Thread: Where did you start, and where are you now? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Where did you start, and where are you now?

Shop Now
    And how long did it take you to get here?!

In the last few weeks I've begun a fitness programme that consists of sprinting / interval running / pilates / lifting / cycling / swimming. I'm exercising most days, and cycling calories (on average eating 2K a day.) I'm definitely noticing more muscle forming on my body, and specific parts are becoming more sculpted, but I'm not losing inches.

Are you ripped / on the road to it, and if so, how did the process go for you? Did you build muscle / lose fat first? Was losing fat a calculated effort, or did it just happen when you started exercising more?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I maintained my weight doing Primal food and exercise for years. I was about 20-25lb heavier than I wanted to be, and at 30% BF the whole time, no matter how I tweaked my calories and exercise. Primal eating improved a lot of other aspects of my life, but not body fat. And exercise only made me build muscle, not lose fat.

When I started Crossfit last year, I built a lot of muscle, but I didn't start losing fat until I did shangri-la diet oil shots in December. Then I lost 20lb of fat in the space of 2 months. Since then I've been maintaining. A couple months ago I started eating specifically to build muscle. I saw all my lifts go up by 5-10lb, and built 5ish pounds of muscle, along with 2-3lb of fat. Now I'm slightly sidelined due to an injury, and am taking the opportunity to cut fat again. I'm currently at 23% BF.

I wouldn't say I'm ripped, but I do feel like I'm on the road to it, and my arms, shoulders, back, and legs are noticeably "fit"-looking (noticeable to other people, not just myself). I feel like I get leaner every day. And at this point I've figured out how to reliably build muscle and cut fat when I want to. I've never been able to do both at the same time, but my BF is now low enough that I'm happy with how I look, even if I tack on some extra fat pounds while building muscle. And I know I can just lose the fat again whenever I want to with the oil shots.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    When I started Crossfit last year, I built a lot of muscle, but I didn't start losing fat until I did shangri-la diet oil shots in December. Then I lost 20lb of fat in the space of 2 months. Since then I've been maintaining. A couple months ago I started eating specifically to build muscle. I saw all my lifts go up by 5-10lb, and built 5ish pounds of muscle, along with 2-3lb of fat. Now I'm slightly sidelined due to an injury, and am taking the opportunity to cut fat again. I'm currently at 23% BF.
    That's amazing Heatseeker - congrads!!! At 23% bf you can definitely look objectively lean and fit. I'm probably at 23% bf too, but I used to be 19% and would like to get back there.

Ive seen the SL diet thread but never partook. Does it work by suppressing your appetite, or is there truth to the "raising your metabolism" theory?

When you say "eating specifically to build muscle", what do you mean?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    YB, first of all good luck!!!

I have to admit that I am fitter than ever, after 4+ years of going from cardio-boot-camp style exercise (~ 1 year) - including certification in 2 categories (which basically allows me to teach cardio/step and boot-camps) to heavy lifting with simple cardio styles. I seem to have that overall level of fitness when I am not afraid to at least try most things: exceptions are highly coordinated moves (beyond rolls/flips), anything to do with height (beyond climbing kids' wall) and plyometrics

I did not develop sufficient muscle to please me (my friend referred to it as peanut arms, lol) because I tried to keep BF to below 20% and reach 'real' 15% BF. Now I keep myself at what my BF scale reads as 22% and keep trying. My most noticeable increase was in the neck, almost 2 inches, and traps really stand out. Not what most girls dream about. But no deltoid yet.

Basically, I try to take to heart the wise words of bb.com saying that women tend to try to cut too soon. So, I will not cut till I see that deltoid pop. Which I hope to get this year. or next year. I intend to live a long life.

From the multitude of cardio things I have done, I feel that swimming, step and boxing against the bag are the most effective. Running ruins my feet and knees. The problem with all three most effective things is that they require more time and equipment. My second fitness goal this year is to get myself to do these instead of simply jumping on the elliptical for 20 min before lifting session or going for a run/sprints at lunch. Yes, it is easier, but I just can't help but doubt running/elliptical efficacy no matter what the calorie counter says (I can rape ~ 275 calories in 20 min from the elliptical at my current weight and cranking my HR to ~ 170-200 range).

My third goal is to IF 5 days a week. But I am not doing macros because I find it too much trouble & the easy ways with whey and jellos does not appeal.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-15-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm not heatseeker, but I tried the SLD and read about it extensively. I think the consensus is that it works by suppressing appetite. It never worked for me though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Same here in regards to the SDL. My appetite is unsupressible.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Yeah, I got that impression with SL diet. The theory is that it tricks the body into resetting the metabolism though, right? But it just seems like people eat less on it. My appetite is unsuppressible too

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    YB, first of all good luck!!!

Basically, I try to take to heart the wise words of bb.com saying that women tend to try to cut too soon. So, I will not cut till I see that deltoid pop. Which I hope to get this year. or next year. I intend to live a long life.

From the multitude of cardio things I have done, I feel that swimming, step and boxing against the bag are the most effective. Running ruins my feet and knees. The problem with all three most effective things is that they require more time and equipment. My second fitness goal this year is to get myself to do these instead of simply jumping on the elliptical for 20 min before lifting session or going for a run/sprints at lunch. Yes, it is easier, but I just can't help but doubt running/elliptical efficacy no matter what the calorie counter says (I can rape ~ 275 calories in 20 min from the elliptical at my current weight and cranking my HR to ~ 170-200 range).
    Thanks Leida! Here we are again

But yeah, would you recommend doing a bulk and cut? I'm not exactly bulking now... I'm actually cutting my calories by maybe 200-300, but I seem to build muscle quite easily, so I am seeing gains there. My upper abs look pretty good

I know a lot of people are anti-running, but I honestly see great improvements to my ass and thighs whenever I sprint. I'm running maybe 3 times a week atm, but only for about 20 mins. I agree with you about the swimming; it's just a pain to get into the pool more than twice a week. Aaaand - I finally started lifting! I went to one of those classes at the gym: I nearly died, but it was fantastic! Have so much respect for cross fitters now...

- Ray Peat

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    The SLD supposedly tricks your body fat set point, not your metabolism. Essentially, by doing flavorless oil shots, your body finds itself with extra energy that it can't account for, goes, "Heyo, we're getting more than we need!", and suppresses hunger while allowing the body to let go of fat stores that it doesn't need. Or at least, that's how it makes sense in my brain. You'd probably get a much better idea of it by reading Seth Roberts' book. I honestly don't know exactly how it works; all I know is that it does work. Extremely well. When nothing else did. I said before in the SLD thread that, for me, calorie restriction alone = no fat loss, calorie restriction + oil shots = fat loss. It's definitely my personal silver bullet.

When I say "eating to build strength", I basically mean following the prescription of the Eat to Perform blog: eating at my TDEE (2200 calories per day) and carb backloading before heavy lifting days (I suppose that's technically "carb frontloading"). This method works extremely well for me in improving strength and performance (my metcons also go through the roof), but unfortunately I've never been able to make it work the way the ETP guys say it should--as in, they say it should keep you lean, but it makes me pack on fat alongside the muscle. Right now my habit is to do 3 or 4 weeks of ETP, build muscle, then 2 or 3 weeks of SLD (during which I eat 1500cal per day, including oil shots) to cut the fat back, and just alternate, depending on my goals. I'm still tweaking, though, so I switch things up quite a bit.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    53 days for me.

Start wt = 175. This morning wt = 163. If the past is any guide, plateau will likely occur in the 155 - 160 range, which is fine. Over the course of this transition there have been a couple of small plateaus that held briefly then everything started downward again with no special effort on my part. Nasty carb flu on night #3 and most of day #4 but that was it.

Maybe I'm lucky because fat loss/muscle gain is happening just by basic PB eating and basic PB fitness. Lots of belt line flab is gone, already, and zero food cravings.

Getting ready to switch down to 32 jeans from 33. No real BF% goal here, just comfortably getting into 32's straight out of the clothes dryer will be the major indicator of success.

Best of luck in your efforts.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    And how long did it take you to get here?!

In the last few weeks I've begun a fitness programme that consists of sprinting / interval running / pilates / lifting / cycling / swimming. I'm exercising most days, and cycling calories (on average eating 2K a day.) I'm definitely noticing more muscle forming on my body, and specific parts are becoming more sculpted, but I'm not losing inches.

Are you ripped / on the road to it, and if so, how did the process go for you? Did you build muscle / lose fat first? Was losing fat a calculated effort, or did it just happen when you started exercising more?
    I started lifting last October. It's July now, so 9 months.

Starting lifts:
    Squat: 45lbs
    Bench: 30lbs
    Press: 20lbs
    Deadlift: 30lbs

Max:
    Squat: 130lbs
    Bench: 82.5lbs
    Press: 62.5lbs
    Deadlift: 165lbs

I also have been sprinting. It was sporadic well before last October and at some point when the weights I was lifting became taxing, I quit sprinting. I have recently switched over to intervals on an exercise bike and have been doing it once a week for over a month. So far these don't do anything other than wear me out.

I wear the same clothes. I am the same size. My hiking tank top is really tight around my shoulders and boobs but is loose on my belly. It used to get tight on my belly if I gained any weight. A lot of my other t-shirts are tight in the shoulders. I can see the lumpiness of muscles on my belly and in the right light, you might see it too. It feels firmer but it's still a blubbery mess. My back is noticeably different. Other people have noticed it is more muscular. I can sometimes see muscles moving in my upper arms which otherwise are one of the most enormously embarrassing parts of my body. I have not weighed myself in a year but I might weigh myself before next Monday so I can know whether or not my next squats are bodyweight or not. Other than that, I believe I have pretty much the same amount of fat as before but I have no objective number to offer. Just that I wear the same clothes as I have always worn.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3