Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - Has anyone else tried THE FAST DIET? page

berra is offline Junior Member

Intermittent Fasting - Has anyone else tried THE FAST DIET?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys!

I would like to use this forum to discuss how those who like to IF go about doing it...

Personally, I got onto it before I read the PB, which was about 2 months ago.

Previously, I used to stop eating at 8pm and break my fast the next day at 12 noon. Fasting period: 16 hours

Currently, I have gotten really strict and start fasting before 6pm (but I almost always stop eating before hand at about 5pm) and break my fast (after a fasted workout session which consists of 40mins cardio and some weight training) at around 1pm. So this gives me an eating window of 5 hours and a fasting period of 19 hours. Sometimes I have 1 meal and sometimes I have 2 within the 5 hours.

I have about 2kg of vanity weight to lose, because I'm really stubborn and don't understand why I can't seem to reach my goal weight of 58kg because I am such a vigorous exerciser and super clean eater!

Me:

24 year old female
    4 days of training at the gym + 1 day of basketball/week
    I eat less than 50g carbs for about 5-6 days of the week and 1-2 days I eat between 50-100g of carbs.

As I was doing some research on intermittent fasting (because I've been doing it for so long and the scales wouldn't budge), I came across Dr Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer's book 'The Fast Diet' and read it in 1.5 days. Mosley and Spencer talk about the 5:2 IF method, which pretty much means you eat WHATEVER you want for 5 days and then on 2 non-consecutive days you're meant to eat 1/4 of your daily calories: men eat 600cals and women eat a total of 500cals.

This method supposedly works (they talk extensively about the several tests conducted on rodents) because people find it easy to limit calories on fasting days because the thought of 'I can eat it tomorrow' allows them to push on. You're obviously not meant to overindulge on non-fast days.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, because the idea of eating WHATEVER I want is a bit scary. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to eat anything, especially carbs, because I've been a 'clean'/'non-carb' eater for many years now, but the thought of being able to enjoy a few more pieces of dark chocolate, baked sweet potatoes/regular potatoes seem so enticing.

I know however that I won't be able to enjoy non-fast days because a year ago, I would do IF and then have a cheat day/week (which I later reduced to a cheat meal/week) and I would try to eat some pasta/dessert and my stomach couldn't handle it, but I'm thinking my body may need this new change/shock. I just want to lose the last 2kg, and really, the scale does not budge! Yes I know, the figures on the scale are pointless numbers, and yes, I do feel amazing, but it's just me being stubborn and wanting to finally get to that number after so many years of hard work!

How do you IF? What do you think I may be doing wrong? How can I achieve faster results? Any advice would be appreciated!!

timbojames is offline Junior Member
    Hey Berra,

Glad to see you're interested in Intermittent Fasting. I've personally been doing Intermittent Fasting for 3 years now and it's become a way of life for me.

The thing with intermittent fasting is that it isn't a diet per se. Its just a framework of when to eat, not what to eat or how much.

So you can do paleo, low-carb all with-in Intermittent Fasting.

Intermittent Fasting is a very individual thing when it comes to females. I know if people who have no problems with and others that it has ruined their metabolism, hormones, etc.

Here are my thoughts and recommendations:

Questions
    1. What are your sleep patterns like? How many hours? Do you wake up? Easier or hard to get sleep?
    2. What are your stress levels like?

Recommendations
    - 16 / 8 fast 5-6 days of the week
    - 1-2 days of the week have 150-200g carbs (sweet potatoes, white rice, jasmin, etc.)
    - 2-3 litres of water a day
    - 8 hours of sleep per day
    - 10g BCAA before weight training

Don't go too crazy at first, implement things slow and see how you go.

Any questions, let me know

berra is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timbojames View Post
    Hey Berra,

Glad to see you're interested in Intermittent Fasting. I've personally been doing Intermittent Fasting for 3 years now and it's become a way of life for me.

The thing with intermittent fasting is that it isn't a diet per se. Its just a framework of when to eat, not what to eat or how much.

So you can do paleo, low-carb all with-in Intermittent Fasting.

Intermittent Fasting is a very individual thing when it comes to females. I know if people who have no problems with and others that it has ruined their metabolism, hormones, etc.

Here are my thoughts and recommendations:

Questions
    1. What are your sleep patterns like? How many hours? Do you wake up? Easier or hard to get sleep?
    2. What are your stress levels like?

Recommendations
    - 16 / 8 fast 5-6 days of the week
    - 1-2 days of the week have 150-200g carbs (sweet potatoes, white rice, jasmin, etc.)
    - 2-3 litres of water a day
    - 8 hours of sleep per day
    - 10g BCAA before weight training

Don't go too crazy at first, implement things slow and see how you go.

Any questions, let me know
    Thanks for that!! I've actually been doing IF for a year now but have been a 'clean eater' and exerciser for about 3 years. So it has become a way of life for me too, but just wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

I sleep very well. Get exactly 8 hours in and always wake up before my alarm.

Im not too stressed out. I've always been a thinker, but stress levels are fine

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    I have done it for last 4-6 months 7 days a week. But decided to only do it on non workout days.

For my experience its Pretty easy.
    I think for it to be more beneficial you need to have low stress & good hormone balance.

London

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Vanity weight loss might not be what your body needs. I have the same problem, too. Same amount of weight and everything. Personally, I think it will be healthier for me to accept my 'set point' weight instead of forcing it. The only way I've ever been able to get down to that best weight I have locked in my psyche is when I get sick. It happens maybe once a year at most. I get down those last 2kg and I think "This is where I will stay". It NEVER works.

My other option is to have the excess fat sucked out of my legs and butt. That is where I store those stubborn 2kg. Not going to do that. There are many, many women out there who are 5'3" and 110-115lbs but I guess it just isn't going to be me! I'm certain 99% of the world has no idea I weigh 118-120lbs at any given time, nor would they be appalled if they found out...

~P (I need to practice what I preach!)

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I think that "The Fast Diet" was someone's attempt at making IF palatable to the masses. I think it is likely very effective for someone that is quite overweight, because just about any non-retarded diet will do that....

With that said, what you are talking about is shredding, not simply losing fat. In my experience, going from 20% to 10% is one set of recommendations, but going from 10% to 6% is another. (I am speaking for a male. Those levels would be unhealthy and gross looking on a woman). I think that there are women on here that know more on how to female-shred than I do, so they will handle that....but I think that the Fast Diet is likely vastly inferior to what you currently do.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berra View Post
    Me:

24 year old female
    4 days of training at the gym + 1 day of basketball/week
    I eat less than 50g carbs for about 5-6 days of the week and 1-2 days I eat between 50-100g of carbs.[/B]

I'm not sure how I feel about this, because the idea of eating WHATEVER I want is a bit scary. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to eat anything, especially carbs, because I've been a 'clean'/'non-carb' eater for many years now, but the thought of being able to enjoy a few more pieces of dark chocolate, baked sweet potatoes/regular potatoes seem so enticing.
    Sound likes you crave carbs because you restrict so much and yet you are training so much - perhaps a bit of rice and potato isn't a bad thing.

Eating whatever you want isn't really going to work in practice ( and not healthy) - nice sales pitch though.

Quote Originally Posted by berra View Post
    . I just want to lose the last 2kg, and really, the scale does not budge! Yes I know, the figures on the scale are pointless numbers, and yes, I do feel amazing, but it's just me being stubborn and wanting to finally get to that number after so many years of hard work!

So you see body excess body fat?
    Clothes don't fit as they should?

What's so important about the number 56?

You realise gym work may actually have deposited some muscle - muscle makes the scale show a higher number.

Anyway sounds like too much training to me.....

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    And sounds like too much thinking to me.

brokenbones67 is offline Junior Member
    Is chewing sugar free gum during the fast still considered fasting?

Doug

Leida is offline Senior Member
    yes, as long as you are under 50 cals of gum in total during the fasting period.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast