Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird : The Phoenix Takes Fight Again page 28

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    PaleoBird - can you point me in the direction of some beginning level hiking groups in San Diego? I'd like to get my feet in the dirt but Cowles Mountain is still a bit much for me at this point!
    Well, there is a group here called, and I kid you not, "The Supa Slow MoFos" which specify that they are not about racing to the top of peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    When I hear "Ray Peat" my brain hears "rape eat".
    Ewwww. Your brain needs a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    This kinda breaks my heart a little. I come to this site for information and learning from others experiences, yours having been one of them. And I was the one on that thread, trying to talk your friend Derp out of his "anti-feminism" tree after he posted somethings that I found bewildering. I thought I did the best I could and argued the good points.

I actually came here to continue learning because your same issues w/ what what they say as Peat-itarians are my same issues. It appears people didn't see his offensive post the same way I did; as something that needed countering.
    His ramblings about feminism I do disagree with but they are so far out there that there doesn't seem to be any point in being offended or engaging with him on that topic. Kind of like trying to have a rational discussion with the homeless guy in the park who goes around yelling at shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Hey paleobird,
    I do agree with a natural way of eating. It's one of the reasons I visit MDA. Admittedly I never read any of Peats work, just others' interpretation.
    The members here inspired by Peat seem intelligent based on their posts, so I'm interested in their views.
    I can see how it would confuse new people though.
    Some of them are intelligent. They are just misinformed. Ray Peat is a scientist of sorts and so he is able to write intelligently. Or at least it sounds intelligent even when it is completely wrong. I read his article on diabetes today. I took care of my father who had diabetes and who completely reversed that diagnosis through Primal. Peat would have diabetics given piles of sugar to "cure" them. And he writes it so it sounds intelligent. He's. Still. Wrong. Had I taken his advice, my fathers life would have been cut much shorter. This is the harm that intelligent sounding malarky can do.

The people who do the interpreting of Peat, primarily Danny Roddy and Matt Stone are bloggers who are only in it for the money. Roddy panders to guys who are insecure about losing their hair and Matt appeals to the type of dieter who is fed up with diets because they always take it too far so now they take it too far in the opposite direction and have a pizza, ice cream and soda fest. Each of them cherry pick isolated bits and pieces of Peat's writings to cite as "scientific" backing for their claims.

But if you actually go back and read the actual Peat himself, it is amazingly dense and rambling and massively incoherent and extremely vague. It's like tarot cards. You can interpret it to mean anything you want. I'm a fairly literate person having a doctorate in Education and having published works of my own. I read his stuff and I can't figure out what his point is. I understand the concepts but it is written in such a disjointed way that you keep wondering when he is going to get to the point or if there ever even was one.

Besides, Peat's writings just reek of snake oil to me. Every one about various physical maladies, etc. keeps leading back to the same root problems in the thyroid. All women and most men have estrogen dominance issues and he convinces people of this with a list of every possible vaguely worded ailment under the sun at least one of which applies to just about everybody, things such as "fatigue, headaches, insomnia, low libido" (which could easily be caused by a host of other problems). But no, your problem, my friend, is estrogen dominance. I, since I'm such a nice guy, will provide you with the solution to your problem in the form of my very own patented "Dr. Peat" name brand progesterone oil (for only $29.99 per .25oz bottle plus shipping and handling). And don't listen to your doctor who tells you that all the tests show you are fine. He is just a money grubbing part of the Big Pharma machinery. I, Ray Peat, retired college professor, know your pain and will be happy to sell you the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Hey... whats wrong with circumcised libertarians?????? Hmmmmm?????
    Hah! I even dangled the bait of a vaccine debate and nobody took me up on it. That one is always a crowd pleaser. Oh well.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    all ive read of RP has been on here and i interpret that as a diabetics nightmare
    This was posted while I was writing the above. Yes. People like CarbDodger who live with diabetes on a daily basis and people like myself who have watched a loved one ravaged by this disease know how much BS that man is peddling.

My only hope is that someone doesn't die before they figure it out.

The Peat forums are full of people trying to ask questions about why things aren't working for them. The main complaints seem to be weight gain, digestive upsets, and acne. They keep getting told to eat MOAR sugar.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    MOAR sugar. Yuck. It doesn't even sound appealing.

After tangling a while ago in a thread, I am avoiding trying to give my point of view to anyone. It just isn't worth the backlash.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    After tangling a while ago in a thread, I am avoiding trying to give my point of view to anyone. It just isn't worth the backlash.
    +1, I'm with you there Honeybuns, I try not to give advice, I found what works for me and leave it at that, as it might not be what works for someone else!
    Do I recall you thinking of folding as well after your spat? Glad you never as you're hiking photos are top banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My only hope is that someone doesn't die before they figure it out.
    Unfortunately, don't want to appear fatalistic, but it might be a question of when before they figure it out.

Paleobird Guest
    You're right but I just can't help feeling this need to refute the BS that is confusing and turning away people who could potentially be helped by the PB. I know that is not my job. I just need to keep reminding myself of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    +1, I'm with you there Honeybuns, I try not to give advice, I found what works for me and leave it at that, as it might not be what works for someone else!
    Do I recall you thinking of folding as well after your spat? Glad you never as you're hiking photos are top banana.

Unfortunately, don't want to appear fatalistic, but it might be a question of when before they figure it out.
    Yes, I think on both ends of the "carb wars" people should add the disclaimer "This is what works for me, YMMV."

Yes, I do think that Peat is dangerous in that way. Just enough science to make it sound plausible and incredibly learned (particularly if one didn't pick apart his source material which is sketchy at best). Throw in some things to attract sugar addicts. Then sell them all your hormone manipulating potions.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Eat MOAR fat doesen't sound much more appealing too me, so double YUCK!
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Eat MOAR fat doesen't sound much more appealing too me, so double YUCK!
    You are not welcome on my journal, Gorbag. Take your attitude elsewhere.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    You are not welcome on my journal, Gorbag. Take your attitude elsewhere.
    Heh, how did I stumble into this place anyway? I am not drunk today, so maybe I am close to ketosis or something? Sorry Paleobird wrong door, let me get out of here fast as f**k...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 08-05-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    But if you actually go back and read the actual Peat himself, it is amazingly dense and rambling and massively incoherent and extremely vague. It's like tarot cards. You can interpret it to mean anything you want. I'm a fairly literate person having a doctorate in Education and having published works of my own. I read his stuff and I can't figure out what his point is. I understand the concepts but it is written in such a disjointed way that you keep wondering when he is going to get to the point or if there ever even was one.
    I skimmed an article and decided to let the smarter people decipher it for me. Kind of lazy on my part... but it's not like Mark's writing, which is always a pleasant read.

Although I can believe the part about thyroid being the root of many health issues. Hormonal imbalance exists even if all labs are perfect and no diagnosis. I was always considered very healthy, all lab results were fine, but was infertile at 26.

girlhk is offline Senior Member

Hah! I even dangled the bait of a vaccine debate and nobody took me up on it. That one is always a crowd pleaser. Oh well.
    Lol, if there were more mothers/parents, the discussion would have gone another way...

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast