Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird : The Phoenix Takes Fight Again page 32

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Hope Wolf Cub gets better.....

Pepcid is a medication that stops acid production in the stomach.... Pepto neutralizes the acid and coats the stomach
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 08-08-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Hope Wolf Cub is feeling better today. As said above, one dose of Pepcid lowers acid production, pretty much for the whole day, which gives the tummy chance to settle. Pepto much more short term to neutralize what is there. If he can't hold down water today then I think it is vet time. They can become dehydrated very quickly. The vet may want to give a Cerenia injection to stop the vomiting, and/or do blood tests to find the cause.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Paleobird Guest
    He's not puking anymore, just lying there sleeping. Probably good for him to rest.

It kind of worries me though that he is isolating himself from me. Last night he slept in the guest room when he normally sleeps with me. Right now he is across the room curled up in a corner.

I don't know if I should try to get him out for a walk or just let him rest.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    so sorry to hear about the furry one -- let him rest but do you think he's running a temp? Are his ears warm, do his feet pads radiate heat or feel sweaty? Or conversely, are they clammy? Look at his gums, are they bright red or super-pale? Is his breath rapid - the vet may ask over the phone if he is "belly breathing" or just rib cage breathing.

agree if he can't keep in water that's problematic but these other symptoms will tell you more info quickly.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    so sorry to hear about the furry one -- let him rest but do you think he's running a temp? Are his ears warm, do his feet pads radiate heat or feel sweaty? Or conversely, are they clammy? Look at his gums, are they bright red or super-pale? Is his breath rapid - the vet may ask over the phone if he is "belly breathing" or just rib cage breathing.

agree if he can't keep in water that's problematic but these other symptoms will tell you more info quickly.
    Let's see.....

Ears and feet normal temp and gums look normal color. He is breathing with rib cage and belly at a normal resting rate. He just seems lethargic. Normally if I would get up from a chair as I just did, he would be up and bouncing around saying, "Oh boy, are we going somewhere?"

Good diagnostic questions. Thanks, spk.

I just realized that I haven't eaten in almost 48 hours. I usually only eat once a day and I just didn't feel like it last night. Some combination of worrying about my baby and wasting time flailing around in the Peat Bog. Just never got around to dinner. It's now coming up on dinner time again and I am finally starting to feel hungry. I think I'll go have some eggs. Maybe I could tempt the Wolf Cub to have some too.

spk
    Sure - no problem, it's what I do for work. Sounds like no infection & normal breathing so either he got some bug in him accidentally or he's testing you....as they love to do!

If he enjoys some eggs that's the BEST thing he (and you ) could have. If he doesn't and still hasn't drunk by tomorrow a.m. I highly recommend you get him seen. You do not want to go to an emergency clinic on the weekends, they are very hard on everyone. And w/ this warm summer, he will dehydrate quickly. It's the fact he can't keep h20 down; at least w/ food, they get some moisture. They'd at minimum hydrate him and give you anti-nausea med.

Good Luck - I hate it when my furries are sick!!

Paleobird Guest
    You're a vet? Cool.

Testing me? Nah! that doesn't seem like something he would do. He's generally a very happy, mellow, friendly dog. I think he got a bug somehow.

Water seems to be staying down now. That's good. We'll try the eggs next. They always seem to be easy for me to digest if I've had an upset tummy.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    PB, if it comes down to being seen (fingers crossed it won't), I am sure you have an awesome vet, but if you don't, my mom lives in SD and has such an amazing vet. I think he's in the PB La Jolla BLVD area so let me know. My mom, all of my friends and her friends all take their animals to him.

Probably a suggestion not needed because pup is about to feel much better. :0)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

spk
    Oh! no no no, not a vet! I have a 13 year pet care busi and a mom who is a retired nurse; you'd be surprised how cross-species the diagnostic tools are and how much you pick up as a kid in hospitals, emergency rooms, etc. I've spent so much time taking care of ill people/pets, you'd think I had a degree. Need some sub-cutaneous fluid? I'm there. Want someone while they put in a portacath? Done.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion oceangrl made and the pooch appears on the mend (yay).

By 'testing you' I meant spiritually--it's a goofy pet care thing. Like the doggie mothership told them to keep you on your toes and they just get ill for a bit, to make sure all your emergency response systems are operating...see, goofy.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    PB, if it comes down to being seen (fingers crossed it won't), I am sure you have an awesome vet, but if you don't, my mom lives in SD and has such an amazing vet. I think he's in the PB La Jolla BLVD area so let me know. My mom, all of my friends and her friends all take their animals to him.

Probably a suggestion not needed because pup is about to feel much better. :0)
    Thank you, oceangirl. I appreciate it. I do have a good vet here right in my neighborhood that I trust. Another good thing is that he is open on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Oh! no no no, not a vet! I have a 13 year pet care busi and a mom who is a retired nurse; you'd be surprised how cross-species the diagnostic tools are and how much you pick up as a kid in hospitals, emergency rooms, etc. I've spent so much time taking care of ill people/pets, you'd think I had a degree. Need some sub-cutaneous fluid? I'm there. Want someone while they put in a portacath? Done.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion oceangrl made and the pooch appears on the mend (yay).

By 'testing you' I meant spiritually--it's a goofy pet care thing. Like the doggie mothership told them to keep you on your toes and they just get ill for a bit, to make sure all your emergency response systems are operating...see, goofy.
    Oh, I see. Well, it's good to have you as part of my emergency response system. Thank you.

Well I made some eggs and he sniffed at them and took a couple of bites but that was all. He then went back to his corner and curled up again.

I have no idea how old the Wolf Cub is. I have had him for 7 years but he was already full grown when I got him. My vet/dear friend estimated that he was about three or four then based on wear of the teeth but she said this was difficult to pin down in street dogs since their teeth get a lot more wear and tear than house pets. So, he's maybe 10ish but I really can't be sure. He could be a lot older. I have noticed looking at old pics of him that the fur around his muzzle has gone from salt and pepper to almost all salt.

Sigh. I love that little guy.

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast