Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to carb up without starches page

Sabre is offline Senior Member

How to carb up without starches

Primal Fuel
    A problem: I don't do so well with starches. Maybe a refeed of sweet potatoes at the weekend would be fine, but is it possible to carb up on non-starchy (or not very starchy) vegetables? I think I have some leaky gut issues, so I'm trying to avoid too much insoluble fiber (I consume a bag or two of leafy greens every day-- bad idea?) So is there anything beyond starchy roots you could use to bump carbs up to about 100g a day?

I've been on low carb paleo (though not strict keto) for the past 2 months or so, I feel good on it. But I'm concerned about cortisol. It's a priority right now to minimise cortisol.

As you'll no doubt know, there's a lot of conflicting information out there, it's a headache. Some say sustained low carb increases baseline cortisol (which is claimed to be involved in gluconeogenesis; others that glucagon, not cortisol, is the main player). Others are saying that high protein = high cortisol.

The main impediment to going full keto is I'm worried about losing muscle and elevating cortisol too high. I also have some annoying blotchy skin issues that seem to flare up when I go very low carb; maybe it's detox...

So, to summarise: for someone trying to minimise cortisol while going low carb (hopefully a weekend carb-up should do the trick), is there any good option besides root veggies? Fruit maybe? And are daily leafy greens a bad idea for someone with possible gut issues (mainly manifesting as annoying blotchiness on my skin)?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try honey and/or sucrose. Raw dairy or kefir is good if tolerated.

If you do keto right, there is no need to be concerned about cortisol or muscle loss.
    There is so much bro-science about low carb.

Read Peter Attia's fine posts for evidence-based info on vlc/keto:
    Ketosis
    Ketosis

The interplay of exercise and ketosis
    The interplay of exercise and ketosis

And how is your D3 blood level? If you are wanting to decrease overall inflammation, an optimal blood level is key. 50-60 ng/ml for ordinary folk. 60-80 ng/ml for folks like me with auto-immune or inflammatory conditions. (Asthma in my case--all symptoms gone at 80 ng/ml.)

Paleobird Guest
    Everything that Dragonfly said plus this. Why don't you try giving the big old bag of greens a rest for a while and see how you feel? Greens can often block the absorption of nutrients in the rest of your food.

Given your neurological issues, I would say that staying keto is in the best interest of your brain. The only time high cortisol would become an issue is if you weren't eating enough calories overall. Without the BAS, you would have room on your plate and your stomach for some things like cheese. In addition to the honey DF mentioned, some fruit wouldn't hurt either.

Dr Georgia Ede AHS talk about fruits and veggies: Dr.Ede's nutrition presentations
    Dr. Ede on fruits :Fruits Diagnosis: Diet
    Dr. Ede on veggies : Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    And how is your D3 blood level? If you are wanting to decrease overall inflammation, an optimal blood level is key. 50-60 ng/ml for ordinary folk. 60-80 ng/ml for folks like me with auto-immune or inflammatory conditions. (Asthma in my case--all symptoms gone at 80 ng/ml.)
    Many thanks Dragonfly. I just read your last link (Zooko & Wilcox-O'Hearn)---interesting--and I'll read the other two later tonight. Have you any thoughts on leaky gut? I suspect that's the root cause of my skin problems (minor but persistent and annoying), and there's evidence that sustained low-carb/keto is bad for the gut if you don't do carb-up refeeds every now and then, for example those "perfect health diet" guys have said something about starch being beneficial for healing the gut

I don't know what my D3 level is. I get as much sun as possible. This article put me off D3 supplementation:

http://gettingstronger.org/2012/11/w...d-supplements/
    Last edited by Sabre; 07-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Everything that Dragonfly said plus this. Why don't you try giving the big old bag of greens a rest for a while and see how you feel? Greens can often block the absorption of nutrients in the rest of your food.

Given your neurological issues, I would say that staying keto is in the best interest of your brain. The only time high cortisol would become an issue is if you weren't eating enough calories overall. Without the BAS, you would have room on your plate and your stomach for some things like cheese. In addition to the honey DF mentioned, some fruit wouldn't hurt either.

Dr Georgia Ede AHS talk about fruits and veggies: Dr.Ede's nutrition presentations
    Dr. Ede on fruits :Fruits Diagnosis: Diet
    Dr. Ede on veggies : Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet
    Greens can block the absorption of nutrients? "Holy cats!"

I thought they *were* my nutrients, a la Terry Wahls

As for the neurological issues, I've improved a hell of a lot over time, thankfully.

I'm pretty sure dairy messes me up, and it's not advised for anyone with skin issues/acne problems I hear.

I'm tempted to stay more or less in keto during the week, reduce the bag of greens, and then have a sweet potato or some fruit at the weekend.

Paleobird Guest
    Mathieu Lalonde, PhD

The nutrient density is in the animal based products.
    Things like oxalates in spinach bind up your calcium and stop it from doing you any good. Just one example.
    Dairy can be a bad idea for skin issues unless you have access to high quality raw and/or fermented dairy products. I was just tossing cheese out there as an example of a calorie dense food. It's the Kraft Processed American Cheese Food-like Substance that gives cheese a bad name.
    You could also have some avocados or coconut cream in your tea/coffee, or some macadamia nuts. Avocados have a fair amount of carbs.

Glad to hear your brain is feeling better.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I think its important to vary your macros to keep you metabolism working properly. Like my training I tend to periodize my eating patterns from VLC to LC to moderate carbs and once in awhile a carb fest. But always try to eat food that is pastured, free range, local and organic. I like to go with the seasonal eating and tend to eat more carbs in the summer. Sitting in the back yard catching some rays today, noticed the apples were ripe so ate a couple, then ate a few plums now munching on blackberries. Our peaches and nectarines should be ready in a couple of weeks...Sure is nice living in Sonoma County, California!
    Last edited by canuck416; 07-13-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks Paleobird. I've been casting a jaundiced eye (not literally) on the salads I buy at the grocery store here in Ireland. Even though they say "washed and ready to eat", there may be pesticides on the salad that irritate the gut. Christ, is there anything that isn't out to get you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast