Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EFAs and their essentiality page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Ooo! Could you give just a general idea of the ingredients? I'm making salmon tonight and just bought fresh ginger and fresh garlic. I'm kind of salivating over just the words "ginger garlic salmon".

Sorry for the derail, danhaych.
    Sure. Take a salmon fillet out of the fridge and give it a good rubdown with .5/.5 mix of crushed ginger and crushed garlic. Let sit until salmon is up to room temp. Cook in a mix of coconut oil and coconut aminos (which taste like soy sauce but not quite as salty). Saute hot and fast making a brown crust on the outside and leaving the inside almost sashimi pink.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree about the supps. I do think NH has a point about seafood being healthy however. People who think they don't like it, IMO, just don't know how to cook it right. They should work on that instead of reaching for a bottle of fish oil pills.
    Yeah, I agree with both of you. No need for fish oil. Hey just like everything else the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Seafood is high in other items generally lacking in a land only based diet. Iodine is probably the biggest known one, but its also relatively high in selenium, vitamin D, and B12.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Oh dear god, the recipe sounds amazing. The crust part especially. Thank you!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree about the supps. I do think NH has a point about seafood being healthy however. People who think they don't like it, IMO, just don't know how to cook it right. They should work on that instead of reaching for a bottle of fish oil pills.
    My grandmother is a huge seafood fan. She loves shrimp, crabs, scallops and whitefish like tilapia and flounder. She doesn't like salmon, bluefish, tuna, mackerel or any of those "fishy" fish. I happen to enjoy all seafood without discrimination. My dad, however, doesn't like any of it. The texture is the biggest turnoff. I don't get it, but some people just truly don't like it. And I think that's fine. Seafood is generally healthy, I think it's delicious but completely unnecessary for health.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The b12 in yeast is not the b12 in meat, so is that true for the other B vitamins?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My grandmother is a huge seafood fan. She loves shrimp, crabs, scallops and whitefish like tilapia and flounder. She doesn't like salmon, bluefish, tuna, mackerel or any of those "fishy" fish. I happen to enjoy all seafood without discrimination. My dad, however, doesn't like any of it. The texture is the biggest turnoff. I don't get it, but some people just truly don't like it. And I think that's fine. Seafood is generally healthy, I think it's delicious but completely unnecessary for health.
    I do think it's good to change up your protein sources both for the sake of not getting bored and for the sake of broad spectrum nutrient gathering. Some people have a bad experience with badly cooked fish early in life and then just close off their minds to it permanently. (Like school cafeteria fish sticks.) Seems rather a waste to me.

danhaych is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    The b12 in yeast is not the b12 in meat, so is that true for the other B vitamins?
    I didn't think yeast had B12 at all. Just going by what nutritiondata.com says.

Both.

You don't need them, and it's impossible not to get them.
    Hope I don't get spears thrown at me for this...

What about the eicosanoids produced from EPA and AA? A diet of only saturated fat apparently favours AA's prostaglandins. Supplementing with omega 3 apparently utilises more of the delta 5 desaturase enzymes so that we don't enter a state where only the 2 & 4 series prostaglandins are produced (pro-inflammatory). If we have some of the D5D being used to produce some of the 3 series PGs (less inflammatory) from EPA it apparently helps to make sure acute inflammation doesn't become chronic. I mean there's plenty of science that shows EFAs are beneficial for this disease and that disease... If they really were that bad I think there would be more evidence other than what a few bloggers express as their opinion (no offence). It just sounds like you've adopted this radical opinion that EFAs are bad and you're trying to hold on to it. First it was the "flawed" Burr study (not accounting for B5 & B6 deficiency that was being used to reinforce "EFAs are bad", clearly they were wrong as I said in my first post... I think I'm guna lean more towards what the majority of the science says unless MORE people can provide proof not just the usual 2 people (choco and paleobird), again not wishing to offend, they provide a lot of interesting info but it seems whenever something big is discussed on this forum it's always only those 2 that chime in with their opinion but not many others... If EFAs are so bad why do you eat meat and nuts? they contain PUFAs that are going "oxidize" in our warm bodies. I guess when I consider I've had an inflammatory problem between one or 2 of my ribs and sternum that started as acute in November 2012 when I stretched and something in my chest went click followed by pain, since then it hasn't gone away and has become chronic despite being pro paleo/anti PUFA & EFA since March. Maybe strictly paleo with sat. fat, no PUFA isn't working as well in me as others.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for this thread. Decision made, from this point forward I'm ditching any fish/krill oils and getting my goodness from seafood, which I love.

Sweet, slowly all my supps have been ditched.. the only one I'm taking now is a Mag glycinate

Much appreciation

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danhaych View Post
    I didn't think yeast had B12 at all. Just going by what nutritiondata.com says.

Hope I don't get spears thrown at me for this...

What about the eicosanoids produced from EPA and AA? A diet of only saturated fat apparently favours AA's prostaglandins. Supplementing with omega 3 apparently utilises more of the delta 5 desaturase enzymes so that we don't enter a state where only the 2 & 4 series prostaglandins are produced (pro-inflammatory). If we have some of the D5D being used to produce some of the 3 series PGs (less inflammatory) from EPA it apparently helps to make sure acute inflammation doesn't become chronic. I mean there's plenty of science that shows EFAs are beneficial for this disease and that disease... If they really were that bad I think there would be more evidence other than what a few bloggers express as their opinion (no offence). It just sounds like you've adopted this radical opinion that EFAs are bad and you're trying to hold on to it. First it was the "flawed" Burr study (not accounting for B5 & B6 deficiency that was being used to reinforce "EFAs are bad", clearly they were wrong as I said in my first post... I think I'm guna lean more towards what the majority of the science says unless MORE people can provide proof not just the usual 2 people (choco and paleobird), again not wishing to offend, they provide a lot of interesting info but it seems whenever something big is discussed on this forum it's always only those 2 that chime in with their opinion but not many others... If EFAs are so bad why do you eat meat and nuts? they contain PUFAs that are going "oxidize" in our warm bodies. I guess when I consider I've had an inflammatory problem between one or 2 of my ribs and sternum that started as acute in November 2012 when I stretched and something in my chest went click followed by pain, since then it hasn't gone away and has become chronic despite being pro paleo/anti PUFA & EFA since March. Maybe strictly paleo with sat. fat, no PUFA isn't working as well in me as others.
    The B-12 in yeast is added to make vegans less likely to keel over from a deficiency.

I think you misunderstood Choco. He wasn't saying that naturally occurring PUFAs are bad (although he does go a bit far on the nut phobia at times). His post was about not taking the extracted form in a pill. The Peatarians do go a bit far in demonizing any and all PUFA, IMO. They do the same thing they accuse LC eaters of doing, demonizing a sweet potato in the same category as a twinkie. A piece of fish and some nuts do not belong in the same category as soybean oil.

danhaych is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So many of these people popping fish oil are going to have a rude awakening in the future. Remember - the reason why omega 6 is so problematic is because it's so highly prone to rancidity and oxidation.
    The term "oxidized" keeps being used as the reason supp. PUFA 3 & 6 oils are bad. But, now I'm not a biochemist or anything, just a student studying but it seems, if I've understood correctly there is another area of research about these oils aside from the pro-inflam eicosanoids from AA and the less-inflam eicosanoids from EPA and they are referred to as isoprostanes and I think isoPs from AA according to this article equals BAD but the isoPs from EPA down regulate the former and equals GOOD. These isoprostanes (F2 from AA and F3 from EPA) are not produced via the cyclooxygenase pathway but from "free radical oxidation" of the substrates. So maybe all this talk about these oils being so susceptible to oxidation is beside the point except in the case if the diet is mainly composed of AA producing foods. Free radical oxidation of EPA may better.

The above article and also this article from this year might be worth a read, but a little difficult to understand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast