Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a qualification in "Nutrition" page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Getting a qualification in "Nutrition"

Primal Fuel
    I've been thinking of a little career change, and all signs point to doing something with nutrition. I'm partially interested in the interplay between nutrition and the hormones, and the potential for healing eating disorders through woe.

My question is: where would i start to look for a course that didn't just teach CW? Obviously I've got beliefs that are completely incongruous with it, so I would want to do some training that goes deeper. Does anyone know how I could go about this?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    My question is: where would i start to look for a course that didn't just teach CW?
    this is what put me off. the student loan as well put me off big time. but if i was to go for it, i would just find the most respected heavy duty course i could, like a degree in nutrition, and take it from there.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thank you both! Yeah, it seems like it's a bit of a pipe dream... Study something progressive - who do you think you are?

I wish MDA offered degrees
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking at naturopath schools instead of nutritionist ones.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    I mean, once you get your degree, can't you do whatever you want?
    many people are referred to nutritionists by doctors and use health insurance to pay. you cannot be giving "opposite advice" than the doctor. most still tell heart patients and diabetics to eat low-fat and whole grain.

if you can hang out an independent shingle and work on a cash basis, you would have better luck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    The internet offers college courses with transferable credits. I've been looking for such a course in Organic Chemistry which I suppose would be the first course. Haven't found one. Does anyone know.

The naturopath choice might also be a good one.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The problem with getting qualification in nutrition or dietetics is that first, the courses you have to take to get your degree are entirely conventional wisdom, and second, once you graduate, to get certified and stay that way you have to belong to the national organization, which is funded by agribusiness. McDonalds, Burger King, Pepsico, Frito-Lay, you name it. The organization does not encourage nutritional alternatives.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    once you graduate, to get certified and stay that way you have to belong to the national organization, which is funded by agribusiness. McDonalds, Burger King, Pepsico, Frito-Lay, you name it. The organization does not encourage nutritional alternatives.
    i think that depends what country you live in. a parent of one of my kids friends did nutrition and they did alot of A&P and bio chemistry sort of stuff which is what interests me as that is the way you work it all out.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I know some chiropractors specialize in hormones and nutrition, and that field isn't nearly as CW as medical doctors or nutritionists. Personally, I'd avoid the whole academic scene, save money, and do something that you can enjoy with a clear conscience, maybe a blog?? Sucks that you need a certification from a monopoly to allow you to work with people freely. I think many uncertified MDA forum members are more qualified to dispense nutritional advice than most doctors and nutritionists.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    You might be interested in the part of Tim Ferriss's 4-hour workweek where he explores alternative ways to establish professional credibility

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast