Thread: gassiness in breastfed baby after switching to primal? page

2babies2kidsmom is offline Junior Member

gassiness in breastfed baby after switching to primal?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently (as in, a few days ago), switched back to eating primally after eating SAD most of my pregnancy. I was hoping to alleviate my twin babies' gassiness (they are 2 months old). They do seem to be feeling a little better overall, but my daughter has started passing gas alot more, and she seems really uncomfortable doing so. She seems to be straining to push it out. Also she has not had a BM in 2 days. Will this go away in a few weeks? I haven't completely cut out cow's milk, but I only drink about 1/2 cup a day in my morning decaf coffee. Should I just cut it out completely? I feel so sorry for her and also frustrated because I am trying to do right by her but it's not working!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yes, cut out dairy and any grains completely for a couple of weeks and see how they do. Unfortunately, this is very common.

Bekki is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2babies2kidsmom View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently (as in, a few days ago), switched back to eating primally after eating SAD most of my pregnancy. I was hoping to alleviate my twin babies' gassiness (they are 2 months old). They do seem to be feeling a little better overall, but my daughter has started passing gas alot more, and she seems really uncomfortable doing so. She seems to be straining to push it out. Also she has not had a BM in 2 days. Will this go away in a few weeks? I haven't completely cut out cow's milk, but I only drink about 1/2 cup a day in my morning decaf coffee. Should I just cut it out completely? I feel so sorry for her and also frustrated because I am trying to do right by her but it's not working!
    Dairy is one of the leading causes of gassiness in breastfed babies, so it could be that. Definitely cut out dairy, and see how it goes. Just keep in mind that it takes two weeks for the gas-causing components of dairy to leave your system. Don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Keep track of what vegetables you eat, compared to the gassiness and restlessness/bad sleep of your daughter.

I found if I ate any brassica - the worst was cabbage - My babies reacted terribly the next day.

Good luck. It might not be the dairy - but a vegetable you are eating...

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    My babies hated broccoli and chocolate! And dairy...and dairy is in a lot of pre-packaged food under a lot of names. Just keep nursing though because that is the best food your babies! And it is common for purely breastfed babies to go days, even two weeks, without crapping. After awhile mine would go once a week....or every third day
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.