Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cinnamon rolls?? page 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'd rather just have a properly fermented sourdough at that point.
    Do you do your sourdough with wheat flour or gluten free? My hubby wants me to bake again and hates the coconut flour stuff.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't bake much anymore because of the palatability issue. You can find gluten-free recipes online that are supposed to be perfect subs for standard baked goods (brioche!), but the list of ingredients is a mile long and full of crap.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Cinnamon rolls are probably the ultimate moment where gluten shines--can't really fake that elasticity. I would probably just make bars or muffins and add cinnamon glaze or icing. I decided baking is a lot less stressful when I don't care about the geometry so I just start with a blob of boiled/mashed starch, eggs, baking powder, and go from there.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    Juli Bauer of PaleOMG just posted this delicious-looking recipe today: PaleOMG Paleo Recipes Cinnamon Roll Balls

Not really traditional cinnamon rolls, but I feel like they'd sufficiently knock the cravings for something sweet and cinnamon-y out of the park.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Do you do your sourdough with wheat flour or gluten free? My hubby wants me to bake again and hates the coconut flour stuff.
    I don't think I've had a piece of sourdough bread in...almost three years. It depends what your frequency is I guess. If you're going to incorporate it regularly into your diet, maybe it would be worth finding a gluten-free option. Or maybe if you have a proper starter with a little lactic acid bacteria added and you use a non-GMO sprouted wheat flour (it's sold at Whole Foods for ~$3.50/lb), that may be fine in many cases. For me, someone who hasn't consumed actual bread in ages, if I'm going to do it I'm going to go for the real stuff.

Now, cornbread, brownies, pancakes, waffles, I do them every once in awhile. I ate a whole tray of brownies last week - 3 very ripe bananas, 3 eggs, 3T cocoa powder, vanilla and baking powder in a blender with a few drops of stevia to round out the cocoa bitterness. Frosting was 0% Greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a handful of unsweetened shredded coconut. Baked up just like brownies and I ate that whole tray with a chicken breast as my carb refeed. I challenge you to tell me that's unhealthy I've also had good luck making brownies out of caramelized baked sweet potatoes and cocoa powder. Wrap 3 or 4 large ones tightly in foil, bake them til they practically turn into syrup, mix in cocoa and an egg or two, toss them in an 8"x8" baker...they'll bake right into brownies. Throw in a handful of semisweet chocolate chips and you got yourself a whole tray of brownies for ~800 kcal or so.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    Juli Bauer of PaleOMG just posted this delicious-looking recipe today: PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Cinnamon Roll Balls

Not really traditional cinnamon rolls, but I feel like they'd sufficiently knock the cravings for something sweet and cinnamon-y out of the park.
    I just might have to make those--just seeing this topic title repeatedly has made me crave cinnamon rolls.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12