Thread: Fried grated zucchini - tips? page

Stewart is offline Member

Fried grated zucchini - tips?

I've started to add zucchini to my meals recently. Easy to prepare, as in, quick rinse under the tap and then start grating the entire thing. Only problem is that I'm struggling to have a plate of it that's not soggy. I've tried a few different ways of frying it, sometimes max 2 mins but it still ends up on the soggy side.

So, any ways to avoid this?

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Zuc is very watery. Unless you bread and deep fry it, it will be soggy if you grate it. You can salt it, let it drain in a mesh strainer, rinse and twist in a lint free dishtowel. It wont be crispy but less soggy. Kind of a pita, but I make zoodles and always use this method.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I use a spiral slicer for fried zucchini. I'm not sure how grating might affect the process, but I can't imagine the texture is hugely different. I typically slice 2 medium zucchini and then microwave 2 min in a bowl. I dump it into a colander and as soon as it's cool enough to touch, I press down on it with a paper towel. It has a similar effect as salting it and letting it sit. Then I sauté in butter or coconut oil until it starts to really dry out a bit. My family loves it as a side dish. I'm pretty impressed with it as a substitute for pasta. The frying in butter gives it a texture something like al dente pasta, but better, IMO.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I use a spiral slicer for fried zucchini. I'm not sure how grating might affect the process, but I can't imagine the texture is hugely different. I typically slice 2 medium zucchini and then microwave 2 min in a bowl. I dump it into a colander and as soon as it's cool enough to touch, I press down on it with a paper towel. It has a similar effect as salting it and letting it sit. Then I sauté in butter or coconut oil until it starts to really dry out a bit. My family loves it as a side dish. I'm pretty impressed with it as a substitute for pasta. The frying in butter gives it a texture something like al dente pasta, but better, IMO.
    Ooo...I like the sound of that method Laura. I love zoodles.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

PeachPie is offline Junior Member
    Now that it's summer, I'm using zucchini all the time. I love to make fritters but you're right - it has so much water! I grate mine on a cheese grater then wrap it in a towel and squeeze it to death to get as much water out as possible. For 2 zucchini I usually add a beaten egg, a squirt of lemon juice, some oregano and parmesan. I use about 3/4 c. of almond flour, stir all of that up then add chickpea flour so it's not so wet. I fry mine in coconut oil (experiments with olive oil led to soggy fritters). Delish topped with yogurt mixed with fresh dill.

Also, to alleviate the soggy, you have to have your oil hot enough before you add the food. I'm not sure what the OP is using as breading, but that is key (and I am Southern, thus qualified to speak on frying LOL).
    Last edited by PeachPie; 07-15-2013 at 11:48 AM.

WineBiker is offline Junior Member

Good Zucchini

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    I've started to add zucchini to my meals recently. Easy to prepare, as in, quick rinse under the tap and then start grating the entire thing. Only problem is that I'm struggling to have a plate of it that's not soggy. I've tried a few different ways of frying it, sometimes max 2 mins but it still ends up on the soggy side.

So, any ways to avoid this?
    Try calabacitas - they're awesome, and it's supposed to be that way. Mix with squash (sometimes corn) and some chiles (Spicier the better I think, Hatch green chile is great if you can get it) and onion and do it on the stovetop in some evoo. AWESOME.

parakeet is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thinly slice, zucchini lengthwise (about 1/4 thick), marinate in an Asian style marinade and grill until dark/crispy on the edges. They will still be limp in the middle but oh so yummy!

I just found this recipe for zucchini fritters that I'm going to be making once the next batch of zucchini comes in from the garden.

Low Carb Zucchini Fritter Recipe | All Day I Dream About Food

Zucchini Gratin isn't crispy, but it is pretty darn tasty. (I sub almond meal for the bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of corn starch for the flour to make it more primal friendly)
    Zucchini Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
    Last edited by parakeet; 07-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.