Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it as hard for you to get almond butter in your town as it is in mine? page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Almonds are available in all the supermarkets here at a reasonable price, so I doubt it.
    Almonds at the health food store in my town are over $13 a pound. The nearest Trader Joe's is an hour and half away so when I happen to be in that area I buy at least 2 jars.

The price may have something to do with the bees; I noticed the price of almonds shot up this year. But then again all nuts have gotten very expensive.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 07-14-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Is it this hard for you to find almond butter? I'm thinking we're going to have to buy it off the internet if we're ever going to have any ever again.
    Nothing wrong with the internet. Amazon sells a three pack (16oz jars) of Justin's Almond butter for $30 with free shipping. That works out to $10 per jar, which $3 more than what I pay at Whole foods, but Justin's probably tastes $3 better, and it is certainly better than the $20 per jar you are talking about.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    my regular grocer has it and so does my dairy farm. my trader joe's does too.

buy almonds and make it in your food pro. you can add a bit of coconut oil to make it smoother if necessary.

total trigger food for me, so i can't have it in my house.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Make it, it's easy and cheaper.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    That's surprising! I thought many of our almonds come from CA? Perhaps they are exporting too many. Google some local farms, maybe they sell it direct.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    We don't have a Sprout's. Every health food grocery we do have sells almond butter for at minimum $20 a jar. Trader Joe's almond butter is only $5 a jar making even the Justin's twice as expensive.

A few months ago the plant that makes the almond butter for Trader Joe's had some kind of contamination so they had to pull all the almond (and peanut) butter from the shelves. Then they went a few months before they could get almond butter again. That created some kind of hoarding mentality with people so now there never is enough of it.

I don't think we can make it ourselves. We don't have anything strong enough and we're not about to purchase a $700 machine to avoid buying $10 almond butter. It looks like we'll have to order off the internet at double the usual price or else use the almond butter machines at the health food store even though it doesn't come out quite the same as the Trader Joe's kind.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    when i need nut butter for a recipe i just use my food pro. it's a very old cuisinart, so not atomic-powered by any stretch.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

And that's because the nearest place almonds are grown are probably like spain or california. Do you have any idea of how much almonds will cost in Sweden? It was only around last year or so that we even started getting almond flour as a staple in health stores :/ I haven't even looked for almond butter, because I don't think the time is ready for such a great leap...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I live in California so it makes no sense for me to face such a shortage. I can buy a 5lb bag of raw almonds at Costco no problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    It's at all of the grocery stores in my small (15,000) Midwest town. Organic costs $10-$15 while regular is as little as $6. Most stores will begin carrying an item if you just request it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast