Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intermittent Fasting - Has anyone else tried THE FAST DIET? page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    If your gonna study chronic stress and understand its implications today I recommend looking into theories on allostatic load. Allostatic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, be careful in taking such a rigid definition as to what you think constitutes a stress to the system. Just like metabolism "stress" in terms of systems is a moving target. Perhaps to one person a 24 hr fast every day is a stress.... but its just as likely that there are individual circumstances where eating anything more than 1x/day would be considered even more stressful thus creating a net greater allostatic load.

The theory of reducing manageable stresses to allow better allocation of limited body resources and hence improved health is only practical if we can determine on an individual basis what those stressors really are.

"Four conditions that lead to allostatic load are:
    Repeated frequency of stress responses to multiple novel stressors;
    Failure to habituate to repeated stressors of the same kind;
    Failure to turn off each stress response in a timely manner due to delayed shut down; and
    Inadequate response that leads to compensatory hyperactivity of other mediators."

If you actually analyze each of those four elements you can see how convoluted and individualized monitoring "stress" actually is.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am presently doing Alternate Day Fasting. (There a thread about it on the Nutrition page, that you might like to look at.) It is based on the work of Dr. Johnson, so it is often known as Johnson's Up Day Down Day (JUDDD).

I've had great success with it, but I am looking to lose a big chunk of weight, not the last few pounds. It is also not a quick method. (Average loss is one pound per week.) But it IS very sustainable, and I have found it is very easy to come back from 'slips' using this method. I stick to low-carb primal, but the times I have strayed from it on my Up Days, I am able to get back on track with no difficulty.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    mmm, allow me to disagree. I eat one meal a day and it does not feel like I am stressing my metabolism. If I felt so, I would certainly not have adopted this WOE. However, physical exertion every day would probably "kill" me so I restrict intense workouts to 1 to 2x week with sprints in-between. The rest is slow pace stuff (walking and biking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your gonna study chronic stress and understand its implications today I recommend looking into theories on allostatic load. Allostatic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, be careful in taking such a rigid definition as to what you think constitutes a stress to the system. Just like metabolism "stress" in terms of systems is a moving target. Perhaps to one person a 24 hr fast every day is a stress.... but its just as likely that there are individual circumstances where eating anything more than 1x/day would be considered even more stressful thus creating a net greater allostatic load.
    Exactly. I tried the warrior diet before going primal and failed miserably. Now I eat one meal a day and I would have to stuff in anything more. So the "moving target" NH talks about even moves within one individual.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I got that book. I thought the concept of two fast days a week was good, however I did NOT like the 500 calories. That just feels way too low to me and I have trouble sleeping. But on a fasting day I can usually stay at close to 1,000. I'm quite overweight and I'm finding that this is a useful tactic.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    My definition of stress is not rigid, it is just viewed from a long way out, an overview not many people take. I can apply my stress theories to anything on the planet, rock to human.

In reply, the last part of stress is that both the homeostasis and the damage threshold can be moved in live things. In fact this is what we spend our whole lives trying to do... Bettering our homeostasis and damage thresholds, so we may conquer that stress easier next time. This means that our stress response can be vastly different between people, it depends what we have been exposed to. The 300 lb barbel that would damage (crush) me, causes a strengthening response in a 10 year lifting veteran.
    Although we don't have unlimited capacity for stress handling, at one point we all break.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123