Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EFAs and their essentiality page

danhaych is offline Member

EFAs and their essentiality

Primal Fuel
    Some of us have read about the theories that EFAs are not essential and this is posted on people's blogs to. The work that keeps being cited by G & M Burr, keeps being accused of being a flawed study that possibly didn't account for certain B vitamin deficiencies (namely B5 and B6)... After reading their actual study it seems there is a flaw in the theory that the study is flawed. After reading the actual study it clearly says the groups of rats were fed diets containing yeast. Yeast contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 & B6. A deficiency in those vitamins results in the symptoms of an EFA deficiency. So the rats can't have been deficient in those vitamins seems as they were fed yeast...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    In strict semantics they are essential because we can't manufacture them, but that's not the same thing as defining an RDA (depleted uranium is also "essential"). I agree that in free-living humans there seems to be no evidence of polyunsaturate deficiency.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

danhaych is offline Member
    So are you saying you still don't think humans need EFAs? Or that in humans with a normal diet it's impossible to be EFA deficient?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    It seems to me that EFA's are not made by the body, but they are not essential, either. In fact, they seem to stifle the metabolism and the lower your consumption the better.

And the WORST thing you can do is supplement with them. So many of these people popping fish oil are going to have a rude awakening in the future. Remember - the reason why omega 6 is so problematic is because it's so highly prone to rancidity and oxidation. The human body temperature is hotter than what is required to spoil the fats, so substantial intakes of linoleic and arachidonic acids spoil inside the body and cause damage while being oxidized as fuel. SFA intake seems to helps stabilize this, so skewing your SFA:PUFA intake too far to the PUFA spectrum (like in the anti-SFA pro-UFA American culture) can cause metabolic damage. Omega 3 spoils even more easily than omega 6, so supplementing with omega 3 pills is a great way to insure you're consuming lots of highly oxidized trans fats.

LEVELS OF TRANS GEOMETRICAL ISOMERS OF ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS IN SOME UNHYDROGENATED U. S. VEGETABLE OILS - O'KEEFE - 2007 - Journal of Food Lipids - Wiley Online Library

If trans fat levels are as high as 4.2% of total volume in fresh canola and soybean oils sitting on grocery store shelves, fish oil logically would be even higher as it is much more unstable than these seed oils and extracted using the same high-heat processes.

Even if we assume we have to consume omega 3 and omega 6 to survive, it is literally impossible to eat a zero PUFA diet. Fat is in every single food, and PUFA is in every single food that contains fat...so, literally every food on Earth contains PUFA. Do not supplement. Do not eat fish for the sake of getting omega 3's, either. I see too many people choking down fish they don't enjoy just to get omega 3's and balance out some "ratio" that does not exist. If you enjoy fish, eat fresh, wild caught fish. If you don't like fish, don't eat it and rest assured you don't need the omega's.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by danhaych View Post
    So are you saying you still don't think humans need EFAs? Or that in humans with a normal diet it's impossible to be EFA deficient?
    Both.

You don't need them, and it's impossible not to get them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    The way I see it:

1. No previous humans on Earth have significantly and purposely limited their EFA intake. So IMO to do so would go against the very premise of ancestral eating.

2. No previous humans on Earth have significantly refined and swallowed as much O6 seed oil as we do today, so again.... don't do that either.

Really there is much to be said about DHA and the formation of the human brain. A lot of research out there regarding the positive results of having an ample supply. Theories abound in regards to the development of a larger brain in humans also.... Some of those theories postulate that we followed costal supply and thus evolved on a high fish and seafood diet allowing our neural capacity to increase. It also tends to show that it stalled and even shrank since 200,000 years ago and our moving inland. Just saying. I think I'm gonna keep seafood high in my diet.

Oh, for the nerd group Dr. Crawford is the guy you wanna google to find some of the evolutionary underpinnings of DHA and neural development. Skip the aquatic apes theory stuff though. That isn't his. His is that humans followed costal areas during migration and our time of increased brain size. Evidence seems to support him:

“These aquatic foods are really important sources of the long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and docosahexaenoic acid [omega-3 DHA] that are so critical to human brain growth,” said co-author and paleoanthropologist Dr. Brian Richmond. “Finding these foods in the diets of our early ancestors suggests they may have helped to lift constraints on brain size and fuel the evolution of a larger brain.” George Washington University (GWU). Archeologists Discover “Brain Food” in Early Human Ancestors’ Diet. May 28, 2010. Accessed at Archeologists Discover
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    What Neckhammer said.

Choco, I agree about not supplementing extracted fish oil but anyone who is "choking down" their fish just hasn't tried my ginger garlic salmon yet. No choking needed.

Salmon. It's what's for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    What Neckhammer said.

Choco, I agree about not supplementing extracted fish oil but anyone who is "choking down" their fish just hasn't tried my ginger garlic salmon yet. No choking needed.

Salmon. It's what's for dinner.
    I see a lot of people on this forum that doesn't like fish and inquire about a good fish oil supplement. I believe there is no such thing as a good fish oil supplement. For those people that hate fish, just don't eat fish. It won't hurt you. There is no physical requirement for omega 3, and even if in some world there was there is enough trace in other meats, eggs, dairy, etc.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ooo! Could you give just a general idea of the ingredients? I'm making salmon tonight and just bought fresh ginger and fresh garlic. I'm kind of salivating over just the words "ginger garlic salmon".

Sorry for the derail, danhaych.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I see a lot of people on this forum that doesn't like fish and inquire about a good fish oil supplement. I believe there is no such thing as a good fish oil supplement. For those people that hate fish, just don't eat fish. It won't hurt you. There is no physical requirement for omega 3, and even if in some world there was there is enough trace in other meats, eggs, dairy, etc.
    I agree about the supps. I do think NH has a point about seafood being healthy however. People who think they don't like it, IMO, just don't know how to cook it right. They should work on that instead of reaching for a bottle of fish oil pills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast