Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: caffeine addiction page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i've been doing that as i may as well be properly ripped off! i actual prefer hot water to most of the herbal teas. i am sorta getting to be ok with a mix of liquorice and lemon and ginger tea. i prefer that to fake coffee coz at least it tastes like it is sposed to. i should really look into some more out of it herbal teas. years ago i used to drink a mix of raspberry leaf, oat straw, nettle, peppermint and red clover i think which i really liked. i am slowly finding my tastes for different drinks is coming back. i should poss google some recipes.
    Have you ever tried rooibos tea? It's really good and has a full bodied flavor unlike a lot of fruity or flowery herbal teas.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    May I ask why you decided to quit caffeine? I've been drinking coffee and caffeinated beverages since around 5 or 6 years old, and 6 cups of coffee is a low amount for me. I've quit for 2 months a few times, personally, I've only noticed negatives to not consuming it myself.
    i think for me it is a fine line. too much caffeine and i get heart palpitations. i also felt i needed to do without it as it really is a drug for me. the redness around my nose and cheeks has pretty much gone since i have stopped the coffee too which i like. that link was interesting as i found it fascinating that i should start to wake up at about 3am and not be able to sleep after i stopped drinking coffee and that apparently that is a liver issue. my plan had been to do 30 days to see how it went so i will reassess.

Have you ever tried rooibos tea? It's really good and has a full bodied flavor unlike a lot of fruity or flowery herbal teas.
    i like rooibos but it needs lots of milk with it. i cant drink it black.

Paleobird Guest
    i think for me it is a fine line. too much caffeine and i get heart palpitations. i also felt i needed to do without it as it really is a drug for me. the redness around my nose and cheeks has pretty much gone since i have stopped the coffee too which i like. that link was interesting as i found it fascinating that i should start to wake up at about 3am and not be able to sleep after i stopped drinking coffee and that apparently that is a liver issue. my plan had been to do 30 days to see how it went so i will reassess.

i like rooibos but it needs lots of milk with it. i cant drink it black.
    Heart palpitations are definitely a sign that something isn't right. I'm so glad you are taking control of your life back from this substance.

Rooibos is also really good with coconut milk if you don't do much dairy.

bumping this to say as of tomorrow, i have made 28 days. woohoo!!!!!! i am also just starting to feel normal again. that cold to the bones feeling has gone and the weather is still horrid and damp cold so it's not anything different there. i am taking 500mg i think of l-tyrosine in the morning and 50mg 5-http in the early evening. i have been doing this about a week or so. last night i actually slept properly. so now i am faced with having made it thru my 28 days what to do now. i dont really want to put myself thru this again. i dont know if i can do moderation. you know 1 cup of coffee on the weekend sort of deal.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sea, that's great! You've gotten through the worst of it and made it to the other side.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    bumping this to say as of tomorrow, i have made 28 days. woohoo!!!!!! i am also just starting to feel normal again. that cold to the bones feeling has gone and the weather is still horrid and damp cold so it's not anything different there. i am taking 500mg i think of l-tyrosine in the morning and 50mg 5-http in the early evening. i have been doing this about a week or so. last night i actually slept properly. so now i am faced with having made it thru my 28 days what to do now. i dont really want to put myself thru this again. i dont know if i can do moderation. you know 1 cup of coffee on the weekend sort of deal.
    Great job, it's definitely no easy feat. I'm a huge caffeine addict at just 20 years old, and a few months ago I stopped drinking coffee cold turkey for two weeks to sort of "reset" my tolerance, and the first few days I literally had to have my roommates peel me off of the floor so I could go to class. Not to mention the massive headaches, lack of concentration in class, and all of the other bad stuff.

But, after about a week and a half, I felt amazing and was sleeping better than ever. It was a joy to go back to coffee though.

Good luck with however you decide to manage your consumption. Caffeine is an addiction just like anything else, and it's tough to snap.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Paleobird Guest
    I have been off caffeine for years and then I was on jury duty. In an attempt to stave off the crushing boredom of all the sitting around in the courthouse I gave in to the enticing smells from the coffee cart. I had one big cup for five days in a row. That Saturday I went for a moderate to easy level hike but all my muscles were screaming out in protest.

Some of us can do caffeine "in moderation", some of us can't.

It was scary to me how quickly the addiction came back.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Being addicted to coffee may help you to stay away from heavier stuff - like cocaine. meth or even diet coke...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Being addicted to coffee may help you to stay away from heavier stuff - like cocaine. meth or even diet coke...
    LMAO i hate coke!!! never have seen the appeal.

and yes i am sure the addiction would come back very quickly if i let it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123