of the gym? page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

How can my son and hubby get the most out of the gym?

My son was awarded a fitness scholarship, it includes a grant for a mentor as well; he chose his dad. The thing is we only have one gym in our town and it's one of those where they give you a card and you can go in whenever you want. We asked if they have any trainers there and the answer was no, though they said if we find a trainer they would work something out where the trainer can come in with them. At this time we don't know anyone like that.

My son is 15, he's been lifting some free weights, bench pressing, pull-ups, push-up and doing YAYOG with me and his dad. My question is what would you recommend they work on at the gym given that there is no one there to train them? My husband doesn't feel comfortable doing deadlifts, power cleans etc. w/o guidance. It's possible that they may meet someone at the gym with lifting experience, but chances are they will be on there own.

I'll pass on the suggestions to them.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Beware of some people you meet at the gym with "lifting expierence" because it doesn't always translate to good experience or knowledge. There are lots of instructional videos you can watch on the internet as well and - all though I have yet to read it - I have heard that the book "Starting Strength" is a wealth of knowledge. No need to really do anything complicated if your just trying to lift heavy things, maintain muscle and gain strength. Look into Strong Lifts.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength. I was pretty good at working out at 15, but I wish I had done that program then.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Starting Strength. I was pretty good at working out at 15, but I wish I had done that program then.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    Yup. Starting Strength is a must read. The OP's son should do the program, it will give him a strength foundation for the rest of his life, and with ease.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Do you guys think that SS is something they could do w/o a trainer to show them how to lift, will reading the book and watching videos be enough? I should add that my son is not naturally coordinated, he doesn't do any sports. He's only recently gotten interested in doing anything really physical. He doesn't need to lose weight, he's 5'10.75" and weighs around 150 I think.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Do you guys think that SS is something they could do w/o a trainer to show them how to lift, will reading the book and watching videos be enough? I should add that my son is not naturally coordinated, he doesn't do any sports. He's only recently gotten interested in doing anything really physical. He doesn't need to lose weight, he's 5'10.75" and weighs around 150 I think.
    Yup. Go slow, have someone watch, join the SS forums and post videos to get feedback.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Lifts are explained in painful detail in SS. Your Husband could read it, watch our son and know if he was doing it wrong. It would be better still if your son read it. There is no better time to learn how to do the lifts with correct form than being young and just beginning.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    He doesn't need to lose weight, he's 5'10.75" and weighs around 150 I think.
    He will have to gain weight to do SS properly.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Is there a Crossfit box near you? Some of them (like mine) have a certified USA Weightlifting coach, who might be willing to meet you at your local gym for some lessons. Just be sure that your local gym has the right sort of equipment. Many of the big chain gyms don't have the Olympic weightlifting bars, bumpers, etc.

BeatMD is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This could be a little over the top but your son is young, if he does have a smart phone have hin put the SS videos on his phone. Have his dad do a side by side, record him. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast