Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Love the Paleo way of eating and fitness, but not the Bro-Scientists? page 17

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I'm pretty sure you accidentally misread me on purpose, but for clarity:

Working against your own interest is being a dumbazz. People who fight about what someone said when they don't want to hear any more about it, thereby inciting continued discussion of it is a dumbazz. They are as much of a dumbazz as the parent standing in the middle of Walmart SCREAMING, "KIDS STOP MAKING SO MUCH NOISE YOU ARE ANNOYING ME."

That is abundantly obviously not the same thing as not liking what someone says.
    Oh, in that case I agree 100%
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hey stuff DOES happen, but honestly I'm rather pleasantly suprised how well a moderatorless forum such as this gets along.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, I totally agree with the post you edited (I guess) (now it's back- the forum must be acting odd):

The self-moderation goes very well. As it seems to on twitter.

It makes me wonder about moderation- the other forums I have been most involved in have been moderated, and I think it incites Borderline Personality Behavior- who can triangulate the moderator! This is something I have learned just recently- moderation seems to make things WORSE.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What makes someone a "dumbazz"? Because you don't like what they have to say? Find them rude because of it? I think anyone whining about freedom of speech is far worse. People are allowed to act however/say whatever they want, especially on the internet, if not anywhere else. If you don't like it, close the window. There are always going to be people you can't stand everywhere. Whining about it does no good.

I can't believe people are seriously complaining about this on a forum inhabited largely by middle aged, and or elderly women, and it is easily the most carebear forum I've ever seen.
    i can't tell if you haven't been on the internet enough, or if you've been on it too much. you are an enigma wrapped in a mystery, and one day i'll figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    But they were too strong! They had biceps! Triceps! GUnz.... Stupid pumped!
    i bet it was that guy who deadlifts gigawatts! i bet it was his fault!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    If jerks make it so that you can't get what you want out of the interaction, who loses? Answer: not them.

I'm sure you have heard the term "don't feed the trolls." Often the internet is like one of those parents who SCREAM at their kids not to make so much noise. Who is more annoying and loud, the kid or the parent? Often a sanctimonious person or crowd who won't let something go does more to divert from their own purpose than whoever they thought was annoying them to start with.

Like this thread. One annoyingly obtuse or LOLZ, who knows, person brought up Zimmerman. But it took a team of dumbazzness to keep it going.
    Look, I've been on the internet, since we I've had internet access, in the 90s. Just because someone is an a**hole on the internet doesn't mean we should all turn the other cheek "because it's on the internet". If you are teaching everyone to ignore rudeness, than who is curbing the rude? If people are permitted to be rude and insensitive, they won't stop. Ignoring them doesn't curb their behavior, it gives them carte blanche to keep on posting mean-spirited things.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Goth View Post
    Look, I've been on the internet, since we I've had internet access, in the 90s. Just because someone is an a**hole on the internet doesn't mean we should all turn the other cheek "because it's on the internet". If you are teaching everyone to ignore rudeness, than who is curbing the rude? If people are permitted to be rude and insensitive, they won't stop. Ignoring them doesn't curb their behavior, it gives them carte blanche to keep on posting mean-spirited things.
    duty_calls.png
    While waiting for the pic approval: xkcd: Duty Calls

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    it's so freakin hard to resist sometimes

soooooo hard
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    it's so freakin hard to resist sometimes

soooooo hard
    amen!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i can't tell if you haven't been on the internet enough, or if you've been on it too much. you are an enigma wrapped in a mystery, and one day i'll figure it out
    Definitely too much. I've been on the internet since 1996 regularly.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I don't see it that way at all. Interacting in the internet is a social skill as important as knowing the right dance was way back when and a business skill as important as typing. It is a skill that is not valued, not taught in school and not taught to workers, so we get far less out of social media than we should and far less out of the internet age than we could. It is the number one thing holding back future productivity in business. That's how I see it.
    Too bad most people in the world don't know how to behave in public in the first place. Mask those assholes with the veil of anonymity that the Internet provides, and you have a recipe for certain disaster
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast