Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Love the Paleo way of eating and fitness, but not the Bro-Scientists? page

Paleo Goth is offline Member

Love the Paleo way of eating and fitness, but not the Bro-Scientists?

Shop Now
    Love the Paleo way of eating and fitness, but not the Bro-Scientists?
    I think the machismo and cockiness turns many women away from paleo, and that's a shame. What can I say/do to compel my female friends to try paleo (since most of them think paleo is something for arrogant Cross-fit guys)?
    Last edited by Paleo Goth; 07-13-2013 at 07:01 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Your point?

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    It's a question.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Paleo Goth I understand what you are referring to. I'm a middle aged female, artist, not really athletic; my friends are similar and the only other paleo people they've encountered have been similar to what you described. Needless to say none of my friends have given paleo an honest try, some have tried what I call pseudo paleo and have given up saying it's too hard. I've stopped talking to them about it; if my improved health and the tasty food I make won't convince them I don't know what will.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Urban Forager. Friends and family that are interested get my elevator speech but I don't try to convince anyone. Well...I did send It Starts With Food to my brother's Kindle, but I claimed innocence. :0)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by oceangrl; 07-14-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    You could always point them toward the Dr. Oz segment on paleo. It was kind of "paleo lite" IMO but a good starting point.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I would tell them that in general, if they let the arrogant males that are found in almost every segment of life keep them from doing things, they might as well hole up in their kitchens and make cookies for the rest of their lives. But of course, since they're friends, maybe not quite so harshly.

The first time I took a weight class, I was one of two women in a class of about 25 people total. For most of the semester, about the only time the men in the class even talked to either of us was at the leg press machine because they were surprised at how much small women can leg press relative to our size (we carry our weight lower on our bodies and actually do have a leg up on strength in that area). It seems so silly now because training with weights is so common for women.

One thing I have to teach myself over and over is that you can do things, or you can make excuses why you can't do things. There was a path I used to ride my bike on, and damned if there wasn't a woman who needed one of those walkers with wheels to get around. And she was on that path taking her walk almost every day. People like that show me that my excuses (my current one being that it's too hot out to do much) are pretty weak.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 07-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Don't call it paleo. Tell then to eat non-processed foods and point them research saying saturated fats aren't bad.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Owen is offline Senior Member
    From what I've seen, the level of interest in paleo/primal/ancestral health is about evens between men and women. There are just as many females as males producing books, media and speaking at the main events.

If the 'bro-scientists' (whatever that is) are enjoying themselves and getting healthy and fit, what's your problem?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Also, the majority of the reputable scientists out there speaking up for paleo are not derogatory towards women at all. Point your friends to these blogs (Rob Wolff, Chris Kresser, etc). Just stay away from the crossfit forums and the likes. That's the major bro habitats.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast