Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with teens and carbs? page 2

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    I see low carb more as a prescription for fixing a busted metabolism. If you have a functional metabolism, carbs are not an issue as long as you're getting them from safe sources.

Not trying to hijack the thread.... but, I hear the busted/broken metabolism phrase a lot.... how does one know if they have a broken metabolism? Thanks!!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread.... but, I hear the busted/broken metabolism phrase a lot.... how does one know if they have a broken metabolism? Thanks!!
    The mirror test .

As for adults having any of these markers for metabolic syndrome are for starters:

http://www.ada-diabetes-management.c...c-Syndrome.png

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tibofox View Post
    Hey, I'm a "growing" teen myself, and while researching low carb etc, i stumbled across things saying growing teens shouldn't fast, and should eat enough carbs to allow proper growth.
    It got me thinking that Grok jr. probably fasted a lot (as much as papa Grok) and maybe in some situations did not eat carbs for weeks, i don't know. But according to findings, that musn't of stopped him from growing to 6 feet tall!
    So whats the verdict? Is low carb/IF ACTUALLY bad for teens or is this just CW BS?
    Teens can fast just fine. Grazing is not a good way to eat. Teens should eat a lot of food vs a grown man/woman of the same height/weight. Teens should not restrict their carbohydrate intake unless they have a really specific medical reason to. Let them eat carbs, just pick healthy sources.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Same as Neckhammer, I used to be a competitive athlete in a sport with weight categories(Judo), and I could be dieting for weeks from the age of 10. I often did not eat breakfast and my first meal was usually when I came home from school at 3 - 4 pm. I also skipped the last meal at night. My first weight category that I had to diet for was below 88 pound, then followed 99 pound, all the way up to the below 208 pound category at the age of 18! Did it hurt me in some manners? I don't think so, my height was 187 cm (6,2) already at the age of 15 and I was very skinny at that time and below 150 pound. I have speculated whether the dieting maybe produced more growth hormones, since I turned out to be taller than the rest of my family...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I was a wrestler and making weight as a teen required frequent 2-3 day fasts, but always followed by a hefty re-feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Same as Neckhammer, I used to be a competitive athlete in a sport with weight categories(Judo), and I could be dieting for weeks from the age of 10.
    I've always heard about this kind of weight management in wrestling but I don't understand it. What is the purpose of it?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicholas View Post
    I've always heard about this kind of weight management in wrestling but I don't understand it. What is the purpose of it?
    The purpose of weight categories? Fairness maybe... In my case I had to decide my weight category months before the competition and if not making the weight category I would have been disqualificated from competition! The reason behind dieting down is because much of it will be waterweight and after weight-in in the morning you'll re-gain waterweight and compete with more body weight than earlier the same day...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Everyone wants to fight in the lowest weight class possible. Strip yourself of all your water weight, gylcogen weight and as much fat as you can as quickly as possible, then put it all back. Fasting for 2 days followed by heavy depletion-style workouts (to burn glycogen) can easily strip 10 lbs in "weight" very quickly to get you in a low weight class. Then, simply carbing up and rehydrating tacks all that weight back on. If you didn't do this, you'd be fighting people 10 lbs heavier. F that!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Everyone wants to fight in the lowest weight class possible. Strip yourself of all your water weight, gylcogen weight and as much fat as you can as quickly as possible, then put it all back. Fasting for 2 days followed by heavy depletion-style workouts (to burn glycogen) can easily strip 10 lbs in "weight" very quickly to get you in a low weight class. Then, simply carbing up and rehydrating tacks all that weight back on. If you didn't do this, you'd be fighting people 10 lbs heavier. F that!
    If everyone is doing that does it really mean anything as far as competitive advantage? Does 10 lbs really make a difference compared to if you trained for maximum strength or endurance while your competitors were playing games with the scales?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If everyone is doing that does it really mean anything as far as competitive advantage? Does 10 lbs really make a difference compared to if you trained for maximum strength or endurance while your competitors were playing games with the scales?
    Ten pounds of muscle makes quite a difference.... And thats what this really boils down to.

They are training AND playing games with the scales
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-15-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one who keeps imagining the title read in Jerry Seinfeld's voice?
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast