Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cinnamon rolls?? page

Kris C is offline Senior Member

cinnamon rolls??

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have a GOOD paelo-fied/primalized cinnamon roll recipe that isn't complicated? And has been tested on non-paleo/primal peeps? My family does not follow this way of eating but if I can make some dessert or snack foods that taste good to them I might at least make a bit of improvement and feel less bad about their diets.

Or should I just stick to the "Better Than Pillsbury," Non-GMO Project verified, Immaculate Bakery brand (organic) refrigerated cinnamon rolls? (Yes, I know Immaculate is now part of General Mills. I also understand that small companies gain a lot from the distribution the large company can put behind it. It's a Catch-22 so please don't make the posts about that.) Thanks!!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    The simplest thing would be to get a box of Chebe cinnamon roll mix. It uses manioc (tapioca) flour, which is primal even if the actual product isn't. People say they're delicious. I have a box but never prepared it. Has a short list of whole ingredients; most natural stores and amazon carries it -- here's a link: Chebe Bread Cinnamon Roll Mix, Gluten Free, 7.5-Ounce Box (Pack of 8): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food I would not mess around with complicated and expensive nut meal recipes if you can just take a major shortcut. Tapioca is better than nut flours IMO.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-14-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I'll look it up.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    The simplest thing would be to get a box of Chebe cinnamon roll mix. It uses manioc (tapioca) flour, which is primal even if the actual product isn't. People say they're delicious. I have a box but never prepared it. Has a short list of whole ingredients; most natural stores and amazon carries it -- here's a link: Chebe Bread Cinnamon Roll Mix, Gluten Free, 7.5-Ounce Box (Pack of 8): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food I would not mess around with complicated and expensive nut meal recipes if you can just take a major shortcut. Tapioca is better than nut flours IMO.
    Safety Warning
    Allergen information: Contains no common allergens.

Ingredients
    Manioc (Tapioca) Flour, Modified Manioc Starch, evaporated Cane Juice, cinnamon, iodine-free Sea Salt. Allergy Information: Contains No Wheat, no Soy, no Corn, No Rice, no Potato, no Yeast, no Nuts, no Peanuts, no Lactose, no Casein.

Meh. Sounds fine. Clearly empty calories, but nothing inherently bad for you. Totally acceptable on occasion IMO.

You could also just find a regular recipe for cinnamon rolls and sub in tapioca starch, or a blend of white rice/tapioca flours.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You could also just find a regular recipe for cinnamon rolls and sub in tapioca starch, or a blend of white rice/tapioca flours.
    That will cook up very different. I suggest looking for gluten-free recipes that fit your dietary needs with only minor modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That will cook up very different. I suggest looking for gluten-free recipes that fit your dietary needs with only minor modifications.
    Honestly, not really. You can consult Google but there are white rice flour/tapioca starch blends intended to sub 1:1 with all purpose wheat flour. It's something like 2 cups white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca starch = 3 cups wheat flour. I've also had success with 1.5 cups white rice, 1 cup tapioca, 0.5 cups sorghum. Most will tell you to put xanthan gum in it, but I can never tell much a difference. Admittedly, I don't bake outside of the odd fermented cornbread. For that I directly sub hominy/grits for corn meal and masa harina for all purpose flour. Not only does it sub 100% perfectly, it tastes BETTER. Man, now I want chili and cornbread.

I probably haven't made a cake or pie for a year and a half. Meh, I'd rather have ice cream. No subs needed.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

How much baking have you done, aside from googling gluten-free flour substitutes? Neither of those will work in a yeast dough, which is what cinnamon rolls are made from.

A 1:1 substitution of tapioca starch for wheat flour, your first suggestion, will be a watery slurry, nothing like a pliable dough.

How much baking have you done, aside from googling gluten-free flour substitutes? Neither of those will work in a yeast dough, which is what cinnamon rolls are made from.

A 1:1 substitution of tapioca starch for wheat flour, your first suggestion, will be a watery slurry, nothing like a pliable dough.
    Who said anything about a yeast dough? The cinnamon rolls above are not yeast-based. You need gluten for yeast to work properly. They use baking powder. I never said a word about yeast. In terms of consistency when using baking powder and baking soda, it is a fairly close match. I've never seen yeast work out with any gluten-free blend, ever. Only poor attempts.

Who said anything about a yeast dough? The cinnamon rolls above are not yeast-based. You need gluten for yeast to work properly. They use baking powder. I never said a word about yeast. In terms of consistency when using baking powder and baking soda, it is a fairly close match. I've never seen yeast work out with any gluten-free blend, ever. Only poor attempts.
    I just assumed that since almost all recipes for cinnamon rolls are yeast recipes, when you said "regular recipe for cinnamon rolls" you really meant it. Sorry. I will work on my mind-reading.

I just assumed that since almost all recipes for cinnamon rolls are yeast recipes, when you said "regular recipe for cinnamon rolls" you really meant it. Sorry. I will work on my mind-reading.
    Read the ingredients posted above on the baking mix. The mix above that I was referencing is all tapioca starch.

As I mentioned before:

All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Recipe - Food.com - 259164

6 cups rice flour
    2 cups potato starch
    1 cup tapioca flour
    2 tablespoons xanthan gum

That's a recipe for all-purpose gluten-free flour. That's meant to sub 1:1 with all-purpose wheat flour, including in yeast-based recipes. You CAN get it to rise with xanthan gum, but I've had yeast-risen gluten-free bread. It rose just fine and looked nice. My God, was it awful. Dry as bones, it felt like a brick and had a similar consistency. Just terrible. Great for turkey stuffing (because it works best with stale bread), and therefore probably French toast or bread pudding, but terrible on its own. Maybe it is possible to make halfway decent yeast bread, but I've never seen even a halfway acceptable attempt. I'd rather just have a properly fermented sourdough at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast