Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brown recluse spider bites... any ideas? page 2

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ended up doing a crazy amount of research into this, and I'm almost positive I misidentified the bite. Not only is the bite (or lesion) getting better very quickly, legitimate brown recluses only inhabit the very northwestern corner of Florida, which I am nowhere near. Other similarly venomous spiders (such as the hobo spider) do not inhabit Florida at all. Some links for anyone who's interested:

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse
    Spider Myths: Home
    Brown Recluse Spider, Probably Not!! - Florida Pest Control
    brown recluse spider - Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch and Mulaik

I'm still keeping an eye on the area (on my hand, actually), and if anything too iffy happens, I know where to go, haha! Might have been a little over the top to post this, but hey, I just learned a lot of potentially useful stuff. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on the subject, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've actually been interested in for a while now.

Thanks for all the input by the way! Good suggestion about Benadryl, I'd never heard of that.
    Last edited by tarek; 07-14-2013 at 02:42 AM.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I ended up doing a crazy amount of research into this, and I'm almost positive I misidentified the bite. Not only is the bite (or lesion) getting better very quickly, legitimate brown recluses only inhabit the very northwestern corner of Florida, which I am nowhere near. Other similarly venomous spiders (such as the hobo spider) do not inhabit Florida at all. Some links for anyone who's interested:

I'm still keeping an eye on the area (on my hand, actually), and if anything too iffy happens, I know where to go, haha! Might have been a little over the top to post this, but hey, I just learned a lot of potentially useful stuff. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on the subject, I'd love to hear it. This is something I've actually been interested in for a while now.

Thanks for all the input by the way! Good suggestion about Benadryl, I'd never heard of that.
    Omg. Seriously? Way to be dramatic and not in a good or admirable way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post

Sorry?

My intent wasn't to be dramatic. I had a legitimate concern; I took it here because I've been using this forum for a good while and I trust this community to give good advice. I felt the need to take some caution, but my gut told me to sleep on it and go to the ER in the morning if it worsened or did not improve. Fortunately, after sleeping, it has healed up nicely. I have no idea what caused it.

Again, my apologies if this came off as a false alarm. I am very sorry if I raised some concern or upset anyone here. That definitely wasn't my intent when I made this thread.
    Last edited by tarek; 07-14-2013 at 03:13 AM.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I'm glad you seem to be ok. I would love to click on your links but they might have pics of spiders in them. I seriously cannot look at photos of spiders!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Paleobird Guest
    <snort> First of all, if you're going to accuse someone of being overly dramatic, staring off with "OMG! Seriously?" might not be the best way.

Tarek isn't like that. He had a legitimate concern, it turned out to be fine, and he ended up giving the forum the benefit of all his research in case anyone else is in the same spot in the future. Thanks, Tarek. And we're glad you're OK.

Who put a burr in your beach blanket anyway?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post

Glad to hear that you are healing up. My friend who was bitten was in Missouri - so perhaps it was not a real brown recluse? A family member perhaps?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member

Good grief. There was nothing dramatic at all about his post. I've seen you go on the attack on a few forum members now over nothing. Is there a reason for that?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Glad to hear that you are healing up. My friend who was bitten was in Missouri - so perhaps it was not a real brown recluse? A family member perhaps?
    My daughter lives in Missouri, and she and her husband see them all the time.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Glad to hear you're okay. My FIL lost the tip of a finger due to a spider bite, he never saw the spider and didn't get it attended to right away.

As for home remedies to fight infections I highly recommend raw honey. My brother had an infection on his toe for months (he's diabetic) he kept taking antibiotics that the doctors gave him finally, he decided he had nothing to lose so he tried some of my raw honey and w/in days he saw an improvement, it's all healed now. If I could just get him to listen to me regarding his diet....
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    As someone who grew up in brown recluse territory and knows several people who have been bitten, if you get bitten go to the ER. ASAP. Seriously.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast