Thread: Sprinting on the Beach! page

LerxstFan is offline Junior Member

Sprinting on the Beach!

Shop Now
    I was at Wallace Sands beach in NH yesterday with my family. The tide was all the way out and there was so much hard sand available for tossing the disc and running around with my kids. My son, who is about to turn 12, challenged me to a race. He knows I have been dealing with sciatica this winter and spring, but I have been feeling 100% pain free for a few months now.

I figure, what the heck, it will make him happy - I could easily tell by the overconfident look on his little, cute face, that he was itching to whoop his old man in a race We ran up and down the beach a few times. He's fast for a little guy, but I wasn't ready to give up easily. We split the races 50/50. It felt absolutely amazing. I have not run/sprinted in more than a year, and running barefoot on the hard sand as fast as I could go felt incredible! Even better to be running with my son laughing by my side. Even though my glutes and hamstrings were sore today, I'll be doing more 'racing' this summer
    "These amps go to 11..." Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

SW: 225
    CW: 177
    GW: 170
    M/43/6'

slog is offline Member
    Ha! Racing your son; I don't think it gets any better than that My son is also 12, and I used to whip him over 100m + even if he'd cane me over the first 40-60m. We haven't raced for a couple of years due to my fears of getting injured whilst training obsessively for IM (I know, saddo). However, all this is about to change when we go to Miami next week on vacation. He can't stop winding me up about it! The trouble is he's super quick ( came 3rd in nationals racing a year up/older) and I'm a couple years older..... Wish me luck!

LerxstFan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slog View Post
    Ha! Racing your son; I don't think it gets any better than that My son is also 12, and I used to whip him over 100m + even if he'd cane me over the first 40-60m. We haven't raced for a couple of years due to my fears of getting injured whilst training obsessively for IM (I know, saddo). However, all this is about to change when we go to Miami next week on vacation. He can't stop winding me up about it! The trouble is he's super quick ( came 3rd in nationals racing a year up/older) and I'm a couple years older..... Wish me luck!
    I agree that they can get out of the gate faster, but the long stride does help close the last distance! I hope your vacation is awesome and that you get in a lot of racing, though it sounds like you're up against some tough competition
    "These amps go to 11..." Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap

SW: 225
    CW: 177
    GW: 170
    M/43/6'