Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Paleobird : The Phoenix Takes Fight Again page 37

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    PB, you must take a stealth photo of him with your phone so we can gawk.
    Nope, I don't date and post. Besides, I gave my number to two guys that evening and I have a date with the other one in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    PB knows how to date people. She doesn't need our advice. LOL
    Today is a big day. But, I can't explain now. Probably will tomorrow.
    I manage. Hmmm??????

Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Mmmmm. Yummy yummy food pix... Now I'm really craving fried eggs...
    Funzy on the new guy thing girl!! I hope this one actually turns out to be the man of your dreams. Met a new one myself, so far so good!
    Also so happy that the Wolf Cub sounds completely recovered.
    Yes, I heard you had a new flame too. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That Time pic is so sad. I never understood how those little protein bombs could be so bad for anyone. 70 calories, no sugar, decent amount of protein for only 70 calories. Which isn't to say that I didn't occasionally buy Egg Beaters (gawd). I just never understood picking on the incredible edible egg.

Cool on the new guy!
    Egg Beaters! Gack! I think I'm going to try that egg hack thing sometime soon.

Ok, now I can explain.
    We are moving to the US!

Cool thing is that my friend and colleague is taking over the business here, DH has already found work where we are going, and I already have some corporate gigs lining up as well.
    Awesome! Where in the US?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We're going to Pittsburgh. DH went to university there, so he's really excited to go back. My sister lives there too, and I have connections to two companies already for yoga classes (through a client here and through a friend there). So, that's pretty cool, too.

Looks like we'll be able to hit the ground running.

Paleobird Guest
    We're going to Pittsburgh. DH went to university there, so he's really excited to go back. My sister lives there too, and I have connections to two companies already for yoga classes (through a client here and through a friend there). So, that's pretty cool, too.

Looks like we'll be able to hit the ground running.
    Wonderful. How soon is this all due to happen?

Looking at October. We'll run through San Fran to visit my Aunt there, and then head to DH's parents for a few days, and then meet up with my parents before moving (they're helping us move our suitcases and remaining boxes that are in the US) to Pittsburgh.

It's shocking and all quick, but things are falling into place nicely.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Looking at October. We'll run through San Fran to visit my Aunt there, and then head to DH's parents for a few days, and then meet up with my parents before moving (they're helping us move our suitcases and remaining boxes that are in the US) to Pittsburgh.

Whoa - I thought you were all set to become a Kiwi national or something like that - did they not renew or allow your paperwork?? And I thought you adored the cultural climate and the free Waldorf and all that...
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Paleobird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Whoa - I thought you were all set to become a Kiwi national or something like that - did they not renew or allow your paperwork?? And I thought you adored the cultural climate and the free Waldorf and all that...
    Besides now I won't be able to visit you when I take a vacation to New Zealand. Yep. That decides it. You really should stay put.

Well, immigration won't let us. The long and short is that between Visa I and Visa II, there was a policy change. When we started on Visa I, we had to grow the business to X and also do Y. In order for our application for Visa II to be accepted. But last year, there was a policy change where you had to grow the business to X + A and then also do Y + B. And, if you didn't do that, but they think you'll do it within 12 months, then they'll grant the visa.

While our rate of growth is good, we couldn't meet A and B within 12 months. Two years? Yes. but not 12 months. As such, our application was denied. Of course, we didn't even know of the policy change until we heard that our visa was not going to be approved. Then we moved through our appeals and every other method we could to get there.

The other side of that equation is that, in the past, the policy process was "benefit of the doubt." Ok, so everything is on track, not perfect, we'll let you in. Now, for various reasons, you have to "prove" that you are not going to go on the dole. So, their belief is "because you don't reach the standard and are unlikely to in the next 12 months, you'll probably fold the business and go on welfare. As such, we're not going to give you the visa." This is because it's been happening A LOT recently, and they are denying A LOT of residency visas these days anyway.

Even WETA, who used to be able to get a visa in about 7 minutes (literally, people didn't even apply until they arrived, and they have a person who works at WETA who does the paperwork, emails it to immigration, and then the WETA personnel goes to immigration and gets their stamp *that day*), is now having to wait months for approvals and often don't get those approvals.

So, everything tightened up.

Yes, we were on track to become citizens -- that was our plan. Visa I, Visa II (to get residency), then 5 years into Permanent Residence (which would have been two years after Visa II was issued), we could apply for citizenship. But, we got dinked at Visa II, so that's that.

It's all good though. YOu know? You learn to dust yourself off and move forward.

Well, hell, Zoe. Sorry you got screwed by the bureaucracy - I know you are capable of pulling your own weight and contributing.

Pitt, eh? I live within striking distance, and sometimes go there for a date with hubby. When all the dust has settled, there is this sushi place just down the street from the Rex Theater, and that is the Pittsburgh home of The Moth storytelling nights. I think you would enjoy that.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Paleobird Guest
    Sorry that didn't work out for you Zoe but it sounds like you are landing on your feet all right.

I had another date tonight. The second of the two guys I met at the dance Saturday. This one is a recently retired orthopedic surgeon. Nice guy. I like beards. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I had another date tonight. The second of the two guys I met at the dance Saturday. This one is a recently retired orthopedic surgeon. Nice guy. I like beards. We shall see.
    Hmmm - retired surgeon speaks to intelligence and drive; "nice guy" = pleasing personality, also good; beard is a plus in my book. If you enjoyed the evening, I would say, second date, PB.

Btw - beard: trimmed or wild-grown??

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast