Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird : The Phoenix Takes Fight Again page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like an awesome new chapter to me!

A lot of ladies whom I know who had trouble losing weight did amazing once they cut the booze. That alone will probably go a long way toward your goals. That and the exercise.

Way to go!

Paleobird Guest
    From the Whole 9 site re booze:
    THE ALCOHOL MANIFESTO

Consumption of alcohol provokes an unhealthy psychological response by reducing inhibitions—thus making it all the easier to make poor food choices when under the influence of even small amounts of alcohol. Furthermore, the effects on the brain carry over until the next day, which means a drink or three on a Friday night may lead to a weekend’s worth of junk food. And remember how sugar is “empty calories”? Alcohol is nearly twice as calorie-dense, with no micronutrition to speak of.

From a hormonal perspective, alcohol consumption interferes with glucose regulation (disturbing normal blood sugar levels), in part by disrupting the action of regulatory hormones like insulin and glucagon. That disruption can promote systemic inflammation, a root cause of many lifestyle diseases and conditions. In addition, acute and chronic alcohol consumption are also known to alter some reproductive hormone levels.

Alcohol, even moderate amounts, has been shown to alter the balance of gut bacteria, potentially contributing to dysbiosis. Since the delicate balance of gut bacteria have a tremendous impact on our overall health, anything (including alcohol consumption) that disrupts that balance can impact long-term health in a negative way.

Finally, alcohol is acutely neurotoxic, even in small amounts, altering the normal activity of your nervous system, causing damage to nerve tissue, and disrupting or even killing neurons, the cells that transmit and process signals in the brain and other parts of the nervous system.
    Re dairy, in your case, Derpy, having no concerns about putting on weight, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't keep drinking your raw milk. I wonder if the hormonal effects of milk are different in men and women?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I think most of it is excreted anyway. It does raise IGF-1 a lot, of course, but I don't see this as a concern personally. Some others may have problems with it though.

I don't drink much milk in the summer, unless with coffee, it's yucky.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link. Put up the curtains in here yet? *cranes her neck to look around*
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Sounds like an awesome new chapter to me!

A lot of ladies whom I know who had trouble losing weight did amazing once they cut the booze. That alone will probably go a long way toward your goals. That and the exercise.

Way to go!
    Thanks, Zoe. Tomorrow starts the new chapter in PBF consistency. I did it before and it wasn't like it was arduous or anything. I think I just got out of the habit of daily exercise when I was caring for Dad.

The Whole 9 people had me at "acutely neurotoxic" in re booze. My neurologist will be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I think most of it is excreted anyway. It does raise IGF-1 a lot, of course, but I don't see this as a concern personally. Some others may have problems with it though.

I don't drink much milk in the summer, unless with coffee, it's yucky.
    I think the jury is still out on the hormonal effects so I don't consider it proven but I think they may be onto something at Whole9. This is kind of going back to old school Paleo. The ability to digest milk and meant survival because you could pack on the pounds and make it through a hard winter. If I were trying to survive a hard winter in Norway, some milk products would be great. But I am here in sunny SoCal trying to lose 20lbs.

My dairy of choice has been the high fat cheeses which are really concentrated calorie bombs. Too easy to eat because it tastes good and not really stop when no longer hungry.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Thanks for the link. Put up the curtains in here yet? *cranes her neck to look around*
    Yep, all moved in.

Wrap for the day:
    45 minute walk in the sun in minimal sundress (moving slowly and Vit D, check)
    Creme fraiche with blueberries for lunch
    bowl of exquisite chile for dinner
    Teeccino with a bit of coconut cream throughout the day

Off to get caught up on NCIS LA.

I seem to be naturally gravitating towards less alcohol. It just doesn't have the appeal it used to.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    I seem to be naturally gravitating towards less alcohol. It just doesn't have the appeal it used to.
    I think this may have to do with what the Whole 9 people were saying about alcohol interfering with glucose regulation and also causing gut dysbiosis.

Now that you have your glucose and guts well sorted out, the body objects more to having them messed with. Perhaps you just notice the negative effects more once you are at a "normal" that actually feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think this may have to do with what the Whole 9 people were saying about alcohol interfering with glucose regulation and also causing gut dysbiosis.

Now that you have your glucose and guts well sorted out, the body objects more to having them messed with. Perhaps you just notice the negative effects more once you are at a "normal" that actually feels great.
    That could be it. We have been trying to eat more meat, veg, and fat instead of crap lately.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I was talking with my nutritionist about my boob problem ie they aren't shrinking! and he suggested cutting out dairy because of the hormones. so no milk cream and no more than 20g butter a day for me currently. I'll update you if I get any benefit.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast