Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: How to carb up without starches page 3

  1. #21
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That is a Danny Roddy (i.e. a sockpuppet for Ray Peat) piece and I wouldn't take it seriously.
    Yes, going low carb is stressful for the primarily sugar burning metabolisms that SAD eaters have. This is why people get "carb flu" when in this transition. Once past that transition,however, there is no evidence that there is any stress involved. Living off of ketones is the most natural thing in the world.
    What is truly stressful long term is continuing with such an inflexible sugar based metabolism that needs to be fed every three hours to stave off hypoglycemia.
    P.S. Danny Roddy makes most of his money off of a book and blog called "Hair like a Fox" which sells snake oil to insecure balding males. He is a joke.
    I find it troubling that when you see the name "Ray Peat" your brain immediately shuts off. I also find it troubling you think Danny Roddy makes his money off an ebook very few people know of. Most troubling at all, you gave it a review without reading it. I have not read it, I do not intend to, and therefore I won't review it.

    Gluconeogenesis uses cortisol to break amino acids down into the glucose your brain requires, which is substantial even in full ketosis. Low carbohydrate diets as a rule elevate stress hormones because stress hormones are what break down your lean tissues. Since fat isn't converted into glucose and your body has to break down muscle, connective tissue and organs to do so, you can make your call whether or not you call that a more "stressful" environment. Personally, I'd consider myself more stressed if I have to break down my organs for sugars instead of simply eating a potato or an apple.

    There is no such thing as a "sugar burner" or a "fat burner." THAT is a lie Mark Sisson uses to sell The Primal Blueprint, which he (unlike Danny Roddy) makes a complete living off of. You burn sugar and fat at the same time all the time. At no point does your body not burn fat and sugar. If at any point you are not burning fat, you are dead. The reason why people on the SAD generally feel awful if they don't regularly consume carbohydrate is because their mitochondria do not function properly and have low oxidative potential. They feel better on carbs than fats because carbohydrate provides more ATP per calorie than fat does. Glucose is a vastly superior fuel than fats - it is much more efficient - so when you take someone who can't metabolize energy efficiently (ironically, mostly due to too much polyunsaturated fats in their diet), they function much better on carbs since they get more bang for their buck per calorie.

    Now, when you take someone healthy and give them carbs - like an athlete - the ceiling is unlimited by comparison. As a person who sits on his butt 10 hours a day 5 days a week, works out for 4 lousy 1 hour sessions a week and stands a whopping 5'7" tall at a massive 143 lbs, I can tell you first hand the huge benefit I've felt by eating a more "Ray Peat" style diet - more carbs than fats, fats from red meats, eggs, coconut and dairy, very little nuts, no grains and I'm much more relaxed on sugar intake. I don't even buy coconut sugar anymore. Regular old brown sugar is A-OK with me in modest, non-hypercaloric quantities. Low carbohydrate dieting, even in maintenance and hypercaloric quantities, did not provide nearly the amount of energy or body heat as consuming a good amount of carbs. I had a 42 bpm resting heart rate before bed and I was always cold. Never again will I fall for the snake oil that is low carbohydrate dieting.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-16-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  2. #22
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Taquito, sweetie, let's not fight OK? It never ends well.

    I first heard of DR because of that book. Maybe that is the influence of the Derpster who is a loyal fanboy. I don't spend time on such dross either. It just calls into question other things he writes given that snake oil salesman aspect of his pitch.

    We have been around this mulberry bush too many times. You say stressful, I say not so if you are keto adapted.

    I said *primarily* sugar burner, not exclusively. Put that straw man away.

    Totally agree that mitochondrial function is key. I just think that ketosis is optimal for doing that. *For me*

    I don't doubt that your higher carb works *for you*. At least you stick with real foods unlike many of the sugar bees.

    And yes, everyone agrees PUFA's are bad. Why do you keep arguing this point?

    Sabre's case is different given his neurological issue. Don't generalize your plan to everyone.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.

  3. #23
    Gilleh's Avatar
    Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Totally agree that mitochondrial function is key. I just think that ketosis is optimal for doing that. *For me*
    How much do you bench press?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

  4. #24
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    How much do you bench press?
    Why is this relevant to the price of ice in Antarctica?

    Ketosis is optimal for me because it allows me to remain seizure free on 25% less meds.

    It also starves cancer cells while nourishing healthy cells. (look it up. real science.) Since I would rather not have a recurrence of the cancer that nearly killed me, this matters to me.

    And I can and do climb mountains.

    I'm also old enough to be your mother.

  5. #25
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    How much do you bench press?
    I'm really hoping this was "haha" stab at bro-science....

  6. #26
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I already addressed the cortisol issue in a previous evidence-based post. Did you not see it?
    The Ketogenic Diet for Health: Ketogenic Diets, Cortisol, and Stress: Part I Gluconeogenesis

    And here's a great evidence-based post about T3 and ketogenic diets:
    Low-Carb Diets and T3: A False Alarm | A Worldly Monk

    Don't bother people with facts and evidence when what they clearly want is conjecture and opinion!

  7. #27
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    From the above article Dragonfly posted about the cortisol/stress myth:
    Gluconeogenesis

    On a keto diet, your body makes the modest amount of glucose it needs out of protein in a process called gluconeogenesis (GNG). There is a widely-held misconception that for GNG to occur, there must be high levels of the stress hormone cortisol in the blood. This mistake comes out of the fact that cortisol stimulates GNG. Therefore, it is reasoned, whenever you rely on GNG, your body has to produce and circulate more cortisol. This, however, is like arguing that since a reliable way to make people laugh is to tickle them, that every time you hear someone laughing it means they are being tickled. It turns out there are other ways to make people laugh, and there are other hormones that induce GNG.

    The usual hormone to stimulate GNG is glucagon. Glucagon is produced when blood sugar gets low, and its primary function is to restore blood sugar to optimal levels. Cortisol levels rise when blood sugar reaches an even lower level. That is, the blood sugar threshold for cortisol production (55 mg/dL) is lower than the threshold for glucagon (65 mg/dL) . This lower threshold could be reached if GNG was somehow obstructed. There are some rare disorders that prevent GNG, such as Fructose 1,6-Diphosphatase Deficiency or Glycogen Storage Disease, but in most people, GNG is a straightforward, unimpeded process.
    I though the tickle analogy was great.

  8. #28
    Sabre's Avatar
    Sabre is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I already addressed the cortisol issue in a previous evidence-based post. Did you not see it?
    The Ketogenic Diet for Health: Ketogenic Diets, Cortisol, and Stress: Part I — Gluconeogenesis

    And here's a great evidence-based post about T3 and ketogenic diets:
    Low-Carb Diets and T3: A False Alarm | A Worldly Monk
    I did, I read that first article and followed up on the authors' opinions in other websites and comments they made to other blogs--I'm not convinced they're confident that they're fully correct. Someone suggested high protein might be the cause of increased cortisol and the guy replied "hmmm I never thought of that".

    Paul Jaminet warns against very low carb diets.

    I'm sticking with low carb for the moment but I want to be certain I have the best, most unbiased data. That said, the links provided in this thread are good and reassuring. Why the fuck is the myth so widespread? Nonsense beliefs based on untruths should wither away as proper data come in.
    Last edited by Sabre; 07-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.

  9. #29
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Don't bother people with facts and evidence when what they clearly want is conjecture and opinion!
    No kidding!

  10. #30
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I did, I read that first article and followed up on the authors' opinions in other websites and comments they made to other blogs--I'm not convinced they're confident that they're fully correct. Someone suggested high protein might be the cause of increased cortisol and the guy replied "hmmm I never thought of that".

    Paul Jaminet warns against very low carb diets.

    I'm sticking with low carb for the moment but I want to be certain I have the best, most unbiased data. That said, the links provided in this thread are good and reassuring. Why the fuck is the myth so widespread? Nonsense beliefs based on untruths should wither away as proper data come in.
    Unfortunately, most people take their n=1 as evidence, including Paul Jaminet. For example, he ate a low protein, low calorie, low carb diet and got scurvy. He chose to believe that the issue was carbs and has convinced a lot of people of the so-called danger of "glucose deficiency" based purely on speculation, from what I have gleaned from his writings.

    And from the many stories I have read on this and other forums, many folk who go vlc are already nutrient-depleted from previous crap diets, and/or eat too few calories, and/or aren't eating offal or seafood, and/or have a pre-existing thyroid condition ( likely caused by their high carb SAD diet, pre-Primal), and/or don't balance their electrolytes. So I am not surprised at the number of stories. Oh, and I forgot to mention the chronic cardio over-exercisers who shouldn't really be vlc in the first place.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •