Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to gain weight primally? page

rpm33 is offline Junior Member

How to gain weight primally?

Primal Fuel
    Hey All,

If there's a thread for this already, I could not find it, so feel feel to post the link to it in here and close this topic if needed.

I am a guy, about 6 foot 5 or 6 foot 6, and I weight 185 pounds. I would like to get up to about 200 pounds.

My questions are:

What foods do you find the best for weight gain?

Please keep in mind I can only eat so much meat a day without getting queasy - so doing a pound of bacon every day for a month is not an option for me.

I do eat dairy, as it doesn't bother me to my knowledge, and I always buy organic/pastured.

I ask this as I find it difficult to get the extra calories with NO grains in the diet and without excessive (to my standards) consumptions of meat.

Should I just go crazy on the paleo desserts for a couple months?

I was also thinking macadamia nuts - they have a perfect omega ratio (low in 6), and I don't think they have to be soaked like almonds do.

ANY suggestions are appreciated - again, to sum it up:

Looking for calorie dense primal foods/snacks to help gain a little weight. Meat's not an option as I eat enough of it already and would gag if I had to eat more.

Thanks!

I also eat omelettes often for dinner, so I don't want to snack on them if possible.

So, without being too picky here, looking for tips that are not meat and not eggs!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You really need to find a way to do these things:

1. You need to eat more protein. Bacon is very fatty. It's not a great source of protein. Meat, eggs, poultry, and seafood can be good sources of protein.
    2. Eat more calories. Eat more starchy vegetables, like potatoes and other root vegetables. Macadamia nuts will help you pack on the calories.
    3. Do strength exercise so your body will try to build muscle.
    4. Have desserts on occasion.

Thanks, Katherine. Re: starchy vegetables - I forgot sweet potatoes are good for this. Can always roast a big-assed side of them with some butter or coconut oil and sea salt.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Calorically dense foods. Snack on them. Nuts, nut butters, cheese. Fry everything you can.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Finish each meal with a generous slice of butter dunked in honey. Then have another few spoons of honey for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    Finish each meal with a generous slice of butter dunked in honey. Then have another few spoons of honey for good measure.
    Thanks. I forget honey is calorie-dense and carb-ey and ultimately good for you.

I appreciate all the suggestions... they may seem obvious, but you'd be surprised how much I blank out on this stuff.

So I am gonna:

Up the white and sweet potato portions with dinner.

Add a couple spoonfuls of honey into my daily intake.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Do you lift? Follow a solid strength training program and decrease the cardio activities. Caloric surplus of 500 a day. 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. 2g of carbs per lb of bodyweight. Lots of healthy fats
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Don't be carbophobic, eat a lot of protein, constantly consume calorically dense foods. If you're not making progress, up the calories. Keep it simple.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Kakti is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    umm, yea... more calories. That being said I personally find lot's of protein to be not quite the best option; since it's the most filling, doesn't get stored as fat as easily as carbs or fat, and is only part of the equation when it comes to muscle synthesis.

Take my suggestion with a grain of salt as I don't have a whole lot of experience trying to effortly gain weight. Though if I were to try I would consume "just eneough protein" lot's of carbs and fat with minimal fiber and fluids. First consume lot's of starch since it's mostly all glucose and will do a better job at inhibiting fat oxidation compated to fructose, then lot's of fat on top of it.

Lots of saturated fats and cholesterol along with vitamin D for good muscle synthesis. Among other things...

Assuming you can trust everything you read.

-Kakti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast