Thread: PMS meals for husband to cook and shop? page

ayumi is offline Member

PMS meals for husband to cook and shop?

Primal Fuel
    If this is TMI, here's some http://icanhas.cheezburger.comkittens.

I tend to have issues before Aunt Flo comes to visit. It's bad enough that I can't drive -- my brain is unable to focus and filter things in time.

For that reason, my husband tends to do more of the shopping and cooking the week before. He has some physical limitations with what he can do, so meals are on the simple side.

Unfortunately what he does know involves a lot of smoothies, GF cereal, and hamburgers. I feel stuck with the options and end up eating the sugary stuff. It makes things worse.

Do you all have some ideas on simple things that my husband can shop for and cook during that time? (Something other than salad would help, as the salad greens here have been icky lately.)

What do you do to lessen Aunt Flo's impact?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    roast a bunch of chicken legs. hard-boil eggs. make crustless quiche. cook big hunks of meat in the slow-cooker or a dutch oven. pre-chop carrots/celery/cukes/daikon for quick salads. make big batches of meatballs.

do you eat dairy? stock up on good yogurt and frozen berries (or fresh if in-season for you.)

make chicken liver pate, portion and freeze.

basically? batch-cook stuff you like and freeze it so he doesn't have to deal at the last minute since his skills seem pretty minimal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I recommend getting a crock pot. You can throw many different things in with minimal effort and it comes out tasty. Beef, potatoes, carrots, stock, etc. so easy. Soups, chili, rice... The possibilities are endless.

Magnesium and retinol (vitamin a) for aunt flo. Those are known to help.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Get him a cook book & make him read it & pick out things that appeal to both of you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Get him a cook book & make him read it & pick out things that appeal to both of you.
    maybe he has zero interest in learning how to cook? can't she be self-sufficient and stock the freezer and fridge?? i get that she's laid low for a few days, but not weeks at a time.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    maybe he has zero interest in learning how to cook? can't she be self-sufficient and stock the freezer and fridge?? i get that she's laid low for a few days, but not weeks at a time.
    I was making assumptions based on my own relationship, since I know nothing about hers. Since she presented it in such a way that it sounded like the plan was to have him cook, that is what I suggested. Pre-preparing some meals that he can heat up for them is a good idea, however.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I was making assumptions based on my own relationship, since I know nothing about hers.
    my b/f's basic repertoire is any kind of bread toasted or made into a ham sandwich, so i'd mostly rather not eat than be at his mercy.

– Ernest Hemingway

ayumi is offline Member
    My husband is blind. Just giving him a cookbook is not going to work -- he wants things to be as simple as possible as most things we take for granted are difficult for him. At the same time I can't be a superwife -- we need to work together, especially when things happen that we can't control.

Anyway, thank you all for your ideas! I'll keep the notes from this discussion and track down more paleo crockpot recipes. We'll see what we can plan for next time!